Arrma BLX100 VS HW 10BL120 opinions for winter use.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As the title says, I'm looking for opinions on both the Arrma BLX100 and HobbyWing 10BL120 ESC. I will be running it on 2S and, at times, 3S, in snow and water, so which one would be better for that? It will be in a 4WD SCT that is modified with Duratrax Lockup MT 2.8's, and paired with either a 3300KV 3660, or a 3660 3800KV motor.

As the title says, I'm looking for opinions on both the Arrma BLX100 and HobbyWing 10BL120 ESC. I will be running it on 2S and, at times, 3S, in snow and water, so which one would be better for that? It will be in a 4WD SCT that is modified with Duratrax Lockup MT 2.8's, and paired with either a 3300KV 3660, or a 3660 3800KV motor.
The 10bl120 is not waterproof, not even resistant. And its not created for 3660 size motors, though it could handle 3660 in those KV ratings thats not it's intent. Its mostly for buggies and touring cars. The manual states "for large trucks and 4x4s it can be used in crawlers" not bashers or racers.
You would be better off getting the Arrma. Other good choices are the Hobbywing WP-SC8, a Surpass 80amp or even a 120amp sensorLESS is inexpensive waterproof-ish and reliable enough, or for the absolute best basher bang for your buck & most versatile & most powerful per dollar spent is the Traxxas VXL 3355X (NOT the 3355R, the X makes all the difference!).
The 3355x is still available at one online store for a mere $80 and supplies 200amps constant, handles both Brushed AND Brushless AND Sensored AND Sensorless, sets up automatically for any motor so its simple to use AND it has absolutely NO MOTOR TURN LIMIT!!!!!!
Like i said, it cannot be beat per bashing dollar spent , hands down don't even try!

The 10bl120 is not waterproof, not even resistant.
I have ran both the 10BL60 and 10BL120, consistently, in water, snow and mud, and they held up better in extreme conditions than the Arrma BLX100 did. The BLX100 died the first time it got soaked, but, until i lost everything recently, i had 3 year old WP-10BL60's that were strictly for winter use in 2 and 4WD SCT's. The only 10BL120 i ever owned, i ran in snow and water, and it lasted all of last winter with no issues. Oddly, the 10BL60 has the fact that it is waterproof as a selling point, but, nothing i read when i bought the 10BL120 said whether it was or wasn't, so, i took a chance and tried it anyway. As for the Traxxas, i would rather stay away from them, for many personal reasons. As for the rest of what you listed, i have never tried any of them, since, for most everything i run, a WP 10BL60 and a 3550 motor work just fine, even in the 4WD stuff i had. I only started looking into the 120 because of a debate i got into over the 60, and, for what i was using them for, the 60 worked perfectly fine, so, i didnt see any reason to spend more on the BLX100, until i found them and the 120 for roughly what i was paying for the 60's, and, since i can get two 60's for the price of that one TRX, if i ever get back into it, ill personally stick with them.

that hobbywing is awsome

i drive alot in snow and water.

Please buy one bottle of this CorrosionX HD

1 expensive yes, but it last LOONG time. You only need use little 1-2 times every month.
So one Can will last you Minium 1year, i believe 2. i love this. GAME CHANGER !!!
2 Spray
receiver,
servo,
esc,
motor ,
also all connections with this please, You will NEVER have any issues more Never !!!

CorrosionX_HD-500x500.jpg

i have use it for 2years now

this make also NOT Waterproof servos and everything totally waterproof. DAS BOOT U96 style

this will be your new favorite i promise

A MUST HAVE in snow, and rain, also river crawling

ALSO remember extra grease the dry bearings, all bearings come almost dry, open one side seal, push in MARINE GREASE , fill the bearings with 75% grease atleast ( ALOT ) marine grease. And you will have corro/rust ,waterproof bearings that runs smooth LOONG time. 2x3 longer life time
Bearings sadly comes only 2-5% filled, you must add alot more, almost full !!!.

Marine Grease = buy one big tube ( cheap ) and the best for bearings , no doubd , this will last MANY years

b425be1d-23dd-48e2-b574-7bef845a2fb9.jpg

After i start use these two products , i now do my RC driving in heavy rain,, rivers, and snow LIKE A BOSS !

Last edited:
that hobbywing is awsome

i drive alot in snow and water.

Please buy one bottle of this CorrosionX HD

1 expensive yes, but it last LOONG time. You only need use little 1-2 times every month.
So one Can will last you Minium 1year, i believe 2. i love this. GAME CHANGER !!!
2 Spray
receiver,
servo,
esc,
motor ,
also all connections with this please, You will NEVER have any issues more Never !!!

CorrosionX_HD-500x500.jpg

i have use it for 2years now

this make also NOT Waterproof servos and everything totally waterproof. DAS BOOT U96 style

this will be your new favorite i promise

A MUST HAVE in snow, and rain, also river crawling

ALSO remember extra grease the dry bearings, all bearings come almost dry, open one side seal, push in MARINE GREASE , fill the bearings with 75% grease atleast ( ALOT ) marine grease. And you will have corro/rust ,waterproof bearings that runs smooth LOONG time. 2x3 longer life time
Bearings sadly comes only 2-5% filled, you must add alot more, almost full !!!.

Marine Grease = buy one big tube ( cheap ) and the best for bearings , no doubd , this will last MANY years

b425be1d-23dd-48e2-b574-7bef845a2fb9.jpg

After i start use these two products , i now do my RC driving in heavy rain,, rivers, and snow LIKE A BOSS
Honestly, i have never used any waterproofing of any kind, and, other than screws that rust, i have never had an issue with electronics, other than a BLX100 that died after being submerged.

Honestly, i have never used any waterproofing of any kind, and, other than screws that rust, i have never had an issue with electronics, other than a BLX100 that died after being submerged.

Dont be a NOOB Beginner
Use the stuff i show
Never dead anymore. just BASH HARDER ,. rivers no issues

Back