Advice on new truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdman99

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I am in the market for a new truck 4x4 and just wondering what people would recommend.
I am wanting something that is tough, really quick and that I can use on grass and on tarmac.
I was looking at the FTX Vorteks because it looks so quick and has good reviews.
Also do i go with 2s or 3s Lipos ?

Hes brand new to RC so I'm guessing RTR but budget is a good question.

Also, I'm assuming you meant the Arrma Vorteks and not the FTX Vortex correct?

The Associated MT10 is a good one. A couple guys here have them. I like the Vorteks as well.

RTR and budget is about 400 pounds
Yea I meant the Vorteks.
I mean is there anything faster out there for that money with regards to RTR?

RTR and budget is about 400 pounds
Yea I meant the Vorteks.
I mean is there anything faster out there for that money with regards to RTR?

I have an almost stock Vorteks and like it quite a bit. I've replaced the C blocks front and rear with aluminum ones after breaking the stock ones and I had to replace the chassis when it cracked, my bad, cold day, bad landing at the skate park.

Only mods other than the C Blocks are a 3d printed driveshaft and bell crank cover. I don't run it nearly as much as my crawler, partially because it takes more space to run.

Hi everyone
I am in the market for a new truck 4x4 and just wondering what people would recommend.
I am wanting something that is tough, really quick and that I can use on grass and on tarmac.
I was looking at the FTX Vorteks because it looks so quick and has good reviews.
Also do i go with 2s or 3s Lipos ?
I would stay away from ftx. I don't have any experience with them but they seem to be just rebranded stuff from AliExpress and Banggood.

I am not sure if that's over your budget but I like kraton 4s and Maxx v2. Associated sc10 is also a good choice

I will take a look at your recommendations @Bogda89,
Totally get what you’re saying about FTX I’ve had a brushless tracer a couple of weeks ago and already have issues with it drifting.

Changed the stock shocks to oil ones and it’s difficult to keep straight. It tends to stay straight at first but then curve terrible once your accelerate. Probs cheap servo not up to the job.
Kraton 4s looks solid and fast :) horizon hobby’s Arrma more reliable than FTX.

Costs more over here in UK but probably spend more on replacement parts on FTX

Last edited:
I will take a look at your recommendations @Bogda89, totally get what you’re saying about FTX I’ve had a brushless tracer a couple of weeks and already have issues with drift.

Changed the stock shocks to oil ones and it’s difficult to keep straight. It tends to stay straight at first but then curve terrible once your accelerate. Probs cheap servo not up to the job.
Kraton 4s looks solid and fast :) horizon hobby’s more readable than FTX??

Costs more over here in UK but probably spend more on replacement parts on FTX
Arrma is better quality than FTX but I dont really care for the Kraton 4S. The K4 is ok on dirt or gravel but in grass or on pavement it flips over very easy. I even bought 10mm wheel hex adapter to widen the stance 20mm but it didnt really fix the issue. I'm going to try putting some truggy wheels and tires on it next and see if that helps otherwise Id look at the Kraton 6S (much much better design imo) or possibly something like the Tekno MT410, Associated MT8 or MT10, Traxxas MAXX, E-Revo, Rustler 4x4 just to name a few.

That’s surprising about the Kraton v 2 and the vorteks, all the research I’ve done suggests that them two are solid cars.
This is why I wanted your guys opinion cause you tube reviews are sometimes not correct for many reasons.

That’s surprising about the Kraton v 2 and the vorteks, all the research I’ve done suggests that them two are solid cars.
This is why I wanted your guys opinion cause you tube reviews are sometimes not correct for many reasons.
I would have resold my Kraton 4S almost as soon as I had gotten it if I didnt already have the Kraton 6S and the Kraton 8S so I've kept it just so I can say I have the whole Kraton family :)

The 6S and 8S Kratons are beastly and perform beautifully. The 4S isnt made the same at all, its pretty much designed like the 3S rigs from what I can tell (I dont own any of the arrma 3S stuff). I own several 6S rigs and the 8S and those are all great imo.

Just been looking MT10 rival

I’m reading that there is a new V2 out soon does anyone know if this is the same car with just a different body or if Team associates have upgraded parts and it’s worth waiting for ??

They wouldn't release a V2 and just slap a different body on it I'm guessing.

Well that’s what I’m hearing but I’m really hoping it’s wrong.

It dosnt need any thing new.

Well if any thing they should make a xl version. Kind of like the granite and big rock arrma offers. If they made a big rock or maxx size rival mt10 it would be perfect

Two ways to look at it I guess ..

I know it’s supposed to be good but surely something Could have been slightly improved within all the years since the first one or are we talking about the perfect RTR 4x4 for this price range and the old thing ifs not broke don’t fix it ??

Well I suppose if you have the V1 it's not worth buying. But if you don't have one yet... at least the new body looks better than the old one. At least I think it does 😜

Right guys just had it from the horses mouth from Team associated that there is no changes to the V2 other than the new body paint job .
I’m still getting one :) lol

Back