Are these two Tamiya buggies worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_RC_Dude

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new, second car for me (I currently have an upgraded, well loved Wltoys 144001, nothing wrong with it, just want to expand my "garage"). Thing is, my budget is about $120. I know that's not a lot to work with, but there are still options. I'm not really interested in the Wltoys 124016, 7, 8, or 9, because that'd just be very similar to what I have already (they are all built on the same platform). I'm mostly interested in off-road, but don't really care what kind of vehicle (buggy, truggy, truck, SCT). Something that's 1/10 scale would be nice, but I know at this price they are not super common. I was browsing on Amain the other day, and saw these two Tamiya kits. I've never built a kit before, nor have I done a full rebuild (I do know how to do somethings, like how to rebuild shocks). I think it'd be fun to assemble the car myself. Are these two buggies easily upgradeable, are they versatile, at least somewhat durable (just don't want my hard work to fall to pieces while driving up and down the street! lol), somewhat easy to work on, can I source parts from known shops, does it handle well, is it good quality, ect.

Oops, almost forgot, here are the two buggies!
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya...ggy-kit-gun-metal-tam47446/p-qqqvtzrq7b2cqctz
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya...ff-road-buggy-kit-tam58628/p-qeakqsrqnzzxactz

Thanks in advance everyone, cheers!

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new, second car for me (I currently have an upgraded, well loved Wltoys 144001, nothing wrong with it, just want to expand my "garage"). Thing is, my budget is about $120. I know that's not a lot to work with, but there are still options. I'm not really interested in the Wltoys 124016, 7, 8, or 9, because that'd just be very similar to what I have already (they are all built on the same platform). I'm mostly interested in off-road, but don't really care what kind of vehicle (buggy, truggy, truck, SCT). Something that's 1/10 scale would be nice, but I know at this price they are not super common. I was browsing on Amain the other day, and saw these two Tamiya kits. I've never built a kit before, nor have I done a full rebuild (I do know how to do somethings, like how to rebuild shocks). I think it'd be fun to assemble the car myself. Are these two buggies easily upgradeable, are they versatile, at least somewhat durable (just don't want my hard work to fall to pieces while driving up and down the street! lol), somewhat easy to work on, can I source parts from known shops, does it handle well, is it good quality, ect.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya...ggy-kit-gun-metal-tam47446/p-qqqvtzrq7b2cqctz
https://www.amainhobbies.com/tamiya...ff-road-buggy-kit-tam58628/p-qeakqsrqnzzxactz

In my opinion, the Tamiya kits aren’t worth it due to them using self-tapping screws and bushings instead of ball bearings. At that point get a Traxxas Bandit or Rustler as they’re better than those buggies you linked. Even an Arrma Granite Voltage is better.

They are both great starter kits. I would highly recommend getting ball bearings for these. They come with plastic bushings, and those wear pretty quick. Especially in the gearbox. When they wear, the gears get sloppy and start to strip. If you don't get the bearings, make sure to lube gearbox really good.

In my opinion, the Tamiya kits aren’t worth it due to them using self-tapping screws and bushings instead of ball bearings. At that point get a Traxxas Bandit or Rustler as they’re better than those buggies you linked. Even an Arrma Granite Voltage is better.
Yeah, the bushings are disappointing, I was hoping that maybe they moved away from the self tapping screws. I could, but that's just more upfront cost, but I know, after I buy a radio/receiver for those Tamiya kits, they'll be at around the same price as the Traxxas RTRs. I have looked at the Voltage, but am still considering.
They are both great starter kits. I would highly recommend getting ball bearings for these. They come with plastic bushings, and those wear pretty quick. Especially in the gearbox. When they wear, the gears get sloppy and start to strip. If you don't get the bearings, make sure to lube gearbox really good.
Thanks! I sighed when I saw the bushings, my 144001 has bearings and it's ~$80-$90! Are the good quality, and do they handle well?

either 1 of those rc linked off some good n bad. can you get parts? tt02 some...I've never had a issue with screws in plastic w that brand only only minor 1s with other..id get the 4 wd thats just me.mild brushless and have at it

either 1 of those rc linked off some good n bad. can you get parts? tt02 some...I've never had a issue with screws in plastic w that brand only only minor 1s with other..id get the 4 wd thats just me.mild brushless and have at it
Gotcha, the 4wd one will be able to handle brushless better, like you said. I'm not planning to go crazy fast with it though. So you have the Plasma Edge?

