Anyone ever sanded a plastic body to get the scratches out?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken_civic

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just curious if anyones ever sanded the scratches out of these thin plastic bodies back to a nice finish. If so, what method did you use? Wet sanding? Grit? Etc... Thanks.

Are you talking about a painted one? No,I haven't. I just run it until it's trashed.

If you're talking about a clear unpainted one,it is theoretically possible but will require a huge amount of elbow grease and some super fine polishing agent. I have done windshields on plastic model cars with toothpaste.

Last edited:
Are you talking about a painted one? No,I haven't. I just run it until it's trashed.

If you're talking about a clear unpainted one,it is theoretically possible but will require a huge amount of elbow grease and some super fine polishing agent. I have done windshields on plastic model cars with toothpaste.

1966 Is right you'll be there for hours otherwise one of those kits for clearing up plastic headlight lenses but it probaly would be cheaper to buy a new body.:p:

The body is painted from the inside, scratches are on the outside. It was a brand new body before I ran the truck once and it flipped. Slid down the street on the roof and scratched it all up.

Chances are good that you won't effectively get them out. Especially if you rolled it on asphalt. These bodies are incredibly thin. Any reasonable scratch will have compromised a fair depth of the plastic. To sand it out would most likely create a very thin spot and it's even more likely that you'd sand right through the body trying to fix it. Just accept the scratches as battle scars and think about buying a new body sometime.

Keep that body that is scratched for running it. Get a new body that you can beautify and only put that on when the car is sitting on the shelf. Heck you can even wax it too, but I can't think of anyone around here that does that :)

Keep that body that is scratched for running it. Get a new body that you can beautify and only put that on when the car is sitting on the shelf. Heck you can even wax it too, but I can't think of anyone around here that does that :)

Good chance ROLEX!!!!!! :p: