Associated rc8.2e rtr or Losi Tenacity db pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fallguy

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Was waiting for the db pros to come back in stock and came across a discontinued team associated rc8.2e rtr at a local store. He wants $500. I know one is 1/8th and the other 1/10. And I'll be doing general light to moderate bashing, no racing. What is the better choice?

I would research each and make sure there is a good supply of parts available. Parts break whether you are bashing or not. I always research pretty much every online supplier I possibly can just to make sure parts are available before I buy a car. It isn't fun when you buy a really cool car just to find out there isn't any parts for them. Ask my son....;)

I would research each and make sure there is a good supply of parts available. Parts break whether you are bashing or not. I always research pretty much every online supplier I possibly can just to make sure parts are available before I buy a car. It isn't fun when you buy a really cool car just to find out there isn't any parts for them. Ask my son....;)

Thanks Losi seems to have good part availability for current models. Associated, I would imagine would be good too due to the popularity. I imagine some parts would be interchangeable but yes I'll research some more.

Minus part availability, I'm still looking for opinions if one is better than the other.

So $100 ($500) off basically for a rtr discontinued truggy in new in box condition or the $420 for a brand new 1/10 buggy/short course?

The truggy is going to cost more as batteries and parts are going to cost more but nothing drives like a truggy. The db pro is an amazing 1/10th scale buggy. It's the size of a 1/8 buggy but built a little lighter so it can run on 2s or 3s instead of 4s or 6s like the 1/8. It also opens up more places to run as it is smaller. .
So the real question is are you ok with spending more money on a truck that is going to have part availability issues in the near future just to have something that drives a little better or spend less money to have parts availability for a longer time with a platform that has a ton of upgrade ability that unfortunately will not handle the rougher terrain as well.
I sold my 1/8 truggy (losi 8right T E 3.0 race kit) and picked up the db pro. I'm not so worried about messing it up as the db cost 1/3 the truggy and parts for the 3.0 are getting hard to find

So $100 ($500) off basically for a rtr discontinued truggy in new in box condition or the $420 for a brand new 1/10 buggy/short course?

The truggy is going to cost more as batteries and parts are going to cost more but nothing drives like a truggy. The db pro is an amazing 1/10th scale buggy. It's the size of a 1/8 buggy but built a little lighter so it can run on 2s or 3s instead of 4s or 6s like the 1/8. It also opens up more places to run as it is smaller. .
So the real question is are you ok with spending more money on a truck that is going to have part availability issues in the near future just to have something that drives a little better or spend less money to have parts availability for a longer time with a platform that has a ton of upgrade ability that unfortunately will not handle the rougher terrain as well.
I sold my 1/8 truggy (losi 8right T E 3.0 race kit) and picked up the db pro. I'm not so worried about messing it up as the db cost 1/3 the truggy and parts for the 3.0 are getting hard to find

Great points, thanks for the reply. In the time since I posted this, I'm leaning towards the db pro. But seeing the other in person and being able to use it now as opposed to waiting until the end of February makes it tempting.

This is coming from an ex-Associated RC8.2e FT owner... look elsewhere for your next RC. I sold my buggy many months ago, because of one stinking part is nowhere to be found. The diff pinion gear is the regular occuring item that gets the most questions ask on where to find one on the interwebs. I feel sorry for any new buyers of the DB8 Nomad. Sure, a diff pinion gear on a RC8 platform rarely gives out under normal use, but throw in a blown bearing into the mix...your day ends quick.

As a current owner of BOTH rigs that you are looking at, the RC82.e is, by far, the sturdier rig. However, the price of $500 is WAY too high for a long discontinued buggy. Also, as mentioned above, parts can be an issue. I would only buy an RC8.2e if I could also land a windfall of spare parts. I bought my RC8.2e FT 4 years ago from a guy who was retiring from racing. He had rebuilt the car to perfection with some upgrades and put it up for sale. It was a complete car with Tekin sensored ESC and motor. I snagged it for $340. At the time, it was easy to get parts. However, about a year ago, I saw a fellow on RCTech.net selling his HUGE stock of spare parts for an RC8.2e. I bought everything! I now have enough to keep me going till I die. Therefore, I continue to be a happy owner of the RC8.2e!

With all that said, you are then probably better off buying the Losi Tenacity DB Pro because it is a current model and is a decent rig. It is based on the Losi TEN SCTE 2.0 which was a strong truck. Many of the parts are common, but I cannot give you a list. Just compare manuals. The big unknown between the two is the different chassis on the DB Pro and how that affects part fitment from the older TEN truck. Hot Racing makes a few parts for the TEN that will work on the DB Pro. I think that MIP does as well.

Before you buy anything, it would be wise to check all three of your diffs to see if there are only (2) planetary gears inside!
If there are only (2), then the only upgrade you need to do is add (2) more of the same planetary gears to each diff. It will make a huge difference in strength of the diffs.

Here is why I make that warning: The recent Losi Tenacity NON-pro rigs (i.e. Tenacity MT, Tenacity T, Tenacity SCT) were intentionally designed with only (2) planetary gears in the diff. Why? Who knows: Weight? Cost? Stupidity? As proof, here are some pictures.

FIRST is a screenshot from the Losi Tenacity DB Pro parts explosion for the diff. It has (4) planetary gears, as it should. But take a close look at the part number.

NEXT is a screenshot from an older Losi Tenacity Desert Buggy (NON-Pro). It has only (2) planetary gears.
Take a close look at the part number.

FINALLY, here is a screenshot of a bag of parts from Losi, labeled PN LOS232029:

From what I understand, Losi intends for the DB-Pro to have the (4) planetary gears, but they did not change the part number. Big mistake! They may eventually make an update to the manual. Until then, just make sure all of your diffs have (4) planetary gears!

There is also the option of going to the Heavy Duty diffs used on the Losi TEN SCTE 2.0. They will fit on the DB-Pro. All of the part numbers are different, the diff case has been improved and the internals use (4) planetary gears. Watch this YouTube video. He provides all the part numbers in the video, and I verified that all are available now:

FINALLY
Here are some after market parts for a Losi TEN that "may" also work on your DB Pro (I have not tried any on mine yet):
STLB2123B, ST Racing Concepts aluminum steering rack set
JMP2112, Jammin Products carbon fiber steering drag link
LOSB2124, Losi steering posts/tubes, and hardware set
8mm x 5mm x2.5mm sealed ball bearings to use with LOSB2124
TLR1555, 23 tooth aluminum servo horn
LOS334011, Tenacity aluminum rear hubs (set of 2)
TLR5062, aluminum bleeder shock caps (2 per bag)
MIP18320, 41 tooth mod1 Tenacity spur gear

HAPPY BASHING MY RC BROTHER!!

Last edited:
Back