An easier way to remove a piston sleeve.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenMale1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Earlier i was online looking for methods to remove the piston sleeve from my nitrostar g3.0 engine when i came across this one. Its probably one of the best methods i have come across in a while, its so easy to do and works perfectly.

Here it is...

Tolerances between an engine's sleeve and crankcase are super-tight for a reason: any gap between the sleeve and crankcase can cause fuel and air to blow by the ports in the sleeve. When you want to remove the piston sleeve from the engine, this tight fit can cause problems. To minimize the risk of scratching either the piston or the sleeve itself, simply slide a few plastic zip-ties halfway into the exhaust port. Gently turn the flywheel back and forth, and as the piston pushes the zip-ties upward, the sleeve should be dislodged. Be sure your hands and fingers are completely clean, and then grasp the sleeve and pull it out completely.

A tight connecting rod can also be a pain to remove, but luckily, there's an easy method. After you've removed the sleeve from the crankcase, place a few drops of oil on the brass connecting-rod bushing where it is mated with the crankshaft. Cut a short piece of dental floss, then loop it around the conrod. Now gently tug the floss to pull the conrod off the crankshaft, and then carefully pull the entire piston/conrod assembly out of the top of the engine.

Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how to get it back in again, lol. But thats easy enough to grasp.

Thanks for reading and if you have any other good tips n tricks for nitro rc engines please feel free to post them below!

Bye! :first_place:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it should work like that but not always the case... My LRP.28 needed a new piston sleeve and I tried the same thing AND heated the block too and still no joy... Gave it too the guy in the hobby shop to have a go for me and ... 2 months later still not out.. LOL... Gave up and bought a .30 LMAO!

Hahaha, lol. Yh i kinda struggled with it aswell cause my conrod is broken, so i had to keep aligning it to make sure it moved the piston.

Back