Advice needed: Breaking in 4500 mAh NiMH stick

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbage

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got a nice shiny new 4500 mAh NiMH stick pack in the post today for my WK basher truck (when I get it rebuilt) and I'd like to know how best to break it in.

I use a Hyperion EOS0606i charger/discharger so I've got a top notch charger to hand, just want to know how best to do it.

I always discharge mine and charge it, then run it, and discharge and then charge it everytime. The full cycle isn't required everytime, you could just do it the first few times and then every so often after that if you wanted. Some people will tell you that it's not necessary to do that and that NiMH doesn't have memory, but I've seen the data from extensive testing, and performance does decrease when you stop cycling the battery and just top it off instead of fully discharging it. With that Hyperion, you can just set it and forget it, so there's no reason not to cycle it IMO, the charge rates on NiMH are so high that it doesn't take long to charge them anyway.

As for charging the battery I would follow charlies info and charge at rate of between 4 - 5 amps, as for discharging them you want to make sure you don't over discharge them, I usually set mine to discharge down to 0.9 volts per cell or 5.4 volts for a 6 cell nimh battery. I normally discharge at a rate of between 8 - 10 amps. You will also want to let your batteries cool down between cycles, and after you use the battery I would let it cool down before you discharge it and charge it back up, At least thats how charge and discharge my own batteries.

Charlie,

You don't cycle your new batteries?

I have the same Hyperion EOS0606i charger and when I get new batteries I usually do 2 cycles of discharge (0.5)/charge (4). For me it seems to wake up the batteries and get their full capacity.

-Michael