a720 big bores a lil help needed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokeitagain

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I've had these shocks for a couple months and after a couple last sessions before the rebuild of the truck I look the shocks off and checked them out. Here's how they look.

IMG_20110314_150426.jpg

The outer two were the rears. My issue is the stock ones never had this issue, then the 150 dollar TiNi coated aluminum set does this in a few months time. As for the shafts whatever ill just have to buy new ones, but the seals in the small caps the shock shaft goes through have failed and the shocks will not hold oil. After contacting hpi and explaining the shocks have a TON of play in the seal causing them to shift when a load is put on them and stress the shaft, therefor causing the bend, I'm told too bad so sad by hpi. As for the shaft like I said I can suck it up and buy new ones.

What gets me is after contacting the local hobbytown before contacting hpi about it they inform me the a720 shocks have a lifetime warranty. So while I'm at the shop they call hpi looking for replacement parts and hpi says there are no rebuild kits or replacement parts for these aside from the shafts so send pics of bad parts and well send you new ones under the warranty both shafts and caps.

I say cool run home send in the pics and hpis customer support guys tell me this is abnormal wear an tear, therefore they will not replace them. I then ask if I can at least get new caps since there are no alternatives for rebuild. He then tells me no you can rebuild all their shocks he knows for a fact. So I ask him for the part number so I can replace them. His response (at 430 pst they close at 515 pst) is no we closed 5 minutes ago and I can't access that info and I'm going into overtime as well so you'll have to call back. After talking some more the guy is still arguing with me that the one piece cap can be dissassembled and the seals can be replaced but he can't find the part numbers or the exploded view until tomorrow. After further research on my own, and showing the cap to the guys at the hobby shop we can't even see a line where they come apart and can't find new caps. Therefore the conclusion is because the cap seals failed and hpi won't send new ones I have to just replace all the shocks in their entirety.

So what do you guys say?. Has anyone had these shocks and if so how have they held up? Is there some sort of way to replace the seals or rebuild them? Also why does one guy say there are no parts available so we have to cover them under warranty but another guy gives me that bs response?

I guess ill just call back tomorrow and see what happens, ill let ya know. If I do have to buy all new ones though does anyone think the lst shock conversion may be worth it for the little bit extra?

Btw this is the cap (all four are leaking)

IMG_20110314_150523.jpg

To give you an idea with 10 weight oil in the shock after a 30 minute run 2 of the shocks were half empty and oil is only leaking out of that area so the seals are definitly done. These are the caps I can't find any sort of replacement or seals rebuild kit for.

okay so final decision by the same guy i talked to is "well it looks like after talking to the guys here half say they can be rebuilt, half say they can't. the guys who say you can rebuild them though say there are no parts available so looks like we're gonna have to send you all new caps for free. you should see them by the end of the week, however you will still have to purchase the shafts separately. you should see them by the end of the week."

so I'm glad they're sending the caps. like i said the shafts not being covered i saw coming but was still hoping as i don't want to replace 40 dollars worth of shafts lol. so theyre on the way. anyone else had one of these guys be so unsure though? makes me kind of wonder about them.

Well it looks like you broke it again! :hehe: I'm suprised that HPI gave you such a hard time. If you were to buy another set of shocks just go with stock, they are cheaper to replace when they break.