Antenna Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave NY

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
In the process of completing TLR 22X-4 and I have a question regarding the antenna. Almost all of the TLR 22X-4 that I have seen do not have an antenna protruding thru the body, in fact I have only seen 1 that does.

My question is what do you folks do? Is this due to the electronics being used? Do some receivers need the antenna and others don't? How do you route the antenna lead if not thru the body?

My Radio is the FlySky GT3B w/receiver.

If its a 2.4, on my crawler I lay it inline in the chassis. Not the best thing but it makes it more scale. I have seen guys wrap it around the tube and even scrap plastic. Whatever you do, dont cut it!

on that rx on that radio .id put it thru the body.

I wasn't going to cut it, but thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about laying it inside the chassis but I don't want to have it in a place where the insulation could be rubbed thru like under the battery, etc.

tntproof,

Why is that? Is the rx and tx not the best at sending receiving?

I wasn't going to cut it, but thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about laying it inside the chassis but I don't want to have it in a place where the insulation could be rubbed thru like under the battery, etc.

tntproof,

Why is that? Is the rx and tx not the best at sending receiving?
Buy a length of 1/8in poly 'snakeskin' from a local electronics supply store. Run the antenna lead through it for protection. If the antenna lead has an exposed length on the end, leave it open, free and not touching anything. What is your radio system?

If there is room, stub a short vertical inside and underneath the body. Generally, reception works best that way. There are a few manu's that offer receivers with internal antenna. That's an option for future upgrade.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'

I use the GT3B and lay my antenna inside the chassis in a safe place out of the way. I even cover it with fabric tape on some of them. Never had a signal issue.

All of mine are on the inside of the body, I run close to me because I have a tough time walking anymore so the closer to a wreck the better...:)

Buy a length of 1/8in poly 'snakeskin' from a local electronics supply store. Run the antenna lead through it for protection. If the antenna lead has an exposed length on the end, leave it open, free and not touching anything. What is your radio system?

If there is room, stub a short vertical inside and underneath the body. Generally, reception works best that way. There are a few manu's that offer receivers with internal antenna. That's an option for future upgrade.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Cheers. 'AC'
Since around here, that isnt easy to find, what i do is use the smaller coffee straws (if you dont like the candy cane look, you can paint them any color you want) from one of the local stores. For @Dave NY you can get them at the store in Alpine junction. What i typically do is cut them, depending on the body, and then put a rubber cap on it so that the extra is running down the side of the straw, something like these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2537705792...A5UL1GLvJDp03ucfPs12gNyJge_4gD2YaApeGEALw_wcB We really dont have crap around here, except the typical big box stores. The only electronics store around here is Best Buy. Everything else closed awhile ago.

I already have the straw, it came with the receiver but I had thought of picking up some extra coffee straws next time I stop for a coffee, great minds think alike.

That way I can experiment a little, cut 1 just above the body then tape the antenna to the external side of the body, etc.

I already have the straw, it came with the receiver but I had thought of picking up some extra coffee straws next time I stop for a coffee, great minds think alike.

That way I can experiment a little, cut 1 just above the body then tape the antenna to the external side of the body, etc.
I dont know as i would tape it to the body. A crash or someone running into you could easily pull the wire apart. Another option would be to tape it to the straw. Just dont tape it near the plastic end. Having it under the body has never, in my experience, caused any issues. The body typically doent block the signal. The one thing you dont want to do is wrap it up inside the receiver box. I did that once, on a Slash 2WD, and it acted odd.

a coffee stray wont cut it oh it will cut it when you roll it lol.

Having the pigtail on a 2.4ghz radio perpendicular to the ground works the best. It doesn't need to really extend out of the body. The ones I have are so short that my antenna tube itself is only a couple inches long at most and the majority of what's in the tube is the unsheathed pigtail portion. I run spektrum systems in my vehicles.

This is the one on my maxx:
2022-0420-maxx-antenna.jpg

Doesn't need to be that tall, but laying it down completely flat on the chassis will likely limit your range.

Some receivers don't have an external antenna at all. Flysky has one with the antenna inside the receiver:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/flysky-fgr4s-afhds3-mini-receiver-waterproof.html

Back