ansmann racing virus rtr

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammyturbo

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi guys totally new too nitro r/c buggies so need a bit of help !!

bought the ansmann racing virus two days ago and had it out and run two tanks through at low speeds to break it in, then gradually started gettin quicker :)!! All was good, i take it out this morning and got it started no problem then it starts too cut out when on full throttle. I adjusted the carb screw and it ran fine for two tanks ! I go out a few hours later and now it wont even idle on its own ! I may have moved the idle screw and can't seem too get it too go at all now:surrender any help would be appreciated

sammy

I'm not trying to poke fun here, but the name of that vehicle gave me a good chuckle.

Have you tried resetting the needle to factory settings?

ha i know what ya mean bud !!

what do you mean by factory setting? and wich needle

there is the idling screw and the main needle valve

i probably sond silly but only had the thing two days!!

No, you're not silly. It is easy to mess around with the needles and get the engine out of tune and make it difficult to run. Did your RTR come with any manuals on the engine settings? I'm having trouble finding any manufacturer website to find the factory carb settings for your particular model.

When you say you can't get it to idle, do you mean it's going dead or its idling at a higher rpm? If you are bringing it in from a high speed pass and letting off and it bogs down and goes dead, the engine may be loading up meaning the high speed needle is too rich.

If it simply won't idle, your idle needle may require adjustment. Have you looked over the nitro engine tuning troubleshooting flow chart? I've ran out of time here at lunch so maybe someone can get you a link or you could do a search for that.

It would help us if you could give any engine temps, and describe how/when the engine dies.

Hi marauder,

when i start the engine it idles very high and sometimes even tries too start and move forward ! sometimes it will just cut out on its own but also if i put any throttle on it dies !
all i got with the instructions is basiclly that i should run it rich for the first few tanks then start to get leaner until optimum performance is reached i will be goin back to the shop next week if i can't do it my self so not all is lost !lol as for engine temps not sure how too take them

thanks again for the help

Hi marauder,

when i start the engine it idles very high and sometimes even tries too start and move forward ! sometimes it will just cut out on its own but also if i put any throttle on it dies !
all i got with the instructions is basiclly that i should run it rich for the first few tanks then start to get leaner until optimum performance is reached i will be goin back to the shop next week if i can't do it my self so not all is lost !lol as for engine temps not sure how too take them

thanks again for the help

As for your temps, you can try the cheap way and the right way. The right way is to get a thermal gun. If you manage to get one, your temps should be between 230 to 250ish. That's kinda like a standard. If you dont have a temp gun to use, try dropping a droplet of water on the cooling head. if it boils off immediately, shut down, your running too hot. If it takes 5 seconds or more for it to boil off, your about right on your temps.

*this is where the experts flame me for such a newb suggestion, lol*

But it works till you get a gun :)

well I found the manual and the website for that buggy, but he's not kidding when he says there's no factory settings! here'st he link to download the PDF, I can't find the info, but maybe someone else can.

http://www.ansmann.de/pdata/MTE0MDAwMDAx/manual_pdf.pdf

If that dont work, then idk. Hope one of the pro's here can help better.

hiya buddy,

yeah thats the book i got with it ! not gonna get a chance too have a go at sortin it till sunday but will try the temp test only thing is i can't see it gettin very hot when its cutting out after a couple of seconds ?? and also if it is runnning hot what do i do then ???

also where can i find the engine tuning troubleshooting flow chart marauder was talking about??

No problem marauder just been out with it (had a 2 hours free) and finally got it goin i can even put full throttle on but it feels like its holding back ?? maybe too lean ?

its a start anyway !! i will read through that info now see if it can help me cheers

hiya buddy,

yeah thats the book i got with it ! not gonna get a chance too have a go at sortin it till sunday but will try the temp test only thing is i can't see it gettin very hot when its cutting out after a couple of seconds ?? and also if it is runnning hot what do i do then ???

also where can i find the engine tuning troubleshooting flow chart marauder was talking about??

If your temps are too high, then your running too lean, you need to richen your tune a bit. As for it holding back, make sure your trim is set right on your TX, you might be having some brake drag. Or you may have to fiddle with the tuning a bit more. GL!

ok goin out tomorrow again so should be able too fine tune it a little more thanks for your help everyone and will update you soon

Just got back from the shop ended up buyin a tamiya nitrage too play with while the ansmann is getting fixed (drove it into a wall lol and gettin tuned and setup) Got the nitrage running spot on it starts on a drill start so having too charge the batterys at the moment

Back