ax10 electronics question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVAGE_BASHER_K4.6

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey everyone. iam a noob in the crawler scene and i have a few questions. iam planning on picking up a axial ax10 within a week or so and iam confused on the eletronics part.

1) can i use any esc? for example like this one

http://www.rcplanet.com/HPI_EN_1_ESC_with_Rev_p/hpi340.htm

iam not planning on competeing i just want it for playing around and having fun with it.

2) can i run any motor? like this one

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INTSCM5501&CartID=2

any help would be very appreciated.

thanks guys

Bert

that setup will work, but to have really good throttle control like you see the comp crawlers using, you're going to need a better ESC. The Castle sidewinder and mamba 25 ESC's are popular, and the mamba 25 can be had on ebay fairly cheap. The novak super rooster is also a really nice ESC. I'm running the novak goat crawler brushless setup with 2S LiPo.

thanks for the info charlie. iam just looking for something to get me going for a bit than ill eventually upgrade to something really nice.

also what kind of batteries do you recommend using? nimh or lipo and whats the difference between them?

and whyat makes lipo better?

again thanks and sorry for the nood questions

LiPo is very light. They also have a greater life cycle. They can carry much more MaH.

A LiPo battery weighs less than half it's nimh counterpart. It's also smaller. I've got a 2000 mah 2S LiPo battery that's only about 3 inches long, 2 inches wide, and half an inch high. With a crawler, you have to get the center of gravity as low as possible, with the weight in the front. The stock axial configuration puts the battery on top of the chassis, so it's the heaviest thing on the truck and it's the highest thing on the truck, which is a bad combination. To build a crawler, you want to move that weight down over the front axle. I've got the axial low center of gravity battery and servo plate on my crawler, so I've got the servo and the battery balanced pretty even over the front axle. With nimh cells, you will have to build a special cell configuration to balance the truck front to back and left to right, as well as lower the center of gravity. With LiPo, you just stick it next to the servo. You get much more power, and much longer runtimes. I get 45 minutes of crawling out of a 2000mah LiPo and brushless system.

do you have to get special electronics like esc and a motor to run lipo batteries or ill any esc accept them?

Back