AE Monster GT 4.6se Gearbox problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markthetart

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi there- I bough myself a second hand Monster GT4.6se same as Thunder Tiger mta 4.6 (apparently)
It was running reasonably well but the brakes wont work properly due to a Glued casing repair where the brake cam is housed and this pushes the brake cam too far forward so I had to install 2 washers (1 left - 1 right) between the casing and rear brake shoe. This works Ok but the screws keep working loose.

After half an hour of running the truck was making grinding noises and losing drive. Also from the start reverse gear was hit and miss to select and selecting back to forward gear was verydifficult and it kept going back into reverse. 10 mins later and I got this grinding noise and intermittent loss of drive, just the sound of gears grinding.

Does anyone know where I can get a new gearbox from? orif i locate a new gear housing set - what would likely be the cause / remedy to fix internally.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - I took a video of the symptoms and tightened the slipper clutch up but no difference.

Thanking everyone in advance,

Regars,

Mark

It sounds like it's not going all the way into gear. I'd tear it apart and check things out like the bearings or any shims in there. I am not familiar with that trans, so not much help other than that.

Ebay is going to be your best bet. Sometimes with older rigs like that if you can't find the parts you need you can just buy a second rig or a roller to use as a donor rig

Hi Thanks, One way bearing - surely thats just a common item that there are different sizes - or is it SPECIFIC to that truck?
So is it worth me stripping down the ox to see whats wrong and How will I know whats worn out apart from teeth being worn away or broken?

regards

Hi Thanks, One way bearing - surely thats just a common item that there are different sizes - or is it SPECIFIC to that truck?
So is it worth me stripping down the ox to see whats wrong and How will I know whats worn out apart from teeth being worn away or broken?

regards

The Mgt. is just about obsolete ,that being said ,all of the Mgt parts are scarce or high priced.
But yea ,one could find a o-way bearing an press it into the hub!
There is many parts in the Mgt trans that can fail ,you dont know until you tear into it!

I myself never had a gear strip in none of mine ,but I had a o-way go bad ,broke pins an even
snapped the main gear shaft in half. I dont run reverse gears ,I use the forward only kits!

I do have a vid on the trans an what it looks like in one!..:cool:

Hi cBaker65, thanks for the info. any chance of getting a copy of that video?
Is it it up on Youtube?

regards

Mark

I just ordered those 2 bits from USA. Hope the import duty isnt much - I'm gonna ask him to write GIFT Less than $100 on ticket-apparently if its worth less than £135 and is a gift you dont get charged duty???

Hi cBaker65, thanks for the info. any chance of getting a copy of that video?
Is it it up on Youtube?

regards

Mark

Sorry ,forgot that I erased that vid ,actually ,I erased that vid is because of that truck being
obsolete an really didnt serve any purpose!
I can do another vid of what the trans looks like ,however if you do have stripped
gears an can't find any ,I do have spare gears including a but load of reverse gears an
the whole reverse assemblies as I run forward only ,infact ,I have A-arms ,axles an some
misc. other stuff!..:thumbs-up::cool:

I may also add ,that if the reverse servo throw is not adjusted right ,it will cause the
trans to go into a neutral state an not allow it to fully engage in gear ,so check to see
if your reverse servo or linkage is adjusted properly!..:thumbs-up:

Last edited:
Ok I will check - Should never del;ete a video coz its obsolete - people will collect them and will be vintage - like the Tamiya Sand Scorcher etc so will be of MORE use then!!!!!

ANyway, partially stripped the box down only to find a shard of metal AND a bearing that looks the wrong size foe the casing end blind hole. look... I found the metal 'Triangular?' shaped sliver of metal in the white grease next to the gears in pic 1.
what do you think?

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2659.jpeg

Screenshot 2023-03-27 at 16-11-06 MGT SE Cover.ai - MGT4.60SE_Manual.pdf.jpg

IMG_2654.jpeg

That definitely looks like a tooth off a gear. If your gears are all ok, that may be from a previous gear set thst was replaced, and they just didn't clean the case out. Not sure on what size bearing is supposed to be in there. How loose is it?

ANyway, partially stripped the box down only to find a shard of metal AND a bearing that looks the wrong size foe the casing end blind hole. look... I found the metal 'Triangular?' shaped sliver of metal in the white grease next to the gears in pic 1.
what do you think?

View attachment 162822

View attachment 162823

View attachment 162824

View attachment 162825

That is definitely the wrong size bearing ,I would have to dig out all my trans parts to check as
I dont know the sizes however I did use some Fast Eddy 8.0 bearings in my 4.6 trans. ,but I think
that bearing maybe the same size as the rest in the trans. ,that is what I need to check!

An I believe they may even be the same size as the wheel hub axle bearings!..:hehe:
But anyway ,give me some time to dig through my Mgt stuff!

That is definitely the wrong size bearing ,I would have to dig out all my trans parts to check as
I dont know the sizes however I did use some Fast Eddy 8.0 bearings in my 4.6 trans. ,but I think
that bearing maybe the same size as the rest in the trans. ,that is what I need to check!

An I believe they may even be the same size as the wheel hub axle bearings!..:hehe:
But anyway ,give me some time to dig through my Mgt stuff!
You da man CB 🤘

Ok ,I looked at my trans. parts ,that is an odd ball bearing ,it is strange
because all the others are the same ,even the one that goes at the other
end of that same shaft is the same as the bigger ones!..🤔

On that the gears that you have one plastic tooth broke ,I have two
types of those ,I have a plastic set & a metal set which is weird ,unless
the metal set went to the 4.6 version truck an the plastic set went to the
21 size engine version ,the first gen came out with a 21 size engine an
maybe they upgraded those gears to metal when they made the size
28 engine version!

Last edited:
Sorry ,forgot that I erased that vid ,actually ,I erased that vid is because of that truck being
obsolete an really didnt serve any purpose!
I can do another vid of what the trans looks like ,however if you do have stripped
gears an can't find any ,I do have spare gears including a but load of reverse gears an
the whole reverse assemblies as I run forward only ,infact ,I have A-arms ,axles an some
misc. other stuff!..:thumbs-up::cool:

I may also add ,that if the reverse servo throw is not adjusted right ,it will cause the
trans to go into a neutral state an not allow it to fully engage in gear ,so check to see
if your reverse servo or linkage is adjusted properly!..:thumbs-up:
Hi there, I posted an earlier thread about the brake cam on my Transmission cases not right so bought new cases.
I stripped the Tranny down to its knickers (ooooh! that sounds bad! LOL) and took some pictures of the parts.
When I went to try to adjust the 2-speed setting screw I had been turning the securing screw that locktights the mechanism hub om
to the shaft. a little further round the hub is the 2-speed screw - which seems to strengthen or weaken the arm that supposedly flies out
to engage 2nd gear.
There is NO mention or pictures of this assembly in the instruction and set-up manual I with the truck or anything online so
I don't know whether anything is worn or broken?
Please can someone give me some advice?

regards,

Mark

1682246142661.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2894.jpeg

Not sure of what your asking ,if your asking how to assemble or if your asking for the
2 spd. adjustment points!

I can shoot another vid on an assembly ,but adjustment points vary ,an I am not sure
of a factory set ,could be something like 2 turns out from ran all in!

Shift point adjustment are tuned while the truck is running ,there you will know if it
shifts too early ,too late or if it isnt shifting at all!

Back