Yeah, the bushings are disappointing, I was hoping that maybe they moved away from the self tapping screws. I could, but that's just more upfront cost, but I know, after I buy a radio/receiver for those Tamiya kits, they'll be at around the same price as the Traxxas RTRs. I have looked at the Voltage, but am still considering.

Thanks! I sighed when I saw the bushings, my 144001 has bearings and it's ~$80-$90! Are the good quality, and do they handle well?

Yes, they are both decent cars. Like TNT said, the 4wd will be the most fun due to it's ability to handle more types of terrain. The only down fall is the parts.

As for the bearing issue. if you did get bearings, your price would be right up there with a higher end kit that comes with bearings and a hole lot more, such as the Kyosho truck I mentioned.

Remember, you still need a radio system, steering servo, battery, and battery charger.

The TT-02 actually has lots of parts available for it. I should know. I have about $500-$600 wrapped up in one.

As far as handling, the DT03 has to be the better choice, because the TT-02 chassis is the biggest POS in my fleet. The steering is so sloppy that the car just goes wherever it wants.

Screenshot_20210707-221711_Video Player.jpg

I ran the tt-02 chassis for years tough 1/10 but A arms snapped..A 13.5 will make that thing mov in and out crude

I have a 13.5 in it. It's definitely fast with the TT-02R high speed set in it. But it just won't drive in a straight line because that stupid front upper arm design. Even with those Yeah Racing upper arms installed, it is still loose.

The only thing I would do different at this point to try to fix it is replace the steering set with an actual Tamiya one, but I'm not spending another dime on it, and Tamiya is super proud of that steering set at like $60 last I looked. It's like $10 worth of parts. But they like to sink it deep when they bend you over.

As mentioned before, Tamiya are starter kits, and, by the time you build them to be durable, you could easily buy a better kit for the same or less. For example, the cheapest Tamiya i have, a TL01 chassis with a Lancia body, by the time i did the bearing upgrade, a better servo and ESC, and painted the body, i was over $400 into it, and i bought that car used for $125. My other TL01, that i bought new, i have close to $600 in. With a kit, it isnt just about building it, especially with Tamiya kits. You have to build it, paint the body, get the electronics, and then, if it needs them, which a lot of Tamiya stuff does, there is the cost of the upgrades. For that kind of money, you would be better off with a kit from TLR, AE, or a bunch of other companies. If you are looking strictly based on the price of the Tamiya cars, and just want something cheap, look into Redcat Racing stuff (avoid the Blackout though, because of the chassis design. Any hard hit suffered by the control arms ends up breaking the chassis.). I know a lot here disagree, but, as long as you arent looking for crazy power, they are fairly durable. I have several Redcat vehicles (they are rebrands of HSP) that i run quite often, and, my oldest, which started out as a Redcat Volcano, using a few inexpensive parts, is now a Redcat/HSP/Exceed RC buggy (its the black and blue buggy in my avatar). I will sometimes buy new HSP/Redcat chassis on eBay, add electronics and a body, and by the time I'm done, I'm just under what a Redcat RTR costs, except, mine is brushless, and the Redcat RTR's at that price are typically brushed. Heres a build i did that started out as a ZD Racing Pirates chassis, but now has a Redcat Lightning chassis: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-budget-bmw-m3-touring-drift-rally-build.130202/#post-1300676 As for the Arrma Granite Voltage, avoid them. They are entirely plastic, including the diff, have an all-in-one ESC receiver, a 5 wire servo, and, after owning two of them, arent worth even the RTR price. A few of my neighbors kids have them, and i gave both of mine to a couple of kids around here for whatever parts they could salvage.

