AX10 hub slop

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robmob

LET’S GO BRANDON!
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I was working on the diffs last night and noticed a good amount of side to side slop at the axle hubs.

The rear is much worse than the fronts.

I am assuming this is normal on the AX10 as with almost all rigs, but since I race on-road touring cars and such, I find it to be unacceptable and will shim them so there is very little slop. Slop like that in a touring car would wreak havoc on handling.

Hopefully I can get some shims tonight when I go racing to fit inside the bearing recess on the rear hubs. I found enough to do one rear hub.

I realize these things aren’t subject to the handling issues of a race rig, but to grab a hold of a tire and have it go clunk clunk clunk back and forth without doing something about it would drive me insane.

weird i have never noticed till you said that, mine does it too lol.

I am just as picky as you are :hehe: Most guys running crawlers dont care since at one point in their life they will probably end up gaining slop anyways with enough use. I used to shim the pinion gears on my tlt axles and they lasted me well over a year before I had to add another shim. While others were running them with some slop between the ring and pinion gears and they would constantly take teeth off the ring gears.

I figured as much. Funny thing is the slop contributes to the gaining of even more slop.

I even took the time to shim the diffs when I installed the HD gear set.

It's just habit.

Yeah the heavy duty gears and heavy duty lockers do wonders to prevent axle slop. With axle slop, I'm referring to the axles having slow when you turn the driveshafts either way, kinda like when the u joints are going out on a 1:1 vehicle. The stock gears and lockers develop slop pretty quick and I think its the combination of the weak lockers that wear out so fast with a high power motor, along with the two piece gear design. The heavy duty components REALLY do a good job of preventing the axle from having this "slack", but I haven't seen an axial yet, or other straight axles for that matter, that didn't have a little bit of this "hub slop" that Rob is referring to.

I had only run two packs through a brand new set of axles that I built. I didn't have my heavy duty gears for that rig yet, so I built them with stock components. I had to inspect the rear axle last night, so I checked out the locker while I had it town down. It was already showing signifigant signs of wear. It made a believer out of me, I ordered two more sets of heavy duty gears and lockers this morning.

Back