Arrma Senton good or not

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah Zimmerman

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
So my first Arrma vehicle is a Senton 4x4 Mega. I did not care about all out speed so I thought this would be a good durable basher to start with. It seems like this thing was poorly designed. I have only run a few packs through it but every run has been bad. Driving on dirt and gravel is a nightmare. Rocks get lodged in the steering assembly and you can't turn. Rocks get stuck next to the driveshaft and destroy it. Rocks get stuck under the spur gear and destroy it. Has anyone had good luck with this vehicle? I thought it was made for offroad. Arrma tough? Any ideas here?

The steering servo issue is really well known, I get rocks and nut shells in my Senton’s servo area, but not my Typhon’s. I think it’s from the tires kicking up rocks and other junk into the chassis and getting it lodged in the servo area, it’s a closed-body issue I believe since my cousin’s Granite doesn’t have that issue. There are printable covers, but it requires a 3D printer. Try Scorched Parts fenders.

Due to the design, short track truck are like dirt vacuums.
I got a mesh cover for my Slash, and it kept out all the pebbles that could cause damages. People complain about heat build up, but I just pay close attention to the temp. Take breaks, to let things cool off. More so, on hot days.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJSKQHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_FHCA4FAYE0306JBJ0FCK
0420212101.jpg

The steering servo issue is really well known, I get rocks and nut shells in my Senton’s servo area, but not my Typhon’s. I think it’s from the tires kicking up rocks and other junk into the chassis and getting it lodged in the servo area, it’s a closed-body issue I believe since my cousin’s Granite doesn’t have that issue. There are printable covers, but it requires a 3D printer. Try Scorched Parts fenders.
Yes, it is well known that it is a terrible design? I dont feel like I should have to upgrade a brand new $300 rc car just so I can drive it. I also doubt those fenders would change much. I even tried a hair net over the chasis but poop still got in there, especially small debris under the spur gear. You can't disagree this was poor design
Due to the design, short track truck are like dirt vacuums.
I got a mesh cover for my Slash, and it kept out all the pebbles that could cause damages. People complain about heat build up, but I just pay close attention to the temp. Take breaks, to let things cool off. More so, on hot days.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09GJSKQHV/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_i_FHCA4FAYE0306JBJ0FCK
View attachment 140707
Slash and senton are completely different cars and chasis

Yes, it is well known that it is a terrible design? I dont feel like I should have to upgrade a brand new $300 rc car just so I can drive it. I also doubt those fenders would change much. I even tried a hair net over the chasis but poop still got in there, especially small debris under the spur gear. You can't disagree this was poor design

I 100% disagree that it was poor design. It isn't 100% amazing, but no RC car is. Rather, I would say it is generally a poor choice to run in small loose rocks and gravel in general. My Tekno gathers rocks, my Losi gathers rocks, my TRX6 and UDR gathered rocks. Gravel kills cars.

I 100% disagree that it was poor design. It isn't 100% amazing, but no RC car is. Rather, I would say it is generally a poor choice to run in small loose rocks and gravel in general. My Tekno gathers rocks, my Losi gathers rocks, my TRX6 and UDR gathered rocks. Gravel kills cars.
A wood chip from my local elementary school playground sanded down the center driveshaft in my Typhon 3s, I agree with you.

A wood chip from my local elementary school playground sanded down the center driveshaft in my Typhon 3s, I agree with you.
I have had to dig pea-sized rocks out from the center driveshaft on 4 wheel drive Traxxas, and from the steering assembly on my ERevo many moons ago. This isn't a "Arrma is garbage" issue, this is a "know where you drive" issue.

They're both sct class. Sure the chassis are of different designs, but the characteristic did do share is that they have smaller tires to be low to the ground for better lcg and the tires are under the body. Tires under the body will be throwing debris under the body and settling into the chassis.
Regardless of the design of chassis, the mesh cover I mentioned, "seals" the internal from large debris that could lodge and cause damage to moving parts.

