are Rcs really worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrlracer

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
They cost the earth and something ALWAYS goes wrong with them.. are they really worth the hassles???

If you consider them "hassles" then you do not enjoy them as much as you think you do, then the answer in your case would be no, they are not worth it.

everytime i buy an rc i get hassles ... just asked for my money back from the 2 i just bought that have issues and the guys wife ripped a new hole in my ear :/

even the brushless rc i got from a member here few years ago I've never been able to charge and never played on it..just sitting there collecting dust.

everytime i buy an rc i get hassles ... just asked for my money back from the 2 i just bought that have issues and the guys wife ripped a new hole in my ear :/

even the brushless rc i got from a member here few years ago I've never been able to charge and never played on it..just sitting there collecting dust.

You're doing something wrong. Rc's will break, you have to enjoy fixing them and tinkering with them as much as you do running them. I myself got out of gas because of the hastle with the nitro engines. Of course I had cheaper engines like the trx .15 pro, I had nothing but issues out of every one of these I ever owned. Only other nitro's I owned was a airboat with a os.40 and it ran good. Rarely did I have issues with it, Had a couple k&b 3.5 outboards I had nothing but trouble out of the lower units on. I got out of rc for many years then decided to buy a buggy from the hobby shop and a cheap carpet car for my father. I ran the carpet car for a while and had fun with it, "electric" picked up another rc car and ran it for a while "tamiya ford lightning" had no issues with it but got bored with it. Once I was introduced to my first brushless setup, I got back in the game and have been toying with them every since. I have a newer model e-maxx with a castle creations mamba monster running on 2 3 cell lipo's I think the only think I have broke in it was the driveshaft once. I also have another newer model e-maxx running a nue 1900kv castle motor and mamba max esc on 2 3 cell lipo's. I don't think i've had many issues out of it either. I will be the first to tell you that you can run 6s on a castle mamba max rated for 3s. I'm running a low kv motor though and I think this is why its lasted so long. If I gear it too high it will overheat the esc and put it in thermal shutdown. but geared a little lower it gets warm, i've since added a cooling fan. It runs pretty good.

Is it worth it, is a relative term.... like has been stated already, if you really have to ask yourself that question then your probably right, it is not worth it. If you are not getting enjoyment out of it, it doesn't make it you a bad person, RC just isn't for you. There are costs associated with all hobbies, and if you truly enjoy it then it is money well spent. RC's can be frustrating.... and expensive, but part of what makes this such a great hobbie for me is wrenching. It is very relaxing to sit down in the basement and just wrench on my RC's. Like I said though... that can seem very frustrating for some and that is ok. My wife doesn't understand that, she thinks for as much money I spend they should be more robust.... but if your not breaking something, your not driving hard enough! right?

Tom

They cost the earth and something ALWAYS goes wrong with them.. are they really worth the hassles???

Its no wonder why you were gone from RCNT for so long, its obvious you do not truely enjoy the hobby on racing/bashing/breaking/fixing/modding/repeat.

Betcha you will disapear from the site within a month.

Nothing to sound rude or meant offensive just what I think is the problem.

I look at it this way whats a playstation 3 or xbox 360 cost around $300.00,
games $50.00 so there's $350.00 right off the top and your sitting your a$$ on the couch. sure rc's are expensive but at least you are getting out of the house enjoying the outdoors and learning a little about the mechanic's of the car the knowledge you pickup from thes little toys will take you alot farther in life than how to beat bowser in the 8th level of super mario brothers any day.

No RC's are not worth it if you don't enjoy them. If you don't enjoy racing or bashing, fixing or upgrading them, then you're probably best finding a new hobby. RCs are a great hobby, but obviously not for everyone.

I think to ask the question is to answer it. When I bought my first r/c a used stampede I didn't know anything about the hobby and I thought I was getting a cheap $100 stampede. Well it turns out the engine was probably almost gone, it was missing a body, parts and various screws were missing off the car, the transmitter didn't work and both the servos were bad, it was missing the muffler and that is not including how many times I wrecked it breaking stuff because I wasn't used to controlling a car via a remote and even with the .15 the truck was fast to me and I ran it all out a lot of the times. Sometimes all out into a fence post or my house.

I spent 5 minutes driving the pede and a week fixing everything. That was frustrating to me and I ended up spending 100's getting her all fixed up and getting a body. I could have went out and bought a new pede for the money I spent fixing up my old one. But I didn't because working on them is half of the fun and I wanted to customize it and make it mine. Now I have the stampede completely fixed up to my liking and I bash her hard and barely ever break anything. Normally it is just the drive shafts or body mounts that break now and I will upgrade them soon.

