Anyone race 1:1 cars? Drag, Autox, Track

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VB - Thanks!

Rex - 101MPH should be a 13 second run, that's not too bad. He should have fun with the Malibu, they are great cars, I've had mine over 10 years! I do regret all the chassis work though, it's not much fun on the street as it used to be. I've seen these cars with modified stock suspension run well into the 9's.

Plaidfish said:
I want one of those old mini coopers w/ the swift gt 1.8t engine in it....super sleeper streetcar.....FWD and it hooks up like the ugly chicks after happy hour
My Brother got his dream car this summer, its an '04 Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper Works package, something like 207 HP I think with a 6-Speed. He loves it, Mini's aren't my fav. I like my 3000GT, but his mini is just as fast and probably handles better. To me the look of the 3000GT is unbeatable in a 17 year olds price range.

Not too shabby Kwong...haha that thing is insane.

I'm not into any drag or autox although I'd like to see what my car can do when I don't have to worry about cops :)

AC he got the supercharger???? if so they pull like 280 from the lot...I tested one last year and sorry I ever did whenever I go thinking of selling my truck and getting a new one I can't help but think about getting a new mini...just the standard S though...the works package is like another 6k

Street legal drags are tonight. It is just head to head racing but it is fun and legal so what the hell. I will take some pics hopefully tonight of some of the local cars.

AC48 said:
My Brother got his dream car this summer, its an '04 Mini Cooper S with the John Cooper Works package, something like 207 HP I think with a 6-Speed. He loves it, Mini's aren't my fav. I like my 3000GT, but his mini is just as fast and probably handles better.
Not to bust your balls, but that copper would walk on your 3000gt. 3000gt's are cool cars but are VERY VERY heavy. Thats why you dont see alot of people modding them. And when they do, there usually gutted out. Also The Mini coopers are suppose to be one of the tighest turning vehicles with some of the best handling gave to a car within the last 15 years. Dont get me wrong, i like the 3000Gt's and would like to have a Vr4 with the twin turbo in it...mmmmmm...

Plaid - Regular is 140ish I think, S model is like 175ish and the Works Package is like 207. No mini has 280 HP without mods. Also you can't get the Works package without the Supercharger I don't think, so hes got a supercharger. I've drivin my car and his and in a straight line the Cooper isn't too much faster, but I think it would win due to the 3000GTs weight. To me, the looks of the 3000GT compared to the Mini far outweighs any performance advantages. Mini's just aren't my type of car I guess. But I don't hate them, just don't love em'.

4u2nv - You are completely right, I just choose "probably" instead of walk on :D I think that little bugger could out handle some very expensive cars. BUT, the Mini was $26K slightly used, mine, $5,700 so I'm not too worried. My bro also put on some 18'' chrome wheels and some of the lowest profile tires I've seen, VERY bumpy ride, but insane handling.

Last edited:
AC48 said:
4u2nv - You are completely right, I just choose "probably" instead of walk on :D I think that little bugger could out handle some very expensive cars. BUT, the Mini was $26K slightly used, mine, $5,700 so I'm not too worried. My bro also put on some 18'' chrome wheels and some of the lowest profile tires I've seen, VERY bumpy ride, but insane handling.

I still like the looks of the 3000gt's better. The Mini coopers are to boxy and to small for me.. (Dont tell your bro..lol)

he needs to loose the 18" rims...that's too much surface area to break loose on.....16" on that car and he'd handle alot better......yeah the works package IS the supercharger on that lil steroid filled go-cart.....the regular S gets like 190 HP and I thought the Works package bumped it up like 50 to 60 HP.....I KNOW the one they tested for one of the tuner mags my buddy reads was from the factory w/ 260......don't know if it was a special package or not (probably, since it went to a magazine for road testing) but it had some unreal specs for such a little car....and as far as the handling goes, I recommend everyone that hasn't tested one yet, DO IT.......I wasn't at all impressed w/ how it looks but after drining it....I WANT IWANT I WANT......

dragrace1.jpg

dragrace2.jpg

dragrace3.jpg

dragrace4.jpg

dragrace5.jpg

Cool stuff. That White '05 STi just got finished and he is still getting used to it. It needs a race map as it just has one for Cali Piss right now. He broke GRuppe-S's record on 91 @353whp on a mustang, the most unforgiving one in the country. Low boost, all forged internals. Capable with that turbo about 500whp.

Evo is 2003 and running 360whp on that same unforgiving mustang @ gruppe-s. His race map puts him well in the mid 400whp when running c16.

Then there is me, I got a red jdm hazard button and a silcence delete elbow for the intake. :)

Blue Sti is 2004. All Spec C suspension and lip. That thing can handle let me tell you. It has an turbback and an accessport. He just got a Apexi Digital AVC-R Boost Controller. The Evo and the White Sti shoot flames. I love it :D.

