Air intake pressure increase theory (NTC3)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlwayzbuildingRC

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
so it's not really a theory but I am running and nitro tc3 and I am Designing an airscoop directly linked to my air filter, I was wondering if anybody has tried to do so and if it worked or not, my basic principle behind it is that once I reach higher speeds Funneling air direct into my carb almost acting like a small turbo, also do i need to alter my mixture ratio?

Got any pictures of your current setup?

I've done a "cold air intake" but don't believe it would create any kind of turbo effect like you're mentioned in your setup.

Got any pictures of your current setup?

I've done a "cold air intake" but don't believe it would create any kind of turbo effect like you're mentioned in your setup.

I'm just working on a prototype and intake right now will post some pictures when I'm working on the final, and not necessarily a turbo like I mentioned but having a larger intake funneling down to a small opening right before the carburetor I figure it will increase speed of the air going into the carburetor

This seems problematic to me...I'm no expert but if you build an air intake like that it seems like your going to put more air in it while moving which will make it run more lean when your WOT compared to when its moving slower or idling. If thats the case you could end up with a tuning nightmare on your hands if the air intake amount is significant enough. If its not enough to make a significant difference in power then theres no point in doing it and if it does make a significant difference in power then you'll never be able to tune it so theres no point in doing it...Seems like a lose/lose to me. I am interested in any results or opinion you have on it though if you do make one :)

This seems problematic to me...I'm no expert but if you build an air intake like that it seems like your going to put more air in it while moving which will make it run more lean when your WOT compared to when its moving slower or idling. If thats the case you could end up with a tuning nightmare on your hands if the air intake amount is significant enough. If its not enough to make a significant difference in power then theres no point in doing it and if it does make a significant difference in power then you'll never be able to tune it so theres no point in doing it...Seems like a lose/lose to me. I am interested in any results or opinion you have on it though if you do make one :)

Yes i expect it to messed up my tunning, i am dedinately gonna hace to catfish with it a bit, and it more of an expirement to me.

Yes i expect it to messed up my tunning, i am dedinately gonna hace to catfish with it a bit, and it more of an expirement to me.

Dont take this the wrong way but why would you want to do it if you expect it to become untunable?

Dont take this the wrong way but why would you want to do it if you expect it to become untunable?

Because i dont think its untunable just gonna take patience and if the army has tought me one thing, its patience.

I learned 2 things in the Army. Patience...Hurry up and wait was the one they drummed into us.
The other I learned on my own while pulling guard duty in the rain:
Never fart while wearing a hooded poncho.

I learned 2 things in the Army. Patience...Hurry up and wait was the one they drummed into us.
The other I learned on my own while pulling guard duty in the rain:
Never fart while wearing a hooded poncho.

Lmao oh yea that poncho is the keeper of all smells, if your gonna connect a few and make a hooch for you and your battles make sure u bring your promask lmao

I don't believe you can go fast enough to make any noticeable difference.

I dont think it will make any notable difference in power but what do you think it will do to the tuning?
I don't see it making a difference. Given that the intake and exhaust ports are open at the same time, any attempt to force more air into the cylinder would be in vain as it would simply pass right through. A contraption large enough to give you an effective "ram air" would also give you additional weight and drag, cancelling out any modest gains you potentially could make. Perhaps by tuning your own pipe and increasing back pressure you could "supercharge" the motor but to me its all really a pipe dream. You want more power? Buy a more powerful motor.

interesting...I did not know that the exhaust port and the intake was open at the same time. If thats the case though the wouldnt a supercharger not have any real effect either?

interesting...I did not know that the exhaust port and the intake was open at the same time. If thats the case though the wouldnt a supercharger not have any real effect either?

That is correct. All forced induction really does on our scale nitro engines is blow more air and fuel out of the exhaust. The reason it works on our 1:1 engines is valves.

I mean I know superchargers sucked because they make you engine impossible to tune and it makes it run super lean but I didnt realize that it didnt actually produce any real results.

If you want to get more punch or do something to your motor to achieve your goals, look into porting and polishing the sleeve. any type of air induction system is a pure waste of time and money.