Another E-Bay Spoof

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
For thoes of you that have never seen an e-bay spoof mail here is an example of one I just received.

Dear eBay member

We recently noticed one or more attempts to log in to your eBay account from a
foreign IP address and we have reasons to belive that your account was hijacked
by a third party without your authorization.

If you recently accessed your account while traveling,the unusual log in attempts
may have been initiated by you.
However,if you are the rightfull holder of the account, click on the link below,
fill the form and then submit as we try to verify your identity.

The link was here>>>>>>>

The log in attempt was made from:
IP address: 205.188.209.166
ISP host: cache-dq04.proxy.aol.com

If you choose to ignore our request,you leave us no choise but to temporaly suspend
your account.

We ask that you allow at least 72 hours for the case to be investigated and we
strongly recommend not to make any changes to your account in that time.

If you received this notice and you are not the authorized account
holder, please be aware that it is in violation of eBay policy to represent
oneself as another eBay user. Such action may also be in violation of
local, national, and/or international law. eBay is committed to assist
law enforcement with any inquires related to attempts to misappropriate
personal information with the intent to commit fraud or theft.
Information will be provided at the request of law enforcement agencies to
ensure that perpetrators are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

*Please do not respond to this e-mail as your reply will not be received.

Thanks for your patience as we work together to protect your account.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
eBay Inc.

Last edited:
Never seen one before. Thanx for the heads up.

I reported the spoof and got 2 e-mails within 3 minutes.
Here is the first.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting eBay's Trust and Safety Department about email solicitations that are falsely made to appear to have come from eBay.
These emails, commonly referred to as "spoof" messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal information from recipients who reply to the message or click on a link to a Web page requesting this information.

The email you reported did not originate from, nor is it endorsed by, eBay. We are very concerned about this problem and are working diligently to address the situation. We are currently investigating the source of this email to take further action. You may rest assured that your account standing has not changed and that your listings have not been affected.

We advise you to be very cautious of email messages that ask you to submit information such as your credit card number or your email password. eBay will never ask you for sensitive personal information such as passwords, bank account or credit card numbers, Personal Identification Numbers (PINs), or Social Security numbers in an email itself. If you ever need to provide information to eBay please open a new Web browser, type www.ebay.com, and click on the "site map" link located at the top the page to access the eBay page you need.

If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to [email protected] and do not respond to it or click on any of the links in the email message. Please do not change the subject line or forward the email as an attachment.

If you entered personal information such as your password, social security number or credit card numbers into a Website based on a request from a spoofed email, you need to take immediate action to protect your identity. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

To get to the "Protecting Your Identity" Help page from the eBay site, please click on the "help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and select the following topics when the "eBay Help Center" window
appears:

Safe Trading > If Something Goes Wrong > Identity Theft

We encourage you to review additional information about protecting your identity found in the eBay Help system. Please click on the "help" link located at the top of most eBay pages and select the following topics when the "eBay Help Center" window appears:

Safe Trading > If Something Goes Wrong& > Account Theft > Account Protection

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant online marketplace.

Regards,

Ian
eBay SafeHarbor
Investigations Team

And the 2nd one.

Thank you for contacting eBay's Trust & Safety Department about an email you received from an address that includes "@ebay.com" but may not be an authentic email from eBay. We will investigate this situation immediately.

There have been cases where people have attempted to gain access to an eBay member's personal information by sending "spoof" emails. Spoof emails intentionally give the false impression that they have been sent by eBay to solicit people to provide their account information.

Based on your inquiry to eBay's Trust and Safety Department, the email you received was likely a spoof. eBay is very concerned about spoof email and is taking prompt action to address the issue. If you think you may have entered personal information into a spoof site, you should review the Web page listed below:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-identity-theft.html

This eBay Help page contains detailed information about the following
steps:

1. Change your eBay password and email account password

Periodically changing your password is one of the most effective ways to maintain security on any Web site. If you think there is a possibility of a breach in your account security, we strongly suggest that you change your password immediately.

