Any Jeep owners on the forum????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30%NitroBoy

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Whaddup guys,

I've never been a fan of Jeeps but I can understand the appeal and especially amongst younger guys. I'm curious if we have any Jeep owners (specifically wrangler) on the forum and if so what you have on your truck?

My friend owned a Jeep a few years ago. It was completely stock. He took me offroading one time...he managed to high center it, and it took like 6 hours until we got out. We eventually had to call a tow truck

That day sucked.

Originally posted by kwong2001
My friend owned a Jeep a few years ago. It was completely stock. He took me offroading one time...he managed to high center it, and it took like 6 hours until we got out. We eventually had to call a tow truck

That day sucked.

LOL bro....Was it a 4cyl or the 4.0 "Sport" straight six? That's funny as I'd be rich if I had a dollar for everytime a Jeep guy told me how "Jeeps" can go places other trucks can't because of their short wheelbase". Apparently the shortwheel base wasn't enough to keep you guys from getting high centered.

It's not the wheelbase that killed him. It was the lack of ride height...oh yeah, it was a 4 banger.

EEEEEEhhh Yeah, 4cyl jeeps are a little underpowered to say the least. Don't get me wrong, they'll romp some but a Stock 4cyl Toyota (AKA YOTA amongst my wheeling buddies) will destroy a stock 4cyl Jeep. I bet you guys had fun though. I've only highcentered my Pathfinder once (before 33's and a lift and now I'm back to stock) but we had to walk for two hours as my cell phone was dead and we where in the middle of nowhere.

Peace

I have one Its a 90 Wrangler, 67,000 original miles, 3" lift, BF Goodrich 33x12.5x15 mud terraines, 3" tube front and rear bumpers, and nerf bars, stainless dash overlay, Carr roto-bar light kit with 5 100 watt KC quartz 6x9 hallogen lights, Carr aluminum entry guards, and nerf steps, chrome grille, factory ac, 4.2 6 cyl, 5 speed, tilt wheel, grant gt steering wheel, plus a lot of other accessories. I have had it since 1992, I love it!

381163Jeep480.jpg

Last edited:
I drive a 92' Jeep Cherokee - everything is pretty well stock other then slightly larger tires, bored out engine, and a sound system.

-Michael

Originally posted by 30%NitroBoy
EEEEEEhhh Yeah, 4cyl jeeps are a little underpowered to say the least. Don't get me wrong, they'll romp some but a Stock 4cyl Toyota (AKA YOTA amongst my wheeling buddies) will destroy a stock 4cyl Jeep. I bet you guys had fun though. I've only highcentered my Pathfinder once (before 33's and a lift and now I'm back to stock) but we had to walk for two hours as my cell phone was dead and we where in the middle of nowhere.

Peace

It was fun for about 20 minutes before we got stuck...then we had like 4 or 5 hours until we got out.

The spot we went to, apparently has a lot of off-roaders going there...and there's always a ton that get stuck. So basically, if you ain't got an all out off-roader with like 20k in it, you ain't gonna make it.

I used to have a 94 Wrangler with a 3" body lift and a 4" suspension lift. ARB Air locker in the front, Warn 8,000 winch in the front and 6,000 Warn in the rear. I had 36" Dunlop Mud Rover shoes too. While I didn't want to I traded it in when I got my Cherokee. Besides it was in Panama and I would have had to pay to ship a second vehicle back when I came back to the US.

How could I forget, I put a small air compressor under the driver's seat so I could air up or air down my shoes on the trail.

99 Jeep Wrangler Sport w/ Soft Top. Plain jane stock vehicle. Always think about hopping it up but always find other things to spend my money on....=)

Later
Whistlre

My mom has an '01 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L V8. Fastest SUV I've been in, and sounds sweet. Not too shabby offroad, either.

I thaught this was about jeeps?j/k I have a 78' CJ-5 Renegade,it had a 304ci V8 factory but a little to much bashin scaterd it so I got a junkyard donor 360ci AMC.About the same hp. but alot more torque.I have also replaced the 3 speed manual tranny and installed 4:10 gears with stronger axles and hubs.Its no looker but I aint skeered to try to climp anything and theres no mud hole in the state I havnt attempted to cross!

Originally posted by NitroM3GTR
My mom has an '01 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 4.7L V8. Fastest SUV I've been in, and sounds sweet. Not too shabby offroad, either.
A Jeep and an SUV are two different animals. It's like comparing and Isuzu Trooper and a Ferrari.

Originally posted by El Pirata
A Jeep and an SUV are two different animals. It's like comparing and Isuzu Trooper and a Ferrari.

Damn EP, that's a horrible analogie bro. Yeah, a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee are two different animals. THe only thing they really have in common is 4wheel drive. The wrangler has a straight axle in the front and the Cherokee uses CV's like my Pathfinder. CV's eat up allot of torque and don't have nearly the articulation and strength of a true straight axle. One thing the americans always got right is axles. Look how long the Danna 44 has been around and it was still the choice for Jeeps new Rubicon. Some things stay bad ass regardless of advances in tech.

NCnitro - Nice man. You could easily light up the Mesa out here with that much light. How do you like the BFG AT's?? They have some beefy ass sidewalls but they definitely run "hard" on the road.

Whistlre - You can have plenty of fun in that "stock" truck if ya know how to drive it.

Joneser - NIce dude. You got pics? I've always had allot of respect for the CJ's. We're getting ready to drop an LS1 Vet engine into a Scout II..the engine fits fine with the conversion but the biggest hurdle is going to be the computer setup. Danna 44 front and rear with ARB air lockers front and rear on a trade for a beater Honda. Haven't decided on gearing and tranny yet but have the 2-speed "rock crawler" transfer case in check.

The Mud Terraines are great tires. They hum a bit on road, but no where near as bad as I thought they were gonna, I have been very happy with them. Those KCs will turn night in to day, lol.

NitroBoy, I was looking through my new Jegs catalog and they have computer s and harnesses for LS-1 engines in there. I think they come in both TBI and TPI setups. As far as the gearing, what size rims and tires are you going for? If you were going to put in 32x10's on 16 rims, 4.11's might jsut do it for you for that tire/rim package. Also, if you were going to do some rock crawling, also take a look into Currie rearends. They make some pratically indestructable rears in all forms from Strange axles to 9" fords.

Hey Driver - Thanks for chimming in. Well, I wanna run 37x15.50MT's or 35x15.50MT's (Danna 44's can easily handle 37's) but it's probably not gonna happen without some serious fender cutting which I don't wanna do as I want it to look stock as possible. Not to mention that when you go to 35's or larger your talking serious cash for tires. The biggest I think I'm gonna be able to run is 33x12:50's with 4" suspension lift. I wanted to do custom coil over springs with portal axles but it would cost way to freaking much for the custom work. Desert Rat always has good deals on WHeel/tire packages and I wouldn't wanna run anything larger then 15's with whatever width is needed. As for gearing, I wanna go as low as I can and still be able to do 70 on the freeway.

I've never heard of Currie readends, I'm also gonna check out Jegs if possible for CPU's.

HERE'S the link for a lot of offroad stuff. Currie has been into offroad stuff for many years. It's not just about rearends and axles. Suspension stuff is there too. They deal mostly with jeeps but they do custom rears and fronts as well. They're based out of Anaheim, Ca.