Arrma Senton Mega some quick thoughts (update)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Update to this thread:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...a-tower-hobbies-scratch-and-dent-sale.135715/

Have taken the Arrma Senton Mega 4x4 out a few times now after it arrived on Sunday. In no particular order, here are some thoughts:

- the 19mph most YouTubers seems to get with the stock battery is correct, although it is a NiMH so that speed goes down as you run the pack.
- sticking a 3s lipo (manufacturer says 2s compatible) in it gets it up to 30mph- a bit upgrade, but definitely not good for the car. I literally stuck it in the car, drove it 40 feet away and back so I can’t speak to temperatures on 3s.
- the 30mph advertised on the box is not achievable with things provided in the box. You have to buy a separate 27t pinion which I have not been able to find an official version sold by Arrma, which means I haven’t tested it on 27t yet.
- it’s pretty quiet- a lot quieter than my Vorteks.
- it’s really hard to flip it and have it stay upside down?? At least 90% of the time it does a full roll and ends up on its wheels again.
- steering range is pretty good and it makes some decently tight turns
- from a complete stop the car starts going fine but once above a walking pace feels pretty sluggish
- nonetheless, it can still do burnouts and some nice donuts which I didn’t expect!
- it’s $150 on the “scratch and dent” sale from Tower Hobbies right now although I think they are almost gone. The car has no scratches or dents just a European charger. Adapters are $10 on Amazon, so it seems like a nice gift you could give to family or friends without throwing up or having second thoughts about giving it away as you hand it to them!

Now for a couple questions.
I want a better lipo battery for it but I’d rather get a 3s battery in case I want to use it for a different better car, is there an adapter that takes the voltage down to 7.4v? If so, is that something that would work?
Also, Should I bother upgrading the electronics (seems to be $50 on banggood which is where I would buy them) or just save my money? Also this is for my sister who has a *cough cough* different driving “style” than me so more power isn’t necessarily great 😉

For the pinion, I would get a hardened Robinson Racing. I can safely say they should out last oem pinions.

For the power system, I would go brushless with one that can be programmed. Drop the punch control, and throttle range in forward and reverse. Doing that, you can get the same rpm and a kil more torque then brushed and theoretically cooler running.

Update to this thread:
https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...a-tower-hobbies-scratch-and-dent-sale.135715/

Have taken the Arrma Senton Mega 4x4 out a few times now after it arrived on Sunday. In no particular order, here are some thoughts:

- the 19mph most YouTubers seems to get with the stock battery is correct, although it is a NiMH so that speed goes down as you run the pack.
- sticking a 3s lipo (manufacturer says 2s compatible) in it gets it up to 30mph- a bit upgrade, but definitely not good for the car. I literally stuck it in the car, drove it 40 feet away and back so I can’t speak to temperatures on 3s.
- the 30mph advertised on the box is not achievable with things provided in the box. You have to buy a separate 27t pinion which I have not been able to find an official version sold by Arrma, which means I haven’t tested it on 27t yet.
- it’s really hard to flip it and have it stay upside down?? At least 90% of the time it does a full roll and ends up on its wheels again.
- from a complete stop the car starts going fine but once above a walking pace feels pretty sluggish
- nonetheless, it can still do burnouts and some nice donuts which I didn’t expect!
- it’s $150 on the “scratch and dent” sale from Tower Hobbies right now although I think they are almost gone. The car has no scratches or dents just a European charger. Adapters are $10 on Amazon, so it seems like a nice gift you could give to family or friends without throwing up or having second thoughts about giving it away as you hand it to them!

I want a better lipo battery for it but I’d rather get a 3s battery in case I want to use it for a different better car, is there an adapter that takes the voltage down to 7.4v? If so, is that something that would work?
Also, Should I bother upgrading the electronics (seems to be $50 on banggood which is where I would buy them) or just save my money? Also this is for my sister who has a *cough cough* different driving “style” than me so more power isn’t necessarily great 😉
Just a heads up, I did another 3s run after work today and the motor is dead dead dead. After about 10 min, I checked it and it was really hot, so I ran it some more. Checked it again, manually cause I still haven't gotten a new 9v for my temp gun, burned my finger. So I ran it some more and the motor made a funny noise, kinda like when your dog gets ahold of a rabbit, that really high pitched screeching sound, and now it doesn't spin any more. Weird huh 😂.

I'm still kind of surprised the esc didn't melt first. I have a few Traxxas brand titan brushed motors laying around. If I have time before the brushless stuff shows up, I'll run one of those and see what fails next.

To the OP, I'd skip the $50 Amazon stuff and buy the factory brushless kit. You can get it from Jennysrc for around $100. I did that a few weeks ago and it performs great on 3s. No temp issues and top speed of 40-45 on a 17 tooth pinion.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to step a 3s lipo down to 7.4v. Anything is possible. I could build a thermal resistor circuit for a 3s to step it down but not easy or cost effective.

To the OP, I'd skip the $50 Amazon stuff and buy the factory brushless kit. You can get it from Jennysrc for around $100. I did that a few weeks ago and it performs great on 3s. No temp issues and top speed of 40-45 on a 17 tooth pinion.

As far as I know, there is no easy way to step a 3s lipo down to 7.4v. Anything is possible. I could build a thermal resistor circuit for a 3s to step it down but not easy or cost effective.
Nice! Is there an actual kit listed or are you just combining the motor and esc cost? Are there any parts I 100% need such as a motor mount, metal gears etc?

It was around $100 for the motor and esc. Just get the combo for the factory brushless senton or big rock, seliminator.

You should replace the motor mount with the upgraded aluminum one but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. You should also add the driveshaft support but again, not absolutely necessary. Same with the clutch. The brushless version runs a slipper clutch eleminator. I think the factory brushed stuff would hold up for a while.

Update to this thread:

Brushless no name motors can be hit or miss, but in general they work decent. But I never had any luck with no name esc. I would highly suggest to buy anything like factory spectrum, hobbywing, castle, or in the worst case scenario something from hobbyking. Bangood and eBay esc is just the biggest waste of money

Back