Continued

dragrace6.jpg

dragrace7.jpg

dragrace8.jpg

dragrace9.jpg

dragrace10.jpg

dragrace11.jpg

/end bragging. :D

SmileyRacing said:
VB - Thanks!

Rex - 101MPH should be a 13 second run, that's not too bad. He should have fun with the Malibu, they are great cars, I've had mine over 10 years! I do regret all the chassis work though, it's not much fun on the street as it used to be. I've seen these cars with modified stock suspension run well into the 9's.

Traps speeds do not make a difference in times. He could very well be running 101mph trap but got a 2.7 60 footer.

Like i'll really know, but what turbo is the white 05 sti have?

kwong2001 said:
Like i'll really know, but what turbo is the white 05 sti have?

FP Red.

Traps speeds do not make a difference in times. He could very well be running 101mph trap but got a 2.7 60 footer.

I completely agree, I was referring to the fact that the car has 13 second potential (with some sticky tires and such). If it seemed otherwise I apologize..

Plaidfish said:
he needs to loose the 18" rims...that's too much surface area to break loose on.....16" on that car and he'd handle alot better......yeah the works package IS the supercharger on that lil steroid filled go-cart.....the regular S gets like 190 HP and I thought the Works package bumped it up like 50 to 60 HP.....I KNOW the one they tested for one of the tuner mags my buddy reads was from the factory w/ 260......don't know if it was a special package or not (probably, since it went to a magazine for road testing) but it had some unreal specs for such a little car....and as far as the handling goes, I recommend everyone that hasn't tested one yet, DO IT.......I wasn't at all impressed w/ how it looks but after drining it....I WANT IWANT I WANT......
The 18''s improved handling over the stock 17'' wheels. It is damn hard to get those tires to loose it. I have not been able to (on public roads). I'm sure if at a track you can. A Deer jumped out at us and he threw the wheel left hard, we got thrown across the car haha but no tire squeal and almost zero body roll, dodged the deer :)

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0404_first_mini/

This one says it has 200 HP but I believe its a tad more. That is also for the '03s but the newer ones have not been changed much if at all, my bro's is an '04.

4u - 3000GTs look MUCH better I think. When people see it looks much faster and sportier than the Mini, which is what I like :) More people think fast when the see a 3000GT.

They need an awd turbo mini, I actually heard a rumor but have nothing to substanciate it with.

AC48, find out what size tires he's using and the name and brand of tire. If they're as low profile as you say they are, then I couldn't imagine him not rolling the side walls.

I personally wouldn't put 18's on a mini, but that's just me. Too much rotating mass, would be much better of with 16's and some killer performance tires.

Hell, when i had my 17" 5zigen's and 215/45/17 s-03's, that was A LOT of rotating mass for my car. And my car can comfortably fit some 215/45/18 tires, doubt the mini can do that.

Id keep the 18's. My truck handles ALOT better with the 22's than it did with the stock 15's. Its a differance of night and day. Plus the bigger the rim the cooler they look in my book. Wheels make the looks of the vehicle I think.

Also I dont think the diamater makes that much differance in the rotating mass. When I 1st got my truck and my rims, it had the 15's on it and a 4.3L V.6 and I could light the tires up easy. And when I put the 22's on, I could still light them up just as easy (But shed some tears cuz the tires were like $360 a piece). If the bigger rims make that much more stress on the engine, I think the person needs some more mods anyway.

The size makes a difference, I went from stock 15" wheels with 195/65/15 tires to 17" wheels 215/45/17 tires, both weighing about the same at a total of 45 pounds. To keep it simple, I gained a bunch of low end torque in first gear, but anywhere past about 5000rpm in first and on, the top end sucked.

One thing to keep in mind, the size of wheels do not make any difference in handling. Like I said, it really comes down to rotating mass which will ultimately effect the power output. The thing that changes the handling is purely the tires. Some really nice grippy tires with a stiff side wall will do wonders for a car. When I had the 17's with s-03's, the handling was crazy compared to stock, I couldn't roll the sidewalls no matter how hard I tried.

Kwong, wheels are 18 x 7 and the tires are Avon Tech M500 size is 215/35WR18. Keep in mind these are in a mini, the wheels look like they are 22''s and the tires look almost non existant haha. He wasn't really going for the edge in performance, his main goal was looks, but I think they perform much better than the 17'' with all seasons.

4u2nv said:
Wheels make the looks of the vehicle I think.

I could not agree more.

O, and on Tirerack, they have a wheel that supposedly fits the Mini which is a 22'', I couldn't believe that but they say it'll fit haha.

Back