Associated rc8.2e rtr or Losi Tenacity db pro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

Register Log in

Fallguy

RC Newbie
Was waiting for the db pros to come back in stock and came across a discontinued team associated rc8.2e rtr at a local store. He wants $500. I know one is 1/8th and the other 1/10. And I'll be doing general light to moderate bashing, no racing. What is the better choice?

Tunedpipe

RCNT Qualifier
Military Veteran
I would research each and make sure there is a good supply of parts available. Parts break whether you are bashing or not. I always research pretty much every online supplier I possibly can just to make sure parts are available before I buy a car. It isn't fun when you buy a really cool car just to find out there isn't any parts for them. Ask my son....;)

Fallguy

RC Newbie
I would research each and make sure there is a good supply of parts available. Parts break whether you are bashing or not. I always research pretty much every online supplier I possibly can just to make sure parts are available before I buy a car. It isn't fun when you buy a really cool car just to find out there isn't any parts for them. Ask my son....;)
Thanks Losi seems to have good part availability for current models. Associated, I would imagine would be good too due to the popularity. I imagine some parts would be interchangeable but yes I'll research some more.

Minus part availability, I'm still looking for opinions if one is better than the other.

E-fanatic

RCNT Basher
RC Driving Style
Bashing, Racing, Flying
So $100 ($500) off basically for a rtr discontinued truggy in new in box condition or the $420 for a brand new 1/10 buggy/short course?

The truggy is going to cost more as batteries and parts are going to cost more but nothing drives like a truggy. The db pro is an amazing 1/10th scale buggy. It's the size of a 1/8 buggy but built a little lighter so it can run on 2s or 3s instead of 4s or 6s like the 1/8. It also opens up more places to run as it is smaller. .
So the real question is are you ok with spending more money on a truck that is going to have part availability issues in the near future just to have something that drives a little better or spend less money to have parts availability for a longer time with a platform that has a ton of upgrade ability that unfortunately will not handle the rougher terrain as well.
I sold my 1/8 truggy (losi 8right T E 3.0 race kit) and picked up the db pro. I'm not so worried about messing it up as the db cost 1/3 the truggy and parts for the 3.0 are getting hard to find

Fallguy

RC Newbie
So $100 ($500) off basically for a rtr discontinued truggy in new in box condition or the $420 for a brand new 1/10 buggy/short course?

The truggy is going to cost more as batteries and parts are going to cost more but nothing drives like a truggy. The db pro is an amazing 1/10th scale buggy. It's the size of a 1/8 buggy but built a little lighter so it can run on 2s or 3s instead of 4s or 6s like the 1/8. It also opens up more places to run as it is smaller. .
So the real question is are you ok with spending more money on a truck that is going to have part availability issues in the near future just to have something that drives a little better or spend less money to have parts availability for a longer time with a platform that has a ton of upgrade ability that unfortunately will not handle the rougher terrain as well.
I sold my 1/8 truggy (losi 8right T E 3.0 race kit) and picked up the db pro. I'm not so worried about messing it up as the db cost 1/3 the truggy and parts for the 3.0 are getting hard to find
Great points, thanks for the reply. In the time since I posted this, I'm leaning towards the db pro. But seeing the other in person and being able to use it now as opposed to waiting until the end of February makes it tempting.

HeavyBag

RCNT Qualifier
This is coming from an ex-Associated RC8.2e FT owner... look elsewhere for your next RC. I sold my buggy many months ago, because of one stinking part is nowhere to be found. The diff pinion gear is the regular occuring item that gets the most questions ask on where to find one on the interwebs. I feel sorry for any new buyers of the DB8 Nomad. Sure, a diff pinion gear on a RC8 platform rarely gives out under normal use, but throw in a blown bearing into the mix...your day ends quick.