Removing the sleeve and piston HPI G3.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRain

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

You may or may not have read my woeful introduction, well I'm now progressing outside of the newbie zone and in to the main arena.

In short I bought a HPI Firestorm for far too much money with a broken con rod.

I've removed the head, exhaust manifold and pull start so that everything is exposed.

Are there any tricks to getting the sleeve and piston out of the engine? I've read a bit but they all seem to involve cranking the piston up with something wedged in to the exhaust port which clearly won't work with nothing attached to the piston :confused:

Thanks in advance :D

Hi guys,

You may or may not have read my woeful introduction, well I'm now progressing outside of the newbie zone and in to the main arena.

In short I bought a HPI Firestorm for far too much money with a broken con rod.

I've removed the head, exhaust manifold and pull start so that everything is exposed.

Are there any tricks to getting the sleeve and piston out of the engine? I've read a bit but they all seem to involve cranking the piston up with something wedged in to the exhaust port which clearly won't work with nothing attached to the piston :confused:

Thanks in advance :D

Good luck!...Lol
If the sleeve is damaged or distorted at the bottom of the sleeve ,then its not going to come out!
However ,if its just a little nicked up or burred ,you might can file it down at the bottom of the sleeve
enough to get it to slide out.
You can also try heating it.

Thanks, I did see about heating it. Not sure if a hair dryer will get hot enough or to follow the on-line advice of taking off the ancillaries and putting it in the oven.

This video explained what I was going to say pretty well:

Ninnon, thanks but how does cranking it like that work without the piston attached to the rod?

Ok so along these lines I managed to get the sleeve out, I had an eureka moment whilst stripping parts off of it and refitted the rod so that I could lock it and undo the nut holding the shaft in. To do this I cranked the rod so that it caught on the piston sleeve and then I started to undo that nut for the flywheel. As I started applying pressure the sleeve popped right out with ease.

If anyone's interested there's a picture in my 'introduction' thread!

Good job nothing like learning on the job. One thing to note the previous owner used cheap bazher fuel, which leaves deposited causing the liners to get "gummed" up. Quality fuels the piston will come out with ease. They xcan however get stuck to the point where it's inpssoble to remove without damaging it. You were aware you don't need to move the sleeve or piston out to change the rod right?

Good job nothing like learning on the job. One thing to note the previous owner used cheap bazher fuel, which leaves deposited causing the liners to get "gummed" up. Quality fuels the piston will come out with ease. They xcan however get stuck to the point where it's inpssoble to remove without damaging it. You were aware you don't need to move the sleeve or piston out to change the rod right?

Thanks, the piston is damaged so it had to come out, I did look at just the rod but the piston had shattered a bit at the bottom so it all came out :D

Unless you are a magician ,you do have to take the sleeve out first to get the piston out when the rod is intact ,
an the piston has to be removed to replace a rod!

I found that too, it was very tight at the top of the sleeve, you'd never get the piston out that way.