Axial Yeti Build + Upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using dry lube for bike chains and it works pretty good. I used some 40wt shock oil today as well as some red wing boot oil. :). All of them kept joint temp down.
No doubt about it, friction on the rear joint is the source of the heat.

My boy split a brand new rear shaft today. Next upgrade is a mip rear.

I bought some bike chain lube for mine the other day just waiting on my next tear down to apply it.

Min was thin enough to apply directly to the joint. A little throttle plus gravity seemed to distribute it OK.

Cool I will give it a try Saturday I got called in to work tomorrow they wanted me in today but was out with my family already, So may get lucky and play with my YETI Saturday.

My son split two more stock driveshafts so I went ahead and ordered the MIP replacement. Hoping to get it installed this weekend and test it out. Looks solid just like everything that MIP makes.

Installed the MIP rear shaft and gave it a run today. I hammered it from a stand still and she twisted all up, launched and two seconds later I heard the rear diff skipping like a snare drum.

Off to buy parts...... I may need to switch to 2S

Attachments

• IMG_20150828_184616.jpg
    IMG_20150828_184616.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 182
I have read elsewhere that some people are using the under drive gears in combo with the 3S and they seem to be holding up pretty well.

Are you using the heavy duty bevel gears or the stock ones?

I have to run my slipper a lot looser than I do on other rigs or the diff wouldn't last 5 minutes.

Are you running the stock 2-piece bevel gears or the heavy-duty single piece type in the diff?

The kit comes with the one peice HD gears, that's what I'm running

Okay, just curious because my SCX-10 came with the 2-piece and I eliminated them when I went with the 2-speed transmission.

I am running whatever came in the rtr kit. I ordered the HD gearset for it so hopefully that plus some shims will keep it together.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTCY0

Little disappointed that they stripped with so little runtime on it. Maybe I will keep the 3S for the 4x4 slashes. Those things take a beating and hold together great.

Last edited:
Pinion shot
IMG_20150830_184129~2.jpg
IMG_20150830_183958~2.jpg

It's the stock 2-piece unit. The heavy-duty version has hardened gear faces.

The HD gears are a lot harder. When I replaced mine they weren't really bad but I had new gears so I installed them, the axle housing where the inner pinion bearing sits was ate up.

This was the stock set

gears111_zpsyplcqrak.jpg

Nice. Mine has a plastic diff cup too. Maybe I should grab a metal one of those too

The HD gears are a lot harder. When I replaced mine they weren't really bad but I had new gears so I installed them, the axle housing where the inner pinion bearing sits was ate up.

This was the stock set

gears111_zpsyplcqrak.jpg

Is that a scale ARB locker? Where did you get it?

Installed the new gears and they are better but I heard them skip today when it landed a jump on the rear tires at around 75% throttle. Disappointing.
Gonna back the slipper off for now.

Times like this I miss the bombproof savage.

Back