Alternative lubes for MIP CVD's

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cupooterluvr

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK so today I was driving my Maxx and it sounded awfully squeaky. I pulled it in and pushed it and it's really loud! It's coming from the joints in the CVD's. This is strange because I smeared the MIP lube all over em when I put them together last.

My question is, would it be ok to just fill the joint with WD-40 and spin it around a bit every run, or should I use something like graphite powder? My dad has a tube of the graphite powder and I was using it on the dogbones in my RC18 to stop them squeaking.

EDIT: I know there's this stuff called white lightning or dry ice or something like that... Any opinions?

Just plain ol' black axle grease is all I use. Clean the CVD's really good, and re-assemble greasing the daylights out of the parts.

My dad has a bunch of tubes of axle grease for our RV trailer. Would that work? I really hate taking out the tranny to get to the CVD's...

Also would packing the joints with grease help with dirt getting in there?

There's no way that dirt isn't going to get in there, even with a boot. But use the grease, I don't think WD 40 is the way to go with that application. You need a thick grease that will stick around for a while if you know what I mean. And yes, the tubes that your Dad has will work. You can also get it in a can, like a butter tub, and that might be easier than the grease gun for that application. If you should need to buy it, you can get it at wal-mart or any auto-parts store for a few bucks out the door.

I had an idea for a kind of "grease syringe" that I can inject grease into it so I don't have to take it off to lube it. Would that work just as well? It makes sense to me. If I do make one I'll use the axle grease my dad has. (thanks Charlie)

Using a syringe to inject the grease would probaly work. That's not a bad idea. Much better than the wd40 anyway. I think it would work just fine.

I have always used moto cross chain lube. It is a dry film lubricant. Seems to work good but maybe I am off track too....never can tell

I use Sullivan Dry Ice.

Grease attracts dirt and makes the joint gritty which contributes to wear. If you had a boot over the joint to keep the dirt out, then grease is the way to go.

How much is a tube of Dry Ice and how many uses can you get out of it? Also how long does a coating last?

Thank you. I think I'll use that.

The length of time the coating lasts depends on the conditions you run in.

For instance, I use it on my touring cars and it will last all season and still no signs of wear.

I always reapply whenever I do maintenance on my rigs as well whether it needs it or not.

Note that you actually do not need to take the CVD appart to apply the stuff. Just squirt some in there and blow the excess out with compressed air.

I also use it on all the dog bones/cups and hinge pins.

So just position the truck so that the CVD forms a cup and pour some in? Sounds simple enough.... Also, I found out that it was actually my brakes squeaking. For some reason the brake lever is having a hard time moving.