Anyone know the stock settings of an SH .28

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mickstix

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey, I've been trying to get this motor broke in, and now I've got it so out of whack that it wont even start.. And of course I started tuning before noting the stock needle settings, so now I'm lost.. Does anyone happen to know what the stock "turns" are for the needles of an SH .28 (M28-P3) Thanks for any help! :\

Just to follow up, and for future refrence, I actually found a manual for the SH nitro engines online, and it said the hsn stock setting was 3 turns out.. It didnt mention the low speed needle, unfortunately, but after searching some more I found a "SH Engines" Forum, and in there one of the threads mentioned that the OP had put his .28 back to stock by setting the HSN 3 turns out and the LSN 3 turns out.. So, take it for what ya will.. I soooo wish I hadnt got in a hurry, and forgot to take note of the needles before I started tuning on them.. Then I'd know for sure.. But anyway, for anyone who needs the info in the future, as close to stock as I could find was 3 turns out on both the HSN and LSN... The Manual mentioned the idle at being 1mm gap.. That's a fairly basic setting, but in the threads I read where quite a few mentioned their idle gap needed to be more than 1mm for their "SH .28" to idle properly? So, if your having trouble gettin it to idle correctly, once it's tuned, try increasing the gap a little and see if it helps! :)

From the manual (had it downloaded from when I had an SH28 quite a few years ago):
HIGH SPEED NEEDLE VALVE
The high speed needle valve is used to meter the air/fuel mixture at
full throttle. Using a flat blade screwdriver, turn the needle clockwise
to lean the mixture or turn the needle counter-clockwise to richen the mixture. When you start the engine for the very first time, the needle valve should be turned in completely, then backed out 3 full turns. This is the factorybreak-in setting.

LOW SPEED NEEDLE VALVE
The low speed needle valve meters the air/fuel mixture at idle and during transition from idle to full throttle. Turn the low speed needle clockwise to lean the mixture. Turn it counter-clockwise to richen the mixture. The low speed needle valve is preset from the factory, but minor adjustments may need to be made to suit your application: fuel used, glow plug and environment all contribute to the setting.

To reset the low speed needle valve back to the factory setting, follow these simple steps:
l Open the carburetor barrel completely.
l While holding the barrel open with your finger, use a flat blade
screwdriver to turn the low speed needle valve clockwise until it stops.
From this point, turn the low speed needle valve counter-clockwise
3 full turns. This is the factory break-in setting.

I just uploaded the manual to my FTP site so you can download it:
SH 28 Manual

An idle gap of greater than 1mm is a false tune. Lean the LSN more, reduce the idle gap, richen the HSN.

Awesome! Thanks for that info guys!! I know when you two post it's not just BS, but solid info!! :)