Annodizing Removal/High Speed Polish. Pic Intensive, not 56k Friendly

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diver6127

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, A lot of you have been PMing me about annodizing removal and highspeed polishing. I had some parts here that Buncrana gave me to do for his R40 and some extra stuff I had laying around for demonstration purposes. Let me know what you think ...

My NovaMega 2171 pipe and header. I left the header raw aluminum for contrast.
buffing_001.gif

Buncrana's Cooling head. Sorry, forgot to do a "before, during and after" pic.
buffing_005.gif

Side exhaust from an OS .12CV-RX
buffing_009.gif

Same header in raw aluminum finish
buffing_010.gif

OS .12 CV-RX cooling head. Make not of the gouges on top
buffing_013.gif

Same head in raw aluminum finish - gouges still present
buffing_015.gif

Same head after "Rubber Wheel treatment" No more gouges
buffing_019.gif

After buffing, a quick bath in the Ultrasonic cleaner
buffing_022.gif

Buncrana's R40 chassis - Before
buffing_023.gif

Notice the gouges
buffing_024.gif

Entire chassis gets "rubber wheel" treatment. Both sides
buffing_029.gif

No more gouges
buffing_031.gif

Finished products
OS .12CV-RX
buffing_032.gif

R40 chassis
buffing_034.gif

buffing_035.gif

Everything I did this evening ...
Buncrana's R40 chassis & cooling head, my OS fully assembled, Novamega 2171 pipe (polished) and header (raw aluminum finish)
buffing_037.gif

Well, this is what I do for my R/C's. If you want this done as well, please be patient. I am leaving for vacation on April 23-May 13. When I get back, I'll be able to do something for you guys as well as talk over "something" with the mods and WoodiE.

Last edited:
WOW! You have some great stuff and skill! Nice job. I may send over my Purple TVP's in and get them in Raw form! Nice job Brother.

Any time Jon. Just wait till I get back from vacation. I have an idea that I want to pitch to WoodiE. I just have to get some things worked out.

Oh My God!!!

I can tell youguys that the head he did for me was grungy black and gouged on the top from when I did a head slide across the parking lot with no lid on. The chassis was pretty bad also. Awesome job, man. I'm thinking Savage TVP's in time for the HPI Challenge! :hump: :cheers:

What ever you want Tom! It's not a hard job, just time consuming if I have a lot of gouges to remove. Granted, I can't take all of them out because I don't want to compromise the metal, but I take off as much as I can.

I knew you would like it. I just had to do the head on the OS engine since it was in almost the same condition as the cooling head you gave me.

Best I could find for a before pic of that head of mine. The pic does not show how bad the gouge on the top was.

Attachments

• old head.JPG
    old head.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 107
THAT IS SWEET. every time I try to polish things I get this weird brushed look that is never even. I will have to get my chassis from my maxx to you later, ha ha. Great job.

Nice job!! I would like to do that to alot of my aluminum on my Maxx.

Tarant said:
THAT IS SWEET. every time I try to polish things I get this weird brushed look that is never even. I will have to get my chassis from my maxx to you later, ha ha. Great job.
2044Buffing_station.jpg

This is where I do the buffing. 3 angles of polish at 3700 RPM's makes quick work of it with a high cut/polish Rouge. It's hard to do it with a dremel and be consistant. It can be done though. Just gotta take your time. If you do it with metal polish and a rag, you'll get the "brushed look" you stated.

Took me a long time to learn this and just be proficient, as an apprentice (about 7 years). I do this type of work on surgical stainless steel so aluminum is a walk in the park for me.

Last edited:
How do you remove the annodizing? I have heard of using draino but was wondering what else can be used? By the way how much do you charge to do this :)

Nice work Diver... I will have those parts from my Savage for ya as soon as I get back from Florida, & get her ripped down.. I ran out of time to get them too ya before hand.. I'll be in touch.. Have a great vacation..

2044Sand_blaster.jpg

I remove the annodizing with a sandblaster using fine grit glass bead media. I tried the annodizing once and I didn't like the results. The fine grit glassbeads gives a more even look and won't pit the metal.

As far as price, I'm going to refrain from giving a price for now since I'll be on vacation for 3 weeks. When I get back, I will be able to start setting prices. I need to gauge operation costs as well as how hard certain parts will be to refinish in the requested forms and stages.

Needless to say, it'll be affordable and will also benefit RCNT as well.The chassis will be the most expensive since they are the most labor intensive. Gouge removal takes up a lot of time and is kind dangerous, as well as the buffing (if requested).

Freaking nice work bro! If I can finish my Savage stuff you know where it is headed!

ImBroken said:
Nice work Diver... I will have those parts from my Savage for ya as soon as I get back from Florida, & get her ripped down.. I ran out of time to get them too ya before hand.. I'll be in touch.. Have a great vacation..
Not a prob TJ. We'll get things worked out after May 13. Enjoy Florida!

As far as price, I'm going to refrain from giving a price for now since I'll be on vacation for 3 weeks. When I get back, I will be able to start setting prices. I need to gauge operation costs as well as how hard certain parts will be to refinish in the requested forms and stages.

Needless to say, it'll be affordable and will also benefit RCNT as well.The chassis will be the most expensive since they are the most labor intensive. Gouge removal takes up a lot of time and is kind dangerous, as well as the buffing (if requested).[/QUOTE]

Thats cool. I have mostly small parts and they are almost all new with no gouges, what I would really like to do is my 5 star aluminum Maxx wheels they are anodized purple. I was going with the purple aluminum when I started to build it and went a little over board lol anyway sounds like you have a sweet set up to do a really nice job keep up the nice work :)

I can remove the annodizing on the wheels but I won't be able to do the polishing with the techniques and equipment I'm using now. It would be too dangerous. Trust me, I tried and that sucker got snagged and flew out of my hands like a bullit while buffing.That would have to be done with a dremel.

I could see how that could happen. Have to be carefull with the Dremel too, they like to catch and jump then you end up with more gouges lol.

jetmechG550 said:
Nice use of the new D20!
LOL ... how did you ever guess? Now, all I have to do is build myself a little "photo booth" like Eddy did so I can take pictures with controlled lighting.

I LOVE this 20D. I'm still learning it but it's a great camera. User friendly too ... ok, when you read the directions first, it's user friendly.

Back