Anyone running nitrous?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elwood34

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just wondering if anyone on here is running nitrous on their Revo? My dad has a 2.5R Revo that has the 3.3 engine, he was looking for more power out of his set up so he bought a nitrous kit and a S3 reed valve from RBInovatoins. We havnt spent a lot of time running it yet because of the weather but what we have run, it is very impressive. I can't wait to line it up against my Savage with the Losi 454 and drag race them.

Would you mind telling me alittle more about the setup all the kits I've seen use a co2 cartrig and I'm pretty sure co2 isn't flammable

If you want more speed, get a better engine. Nitrous in RC cars/trucks is a joke.

Obviously you have never personally seen one run. Nitrous is the cheapest fastest way to more power with ANY engine.

They do not use a CO2 cartridge, what you see is a NO2 cartridge, ever heard of a whip cream charger? That isd what they use, it looks like a CO2 cartridge but it is pure nitrous oxide. Go to ebay or google whip cream chargers you will see. And by the way nitrous isn't flammable either, it is a excellerant. Pure nitrous doesn't burn, just like oxygen, it feeds the fire.

---------- Post added at 3:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:07 PM ----------

Here is what they use, it isn't a co2 cartridge, looks the same but is not the same.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-Whipped-...730?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2569b84442

Nothing more than a novelty item in an rc, like a stupidcharger, I agree with cornholio

Believe what you want but I have actually seen it run and when you run without it then turn on the micro switch to activate the solenoid and run it on the nitrous, the difference is night and day.

Here is a system offered by Nitrous Express and a video showing a Savage with nitrous and a Savage without nitrous drag racing.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/speed2002-adjustable-lightweight-rc-nitrous-system.html

My dads Revo is definitely a lot faster with the nitrous. I spanked his Revo with my Savage, that made him get the nitrous set up, we havnt raced since he got it but the difference in the truck is night and day.

Elwood, the answer is no.no.no. Its just another cheesy RBInnovations gimmick. Don't believe the hype. But if you must insist, try it on a cheap engine you don't mind sacrificing.
And if you could post some post mortem pics of your engine afterwards, that would be cool. :thumbup:

Nitrous isn't hard on your motor like everyone believes. I have run nitrous on a 1982 FXWG shovelhead Harley that is stroked to 93 cubic inches for years, without problems. You have to increase fuel intake when running nitrous, this is where a lot of people mess up and blow motors. Nitrous leans out the motor, you have to increase fuel. In a car, truck or bike that means higher fuel pressure and bigger jets. Same goes for a nitro RC motor, you have to run richer or you will damage the motor.

Last edited:
Nitrous will lean out the motor causing it to starve for fuel and run hot. Most people that are running nitros are running them at a safe temp for longevity but at a temp that can be boarderline on the high side. The NX will run it lean and run it hot pushing it over the safe limit thus shortening the engine life considerably IMO. Running NX on your Harley is a completely different animal than running it on a 2 stroke.

Last edited:
Like I said "on an rc" it doesn't do any good, were not talking about four stroke valved engines here we are talking about a tiny aluminum and brass 2 sroke model engine, big difference,....the little glowplug is already burning nitromethane and alcohol, plus some oil,now you would be adding more ingrediant to an already perfecrly blended super fuel?

Last edited:
Like I said "on an rc" it doesn't do any good, were not talking about four stroke valved engines here we are talking about a tiny aluminum and brass 2 sroke model engine, big difference,

Nitrous works on ANY motor, 2 stroke, 4 stroke or diesel if set up right.

Believe what you want but I have actually seen it run and when you run without it then turn on the micro switch to activate the solenoid and run it on the nitrous, the difference is night and day.

Here is a system offered by Nitrous Express and a video showing a Savage with nitrous and a Savage without nitrous drag racing.

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/speed2002-adjustable-lightweight-rc-nitrous-system.html

Sure, whatever you say. Good thing I'm wearing my boots.

Sure, whatever you say. Good thing I'm wearing my boots.

Well I am going to southern Idaho to the desert next week on vacation, I will gladly video the Revo running with and without nitrous and even show you the radar readings. You can believe what you want but if you havnt tried it or been around one with it, your argument is invalid.

I'm just curious as to how long the motor will last running it.

Well the argument of 4 stroke engine with valves isn't any good cuz a lot of 2 stroke sleds run nos but the size of the engine may make a deference it would be cool to see one with telemetry setup on it so we could see rpm and such

Just using it as an example since that was what was mentioned,..on another note,2 sroker sleds, bikes ect use a glorified ignition system, model engines are extremely simple and are designed to be used in conjunction with specially blended fuel

Your right I forgot to add that they have a timed ignition like a 4stroke but it seems to me that the concept of adding a purer encellerent to the mix that it would make more power but where it's a compression engine that's already burning the mix so well I'm not sure

cmon I need a laugh atm , lets see a vid of this revo.....

I'll stick to nitro methane.

Like I said before, those that are critisizing it have NEVER tried it. RC Driver did tests on the nitrous express system in issue 22 of Oct 2005, they gave great reviews on it, said it increased top speed, acceleration and also ran cooler. Nitrous is a super cooled gas that does make your engine run cooler (believe it or not). Actually RC driver is not the only mag that has done tests and reviews on the system, all have had positive results. Yes a bigger motor is more efficient with it but it works on ALL motors. You guys do know when people first started using it on cars their was critics like on here that said iot didn't work as well.

I am not trying to convince anyone on here, but I have personal experience with it unlike the critics here and I will be more than happy to post videos, just like I said I would. I guess the video that Nitrous Express has isn't convincing enough.

Back