Back to the beginning

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robcobras 81

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

Long story but I'll shorten.

Recently got my 20+ year old tamiya lunchbox back and want to fix up for my son.

Charged batteries up and plugged in, shifted the ESC and it the motor spins wheels. However batteries put into RC gear nothing happens power shows on the handset? Wondered how I start Troubleshooting RC gear, I was 16 when I originally built this so my dad usually helped out but at nearly 40 I think I got this ?. (I have a multimeter if that helps)

Also I was given a traxxas t max, similar situation.

I would happily buy radio gear if needed. Can I buy one controller and two receivers so I could run both cars from the same controller? Separate times obviously lol. (I have a boat somewhere so maybe 3 ?)

Any idea of a rundown where to start etc would be greatlllly appreciated.

Thank you
Rob

get a detailed parts manual for both. the lunch box..thats a moa motor on axel.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58347.pdf

more than likely you will want to check motor pinion gear and all bearing in drive line.. section 8 of manual shows you were the are....lube all bearing spin them in fingers see if you feel a crunchy spot if so replace

get a detailed parts manual for both. the lunch box..thats a moa motor on axel.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58347.pdf

more than likely you will want to check motor pinion gear and all bearing in drive line.. section 8 of manual shows you were the are....lube all bearing spin them in fingers see if you feel a crunchy spot if so replace
You can definetly use one remote for as many receivers as needed as long as the remote you purchase comes with a bind plug..it goes into channel three of the receiver to bind it to the remote..takes only a matter of seconds to bind remote to different receivers. Plug bind plug into channel 3, turn on remote and esc and press the bind button on the remote. The remote you get will have more specific instructions. I'm a little confused on your car issue, so the wheels spin but car doesn't have power enough to move? How old is battery? Bearings or differential gears prob all need cleaning and greasing if it's been sitting for a couple decades.

Sorry, I've been abit stuck with work and everything going on at he moment meaning kids are at home and I don't have a spare to dismantle without fingers picking bit up.

I'll have a spare bit of time to take stock of everything next week. Think dismantle clean and see if any bits are obviously broken charge batteries again and try to force the motor to spin. Then work back from there. Might be just radio equipment needing replacing.

Rob

Back