My point is everyone goes through troubles with their r/c's. When I was fixing the stampede I almost just quite a couple of times because I was frustrated because it was 5 minutes of running and a week of repairing but my dedication and time payed off. Now I can run the pede with barely any problems. My jato is the only r/c I ever bought brand new and I was able to run about 3 gallons through it of hard bashing before anything ever broke on it or needed replaced.

It sounds like maybe you should either stop buying used r/cs and buy a new one. That way you know exactly what you are getting and it should hold up pretty well for you before anything breaks. When you are breaking stuff every day it can be overwhelming but if it is just a little thing here and there you can really start to enjoy the hobby and maybe even enjoy fixing them up.

Don't let old used rigs that need a lot more work than the seller tells you keep you from enjoying what you like. If you do buy used, try to stick with buying off this forum and researching what you are buying before you get it. I have bought two cars so far off this forum and have been happy with what I got. They told me what was wrong and what was needed if anything before I bought it and there was no suprise, this car is missing an engine.

Last edited:
As already mentioned, it may just not be the right hobby for you. RC's are the one thing that taught me patience as a kid, when nothing and no one else could. For that reason alone, I'll always own and tinker with some type of RC for as long as I'm able. I've also met some really good people due to the hobby, and made some great friends too.

Its no wonder why you were gone from RCNT for so long, its obvious you do not truely enjoy the hobby on racing/bashing/breaking/fixing/modding/repeat.

Betcha you will disapear from the site within a month.

Nothing to sound rude or meant offensive just what I think is the problem.

No i was gone because of family health issues which in my opinion is more important then spending time in forums and racings rcs. thank you.

---------- Post added at 3:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:24 PM ----------

truggy83 This is great advice and you got the point of why i'm frustated-
''Don't let old used rigs that need a lot more work than the seller tells you keep you from enjoying what you like. If you do buy used, try to stick with buying off this forum and researching what you are buying before you get it. I have bought two cars so far off this forum and have been happy with what I got. They told me what was wrong and what was needed if anything before I bought it and there was no suprise .''
Thank you.

Keep your eye on our for sale forum. Every now and then a deal comes along from a long term very trusted member. Those are what you want, rather than one from Ebay.

A lot of us like the wrenching and upgrading as much as the running. Some of us, even more. :)

Buying used as you have found out can be very frustrating, especially when all you wanna do is get out and bash it.

For me, the key is to know when to walk away. When my savage had me pissed and cussing I had to just up and leave it alone for a few hours or days. It happens. Same applies for anything really. My wife will irritate the piss out of me sometimes so I just have to walk away and find something to take my mind off things. That's usually cleaning guns, playing some gears of war, or drinking a few beers and fiddling with my RCs. I find myself pissed at nitro more then I should. So I sold off most of my nitro cars and got a new electric. I was tempted to buy a used one, but kept reminding myself why I was doing this. I stuck to my guns, saved some cash and bought a new Losi xxx-scb. I still have the old savage and it runs beautifully, but I'm sticking with electric for now as a way of keeping myself in the hobby. Now I'm buying lipos and scouting for a new brushless motor. Before giving up all together, try selling off some of your pains and pick up a shiney new in box electric car. Learn to love the hobby again. I'm learning all sorts of new stuff about electric and about how no matter how good you think you are at driving your RC, you wont realize how bad you suck till you put it on a track and really learn how to drive it. The hobby isn't for everyone, sometimes you do have to walk away for good. But sometimes you just get frustrated and have to remind yourself why you love it.

well said chiefGeek thank you

even if i spend 2 hours fixing/modding and only get 5 mins of runtime , i still love it ,

yeh true..i fixed 2 cars today.. i was frustrated cuz i bought them and was promised they were working but was lied to yet again..

Lesson learnt-either buy new,from friends or from a good forum. :)

RC is a money pit no matter how you look at it. Some people are willing to scam others to attempt to recoup their losses. I often. Ask to see a video of something before purchasing it over the internet. Nearly every phone take video nowadays.

the best way to not think of it as a chore is sit down through on some music and relax while you work on them and it helps keap your stress level down!!! I have one of the shortest fuses when it comes to my temper and it seems to mellow me out enough to enjoy it!!!! and in my opinion they are worth everypenny!!! I have a few I have boughten used that are just sitting there at the moment looking cool.. until I get the money to upgrade motor systems.. normally I will only by used if I want a project... or if it is from my lhs because they wont let me buy anything that isnt worth it... gotta love the hobby or you will hate it!!!

Here are the 2 rc's i fixed today..all working perfectly now :D

Attachments

• wild.w2.jpg
    wild.w2.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 72
  • wild willys 2.1.jpg
    wild willys 2.1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 76