Last edited:
So my first Arrma vehicle is a Senton 4x4 Mega. I did not care about all out speed so I thought this would be a good durable basher to start with. It seems like this thing was poorly designed. I have only run a few packs through it but every run has been bad. Driving on dirt and gravel is a nightmare. Rocks get lodged in the steering assembly and you can't turn. Rocks get stuck next to the driveshaft and destroy it. Rocks get stuck under the spur gear and destroy it. Has anyone had good luck with this vehicle? I thought it was made for offroad. Arrma tough? Any ideas here?
I must be lucky then. I run mine on concrete, gravel, dirt, grass, jump it 15+ feet in the air, and, in 3 years, i have destroyed 2 sets of front lower arms and links, one driveshaft, and had an issue with a bearing that melted to the rear diff and caused it to lock up. I run mine on 2S and 3S. It currently runs an Arrma BLX100 ESC paired with a 3650 3970KV motor from a DHK Raz-R i totally destroyed. Mine started out as a V1 Granite mega that i put the Senton Chassis and nerf bars on. If you look on YouTube under the same screen name i use here, and look through the few videos i have on there, i run all my vehicles at the same places, which means the Graniton has been run at a BMX track, a pit full of old gravel and stuff the city dumps when they dig up roads to redo them, and a concrete skate park. Just recently i hammered it bad at a skate park in the snow and cold, and the only issue i had was destroying both front lower arms for the second time since I've owned it.

I left my Dusty Motors cover at home when I went racing a couple of weeks ago... This is a slash 4x4 aluminium center shaft after a few hours of running in an abandoned quarry.

20211219_170047.jpg

So... Poop happens. Every platform has it's shortcomings. Check out Arrmaforum to see what people do to address them.

I agree. Any RC car is going to suffer some shortcomings if driven in abusive terrain. Imagine driving a full sized vehicle in a similarly scaled environment. You would face even more problems. I have owned many RC cars over the years, and currently have about 25 in our collection. Not a single one of them currently running won't get a pebble somewhere that wreaks havoc from time to time.

Short course trucks are more built for a track environment. They are not really bashers, but hobbyists tend to bash anything and everything. If your desire is to drive your RC in an environment it is not designed for, then mod it to do what you want.

Last edited:
It is good to see this is not just an Arrma issue. I wish I had dirt areas near me with no rocks or gravel but that is not the case. It is interesting that the associated sct seems to be the only truck that comes with a mesh inner body cover. I have looked through the arrma forums and there seems to be different opinions on the fenders and mesh bags. It really seems like the best option is swapping for a typhon body. Either way, it kinda sucks to have to spend more money on a brand new truck just so I can drive it in dirt. Looks like I will be fabricating a custom cover now.

I agree. Any RC car is going to suffer some shortcomings if driven in abusive terrain. Imagine driving a full sized vehicle in a similarly scaled environment. You would face even more problems. I have owned many RC cars over the years, and currently have about 25 in our collection. Not a single one of them currently running won't get a pebble somewhere that wreaks havoc from time to time.

Short course trucks are more built for a track environment. They are not really bashers, but hobbyists tend to bash anything and everything. If your desire is to drive your RC in an environment it is not designed for, then mod it to do what you want.
I understand what you are saying. I have broken many rc parts in the past including problems caused by dust and debris getting into moving parts. I have also seen problems with full scale vehicles caused by rocks and dirt. I did choose this vehicle specifically because of reviews and opinions of it being very tough and durable. Here is a quote from the description on Arrma's website: "DESIGNED FAST, DESIGNED TOUGH — built for exciting bashing speeds and extreme, all-terrain durability". I completely understand things will break and no car is perfect. You must agree that it is somewhat disappointing to run a brand new truck and have to stop and clean it out every 30 seconds of driving. I am not saying that Arrma sucks, I am only trying to share and learn from my experience. After I make an inner body cover, I bet this thing will be pretty solid.

I have had that issue also. I have a 3D printed cover over servo area on my senton, as said above I try not to run in small gravel. But then things like this can still happen 😳😂
EFD0C967-2E73-4464-81DB-3F6595CFD5CF.jpeg

It there a way to protect the specific section that is giving you a problem? Possibly a 3d printed cover for the area? I understand the frustration between advertising and reality, but with a little injenuity it can probably be overcome.

It there a way to protect the specific section that is giving you a problem? Possibly a 3d printed cover for the area? I understand the frustration between advertising and reality, but with a little injenuity it can probably be overcome.
I have seen some of the 3d printed steering area covers but have not seen any for sale. I plan on making a full custom inner body cover. I think I can make something fairly effective for not too much money.