around what temp range should we be staying to prolong engine life for a .28?

• Thread starter pelicanprentice
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
hello, i know this has been discussed 1000 times but i just wanted to discuss in 2021, maybe things changed. so i have a savage x 4.6 and i used to use 20% nitro however i just bought a nitro with 30% nitro and 9% oil, i know the oil might be a tad lower but my reasoning was just to run a tad richer and should be the same thing as running more oil.
ever since i put this in my truck it started to wheelie!! so it of course is making a bit more power. however strictly to keep my engine running tip top and prolong the life, what temp range should i be at?

thanks!

Most manufacturers suggest between about 240-280F. Personally I'll let mine go to about 280-290F Once its starts hitting that 280 mark then I start trying to make adjustments to cool it down.

Last edited:
They you that so you burn your engine up faster. Sure it runs great but it will bite you later. You should read the link I posted it's very informative.

They you that so you burn your engine up faster. Sure it runs great but it will bite you later. You should read the link I posted it's very informative.
That explains why I've got nitro engines that are 8-12 years old that still run. :hehe:

Bye Felicia 🤦‍♂️

I don't run nitro much anymore, but I've had engines that run fine at 280 (traxxas) and others that run fine at 220, but most seem to run around 240F-270F when they are running well. I try to go by sound, power and smoke output with temps being something I check to see where that engine is at when it looks, feels and sounds like it's running well. Oddly, mine rarely have a ton of smoke output. I've seen videos where there's a smoke screen following the RC's it seems. Not sure if it's the fuel I run or if I just run on the lean side. The mess coming out of the pipe would suggest I don't too lean.

I've run byrons 25% nitro for many years, but now that they no longer make fuel, I'll eventually try another brand. The gallon or so I have though will likely last me a couple years, or until it goes bad. It's not like it was back in the day when I'd go through 5-6 gallons a year.

It's not like it was back in the day when I'd go through 5-6 gallons a year.
Man I feel this. 12 years ago when i first started in RC I rarely did anything else. fast forward 12 years and now I'm pushin 50, married, bought a house, and took a salaried supervisory position. Now I feel like I got very little time to do anything fun anymore and if I do I'm usually to tired to do it lol. Oh, almost forgot about the other hobby I picked up which is my 392 T/A. Even she barely gets driven. lol

Back