Account & Password Security Best Practices

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This thread is simply meant as a reminder of the best practices for maintaining account security. This applies not only to your account on this site but--very importantly--your accounts on other sites, any site really.

The below are some helpful tips to protect yourself from the seemingly never ending website hacks and breaches.

Avoid Password Reuse

These days, many account compromises happen through password reuse. Billions of user records have been compromised on a variety of sites and this data is available to anyone who wants to go looking for it. In many of these cases, it's possible to look up a user by username or email and find their plain text password. To give you an idea of the extent of compromised data, try looking up your email on Have I Been Pwned?. If you reuse a password from a compromised site, your account is not secure. Ideally, you would use a unique password on each site.

Use a Strong Password

Coming up with passwords is hard. If you're choosing your own password, chances are it's not going to be that strong. There are techniques to help you generate stronger passwords, but unfortunately, many memorable passwords are simply not strong enough to hold up to password cracking tools (such as would be used when someone downloads a compromised database). Wikipedia has an extensive page discussing password strength: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_strength

The strongest passwords are literally random strings. As these are far from memorable, you will need a tool to store (and generate) these passwords. These are known as password managers. With them, you choose one (very strong) master password and then have it generate unique passwords for every site. This means the site only receive a strong password that is unique to it, solving both the strength and reuse issues.

There are a variety of password managers to choose from. A few include:

Enable Two-Step Verification

Whenever you have the option, you should enable two-step verification (also known as two-factor authentication). Should your password ever be compromised (either through a compromised site or something like a keylogger), two-step verification can help keep an attacker from logging into your account.

If possible, you should do two-step verification through your phone using an app such as Google Authenticator, Authenticator Plus, Authy (or some other hardward-based method). This would generally require an attacker to physically have your phone/your token to complete the two-step verification. Other methods (such as email verification) provide some benefit but are not as safe as using a separate device for verification.

Enforce Protection of High Value Accounts

Your accounts on different sites may have varying levels of "importance" based on the information they protect. You should be absolutely sure that you are taking as many steps as possible to protect high value accounts. Generally speaking, this would include any email account (as password reset mechanisms mean email accounts are master keys) and financial accounts (banks, PayPal, etc).

thank you Woodie, I copied and sent it to my Mom once again she believes she was hacked. I think somebody was just spoofing here username but attaching a fake email address. I haven't had the time to go by there and dig into it yet.

Back