2. Forward the email to [email protected]

If you haven't already done so, please forward a copy of the email, (which includes the full header), to [email protected]. Forwarding the email will help us investigate the matter more quickly. Please do not forward the email as an attachment or alter the subject line in any way.
For more information on how to identify a header, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/basics/information.html

3. Protect your identity

If you entered information such as your social security number or credit card numbers into a Web site that you were directed to visit via a spoofed email, you need to take immediate action to protect your identity. The following Web sites have valuable information on the steps you should take to protect yourself:

eBay Help:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/problems-identity-theft.html
U.S. Government ID Theft Site:
http://www.consumer.gov/idtheft/victim.htm
BBB ID Theft Site:
http://www.newyork.bbb.org/identitytheft/newscams.html

4. Secure your computer

Be sure to keep your operating system, Web browser, and virus detection software up to date. Microsoft has issued a security update for Internet Explorer software to mitigate the possibility of a malicious person creating a link to a deceptive (spoofed) Web site that displays the address, or URL, of a legitimate Web site in the Status bar, Address bar or Title bar.

If you use Internet Explorer, we strongly encourage you to go to www.microsoft.com, click on Windows Update, and follow the prompts. In addition, periodically update your anti-virus software and scan your computer for viruses.

To help our members better protect themselves from spoof Web sites, we have developed a new feature for the eBay Toolbar called Account Guard. Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site, buttons to report fake eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when you may be entering your eBay password into an unverified site. To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard, open a new browser and type www.ebay.com/ebay_toolbar into the address bar. Note that eBay will never send you an email that includes a download as an attachment or a link that goes to a page with a download.

We will contact you once our investigation is complete or if we need more information. In order to dedicate resources to investigating this type of situation, please submit any other questions or concerns through our Help System, which can be accessed by clicking on the Help button at the top of any eBay page.

*Please do not respond to this email, as your reply will not be received. If you need to contact us again, please use the eBay Help system.

We appreciate your efforts to keep eBay a safe marketplace.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety Team

Thanks for the heads up Eddy. There is always someone out there trying to rip you off.

i have never gotten one from eBay but i have gotten a bunch from Paypal. but just incase i do get one from eBay i will make sure i delete it..

later

Yeah but you didn't include the bogus link... For those of you who don't know about these people that send that stuff they will write out the correct link for you to click on however below the text will be a link taking you to someplace they want you fo go. Many times they have set this link to resemble the actual site you are supposed to be going including the links on the page however generally in the middle of the page is a login and that's what they hope you will do. Login.

You'll give them your username and password in which they can wreak havoc. My best advise if you receive one of these is first off not to click the link they provided for you. Secondly, if you have any doubt about the information they are talking about visit the site in question using the regular means you reach that site and login that way. Once there check your account status and that'll give you the info that you need.

Also, if memory serves when E-Bay sends you an e-mail they will address you by your E-Bay username rather than member. Paypal will do the same except they will address you by your actual name on the account, not the screen name.

It's a very popular scam. People even get similar emails regarding their on line banking. If you ever get anything like this from ANYBODY, never reply to the link, where you will be asked to re-submit your information, but call on the phone.

I fell prey to the ebay scam last year and honestly right after I clicked submit something didn't feel right to me and I got on a live chat with an ebay rep and he told me it was a spoof I felt like such an idiot. However I acted immediately and cancelled all of my credit cards changed all of the passwords I gave it and I never came up with a problem.

Lucky you.

One of my troops a few years ago kept getting all these mysterious checks being charged to her account causing several legit charges to bounce. Appearantly she had left her checkbook semi opened in her car and 3 squids saw the info, printed their own checks, made fake id's to match the checks and wrote them. I forget how the perps were caught but they were and went to stir at leavenworth. If memory serves they got like 5 or 10 years because they had been doing this to a few dozen other people.

Back