Yes, they are both decent cars. Like TNT said, the 4wd will be the most fun due to it's ability to handle more types of terrain. The only down fall is the parts.

As for the bearing issue. if you did get bearings, your price would be right up there with a higher end kit that comes with bearings and a hole lot more, such as the Kyosho truck I mentioned.

Remember, you still need a radio system, steering servo, battery, and battery charger.
I know, but the 2wd DT03 just looks cooler...I already have my 144001 which is a shaft driven 4wd, so the TT-02 wouldn't be a whole new experience. Plus, the TT-02 would be pretty similar to my 144001, basically just a bigger 1/10 scale version, and it isn't as versatile. I saw on Amain that a bearing kit for one of the Tamiya's was like $15. Or I could be wrong, maybe that was for something else. You mentioned that with bearings it'd cost the same a higher end model, are you talking about higher end RTRs or kits? If I got one of the Tamiya's, I'd probably throw a second DumboRC radio/receiver in it, I have one in my 144001 and they are great. I wouldn't necessarily need a charger, I already have a basic balance charger from SkyRC. I would probably get one Lipo for it, I already have 2 upgrade LiPos for my 144001. Good point though, the DT03 plus all that stuff would be around like $200. At that point, i could just get a Traxxas Bandit or something, I don't know how I feel about Traxxas yet though.

I know, but the 2wd DT03 just looks cooler...I already have my 144001 which is a shaft driven 4wd, so the TT-02 wouldn't be a whole new experience. Plus, the TT-02 would be pretty similar to my 144001, basically just a bigger 1/10 scale version, and it isn't as versatile. I saw on Amain that a bearing kit for one of the Tamiya's was like $15. Or I could be wrong, maybe that was for something else. You mentioned that with bearings it'd cost the same a higher end model, are you talking about higher end RTRs or kits? If I got one of the Tamiya's, I'd probably throw a second DumboRC radio/receiver in it, I have one in my 144001 and they are great. I wouldn't necessarily need a charger, I already have a basic balance charger from SkyRC. I would probably get one Lipo for it, I already have 2 upgrade LiPos for my 144001. Good point though, the DT03 plus all that stuff would be around like $200. At that point, i could just get a Traxxas Bandit or something, I don't know how I feel about Traxxas yet though.
Traxxas makes decent stuff. My only complaint with them back in the day was they were all RTR. I personally prefer kits because I have more fun building them than I do running them. But you do see a lot of people complaining about the electronics. Probably moreso in their cheaper kits.

A 2wd is pretty fun. You can get a lot more squirly with it. Because the yare lighter and have less rotating mass, they can go faster. In most cases, you can get more ground clearance out of them. The best part is, you put truck rims and tires on it. Just make sure you drop a couple teeth on the pinion gear.

It isnt just the bearings on the DT-03 that should be upgraded. To make it a decent vehicle, these are the basic upgrades just to make it handle better, as well as more reliable. Anti-roll bars front and rear (it is very squirrelly without them, and has a lot of body roll), better shocks, CVD axles (can't get lost while driving, unless they break, can handle a bit more power than dogbones), a full turnbuckle set (to help fine tune and adjust the steering and stability), and aluminum servo mount, so the servo flexes less, and that is just the bare minimum needed upgrades. The TT-02 needs even more, and the steering is usually still crappy even with upgrades.

The TT-02 actually has lots of parts available for it. I should know. I have about $500-$600 wrapped up in one.

As far as handling, the DT03 has to be the better choice, because the TT-02 chassis is the biggest POS in my fleet. The steering is so sloppy that the car just goes wherever it wants.

View attachment 135842
Yeah, RC can add up real quick! I have a little more than $200 in my 144001 already, and I'm still gonna get a brushless ESC and motor, wider, better tires, and a few metal parts! Your TT-02 looks pretty different from the stock TT-02, yours appears to be built as an on-road car, as opposed to an off-road buggy. How much slop does the steering have? The 144001 has soe slop too (gotta shim that sometime), but it's not really noticeable when driving.

