Anybody own a BB Storm?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

Anybody using a Blackberry Storm? I am looking at picking one up and since Verizon doesn't have the iPhone, my choices are limited. I am looking at getting some feedback on wether or not to take the plunge. Thanks!

Tom

Is that the new touchscreen BB? Looks nice. When my contract is up with Sprint I'm going back to Verizon. One more year.

I just switched to Verizon. Looked at the Storm for a while. Unfortunately I haven't heard great things about it. But it's a slick phone. They are working hard on updates and I think they've issued like 3 firmware updates already. So I suppose it's getting better. Honestly, if I were willing to pay the extra $30 per line per month I would have probably picked one up. But since I had to keep my phone budget down, I went with the LG Dare which I am totally loving.

Thanks guys. I was hoping to get some feedback. It is nice to have some real feedback from actual users of the a particular device. I have read mixed reviews on it myself, and from what I read, the firmware updates are helping. I am seriously leaning towards this phone.... I would like to combine the phone and PDA as to only carry one device. Although the extra $30 bucks does put a hurting on the budget. The wife however has approved the monitary increase however. I think she wants one too! LOL

Hey Candyman.... is the Dare a full HTML supported phone?

Tom

I have no idea how to tell if it's full HTML supported. I do know I was surfing this site on it last night. I admit, though, I find surfing the net on a cell phone to be one of the least enjoyable things I could imagine. I know that the trend right now is to try to create great all-in-one devices. But there are just some things that don't adapt well to the phone. Internet surfing is one of them. So I'm going to ditch my internet after the free trial runs out. I just wanted a good phone with unlimited messaging and I love the Dare for that.

I have no idea how to tell if it's full HTML supported. I do know I was surfing this site on it last night. I admit, though, I find surfing the net on a cell phone to be one of the least enjoyable things I could imagine. I know that the trend right now is to try to create great all-in-one devices. But there are just some things that don't adapt well to the phone. Internet surfing is one of them. So I'm going to ditch my internet after the free trial runs out. I just wanted a good phone with unlimited messaging and I love the Dare for that.

Thanks for the info my friend!

I just picked up my Blackberry Storm about a week ago now, over all I am really liking it. Before I purchased it I looked at a number of phones such as the LG Dare, the HTC Touch Pro, other Blackberry models, etc.

The HTC Touch pro while a much more expensive phone looked pretty damn sweet, my biggest complaint was it's Windows powered. I've never been a fan of any windows powered pda, phone so that was out.

I have a blackberry curve for work and personally I find the small keyboard hard to type on. I'm not a big fan of how web pages look on it as well.

The LG Dare had just about everything I was looking for. While the web browsing isn't the best, it's ok. However what I was really looking for is a phone that had detailed contact information - more then name, phone, email notes. I think the LG Dare has a few more fields, but nothing even close to comparing to the amount of contact info you can have in a blackberry.

I ended with the Blackberry Storm. I like the large screen, websites look great on it, and zooming in and out is simple. The touch screen is a cool feature and if you're used to the iPhone then you are in fact in for a change as you actually click the screen on the Storm, not so on the iPhone. I actually like the clicking better then the iPhone myself.

I have noticed however on mine the screen seems to stay depressed as if it's stuck, if the phone has been in my pocket. Though it could be the sleeve holding it down, just have to move the screen back and forth and it pops back up. That's really my main complaint about the phone.

Battery life seems to be about the same as any typical blackberry - bout a day and a half (much better then my iphone counterparts). Verizon claims 15 day standby time battery life... I'd really like to have whatever the hell they were smoking at the time of typing that. Most forums I've read says to condition the battery and that's what I've been doing now and it seems to be getting better. They also sell extended life batteries as well for it I might get.

As for the OS on the blackberry - you can tell it's greatly behind the technology of the phone, the good news is RIM is working had on getting new upgrades out ASAP. The phone is far from perfect and you'll have to remember it's only been out a month or two - if you can't put up with a few issues of brand new items then a Blackberry curve or bold might be better for you. If you don't mind putting up with a few things then I'd say go for it. I haven't had mine for to terribly long but love it already and can see why they carry a nick name of "crackberry".

I just picked up my Blackberry Storm about a week ago now, over all I am really liking it. Before I purchased it I looked at a number of phones such as the LG Dare, the HTC Touch Pro, other Blackberry models, etc.

The HTC Touch pro while a much more expensive phone looked pretty damn sweet, my biggest complaint was it's Windows powered. I've never been a fan of any windows powered pda, phone so that was out.

I have a blackberry curve for work and personally I find the small keyboard hard to type on. I'm not a big fan of how web pages look on it as well.

The LG Dare had just about everything I was looking for. While the web browsing isn't the best, it's ok. However what I was really looking for is a phone that had detailed contact information - more then name, phone, email notes. I think the LG Dare has a few more fields, but nothing even close to comparing to the amount of contact info you can have in a blackberry.

I ended with the Blackberry Storm. I like the large screen, websites look great on it, and zooming in and out is simple. The touch screen is a cool feature and if you're used to the iPhone then you are in fact in for a change as you actually click the screen on the Storm, not so on the iPhone. I actually like the clicking better then the iPhone myself.

I have noticed however on mine the screen seems to stay depressed as if it's stuck, if the phone has been in my pocket. Though it could be the sleeve holding it down, just have to move the screen back and forth and it pops back up. That's really my main complaint about the phone.

Battery life seems to be about the same as any typical blackberry - bout a day and a half (much better then my iphone counterparts). Verizon claims 15 day standby time battery life... I'd really like to have whatever the hell they were smoking at the time of typing that. Most forums I've read says to condition the battery and that's what I've been doing now and it seems to be getting better. They also sell extended life batteries as well for it I might get.

As for the OS on the blackberry - you can tell it's greatly behind the technology of the phone, the good news is RIM is working had on getting new upgrades out ASAP. The phone is far from perfect and you'll have to remember it's only been out a month or two - if you can't put up with a few issues of brand new items then a Blackberry curve or bold might be better for you. If you don't mind putting up with a few things then I'd say go for it. I haven't had mine for to terribly long but love it already and can see why they carry a nick name of "crackberry".

Being part of an IT department myself, I am used to and real patient with "bugs" that come along with new technology, software and hardware alike. I can handle some growing pains. RIM has released 3 firmware upgrades I do believe have fixed some of the early gripes on the phone. I don't have any expierence with the iPhone, which is still getting better reviews. I think I will go ahead and get it. I have heard enough good about it that it should be worth the plunge.

Thank you for such an in depth personal review of the phone Woodie, I really apreciate it. Afterall... if it is good enough for the Admin of Admin's, it is good enough for me!

Besides.. If I hate it... I will just blame it on FastEddy! :D

Thanks again.

Tom

Tom don't forget - Verizon also offers a 30 day "trial" so if you don't like the phone you can always take it back and get another.

Hey Woodie... thanks for that info. I actually did not know that. Good info to know. I would have returned a couple of phones in my past had I known that. Thanks again.

Tom

Back