Yeah, RC can add up real quick! I have a little more than $200 in my 144001 already, and I'm still gonna get a brushless ESC and motor, wider, better tires, and a few metal parts! Your TT-02 looks pretty different from the stock TT-02, yours appears to be built as an on-road car, as opposed to an off-road buggy. How much slop does the steering have? The 144001 has soe slop too (gotta shim that sometime), but it's not really noticeable when driving.
The TT-02 chassis can be built lots of different ways. Ours is the GT4 Mustang version.

Here's a vid

Most of the slop is at the kingpin. Even after putting the Yeah Racing arms on, it still flops around.

Not a Tamiya fan, although I may buy one of the Frog reporoduction kits since I had one as a kid in the early-mid 80s. That probably wont see much run time though. That will just be a shelf queen to remind me of when the world was new and I was young :)

Not a Tamiya fan, although I may buy one of the Frog reporoduction kits since I had one as a kid in the early-mid 80s. That probably wont see much run time though. That will just be a shelf queen to remind me of when the world was new and I was young :)
I want a Hornet, Frog, and Grasshopper sitting on a shelf.

Traxxas makes decent stuff. My only complaint with them back in the day was they were all RTR. I personally prefer kits because I have more fun building them than I do running them. But you do see a lot of people complaining about the electronics. Probably moreso in their cheaper kits.
Yeah, but it's the lawyer stuff (you know, Traxxas suing small companies out of house and home) that worries me. I don't really want to be paying lawyers to do more of that stuff. Now, I know, maybe they have changed (I don't know if they have), and I'm aware that this is a very touchy subject in the community, I don't want to start a whole debate here with all of you!

Anyway, I prefer RTRs, just because it's all ready to rip out of the box! I'm not a fan of how they use a special connector so that it forces you to buy their batteries and chargers, or change the connector and void the warranty. Luckily, there are adapter plugs!
It isnt just the bearings on the DT-03 that should be upgraded. To make it a decent vehicle, these are the basic upgrades just to make it handle better, as well as more reliable. Anti-roll bars front and rear (it is very squirrelly without them, and has a lot of body roll), better shocks, CVD axles (can't get lost while driving, unless they break, can handle a bit more power than dogbones), a full turnbuckle set (to help fine tune and adjust the steering and stability), and aluminum servo mount, so the servo flexes less, and that is just the bare minimum needed upgrades. The TT-02 needs even more, and the steering is usually still crappy even with upgrades.
Good point, I didn't check for that stuff. My 144001 has CVDs stock in the front (I'm going to get CVDs for the rear when the rear dog bones wear out). Speaking of adjustable tie-rods/turnbuckles, you guessed it, my 144001 has those too! I've tuned the toe and camber for all 4 wheels a long time ago, the car drives and handles a lot better after adjusting them! I've also adjusted all my steering tie-rods, so that's pretty good right now.

I've mostly lost interest in these Tamiya kits, it'd cost well over $200 to get them running and driving decently (with upgrades). I'm instead going to convert my 144001 to brushless, get better, upgrade wheels, and a couple of other little goodies as well. I'm probably going to do a "build thread" on the brushless conversion. Thanks for the advice Biggman!
The TT-02 chassis can be built lots of different ways. Ours is the GT4 Mustang version.

Here's a vid

Most of the slop is at the kingpin. Even after putting the Yeah Racing arms on, it still flops around.
Oh, cool! the 144001/12401_ is a very versititle platform as well. I have no idea what a king pin is, so I had to look it up! Turns out it's the pin that the steering knuckle rotates around. Could you add some little metal flanged collar pieces or shims to fix it?

I've mostly lost interest in these Tamiya kits, it'd cost well over $200 to get them running and driving decently (with upgrades). I'm instead going to convert my 144001 to brushless, get better, upgrade wheels, and a couple of other little goodies as well. I'm probably going to do a "build thread" on the brushless conversion. Thanks for the info though!

Edit: Wait, did you film the video just for that reply?

Last edited:
Back