A must have for RC bodywork

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharliesTheMan

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I ran across a new piece of equipment in an article in the August 2008 issue of RC Driver. It's a vinyl cutter/plotter that appear to be VERY nice, and it's also inexpensive, so just about anyone could afford it. Not only can you print and cut vinyl and decals right from the machine, but you can take any image thats been printed from a regular inkjet printer, run it through the machine, and the machine will detect the image, cut it out with precision, and even make it into a sticker if you want. You can even run pictures through the machine and it will cut them out and make them into a sticker.

This is a serious breakthrough for someone like me that really likes bodywork and painting, but doesn't have the artistic ability to freehand intricate detail work into the paint. With this, you can make masks for just about anything, and you can save and recreate your original art work with the click of a mouse. It also has a ball point pen adapter so that it's easy to transform into a simple plotter.

And now for the best part, the printer/plotter/cutter is only $339. I will be laying down some sicks paint jobs (for Charlie, nothing like some of the paint gurus though) by the end of the summer, using my new airbrush and vinyl cutter. Also, think of the income that you could make, while helping your friends by supplying them with their very own custom decals. I know that with my last two paintjobs that I had professionally done, I had some ideas that I wanted to do, but I couldn't because we didn't have access to a vinyl cutter for the intricate detail work, and I didn't want to wait for someone else to ship them and all that. With this, even if I have it done by a professional, I can send the masks and have them done exactly how I want them.

Here's the link. When you go to the page, click on the details section for the Craft Robo cutting plotter in the top right corner.
http://oocrcracing.com/

I have been wanting a vinyl cutter for a long time now. Make my own masks, decals, whatever. It could really take my painting to the next level.

I have been eyeballing cutters for a while. The reality is they aren't cheap. Even the Stika 8-inch will set you back a couple hundred. And that's the smallest I've seen. Right now I don't make enough on my painting to reinvest that much so I still have to freehand...

Good eye Charlie!

I got that issue a couple weeks ago and I put that link in my favs as soon as I saw the article :thumbup: Free shipping too! I'll definitly be hoping for this on Dec. 25th :D

I don't know Jeff, I really think something like this can take your painting to the next level just as Joe stated. It could certainly speed things up but more importantly in my mind it allows you to REALLY step up the level of apparent difficulty.

Good eye Charlie!

I got that issue a couple weeks ago and I put that link in my favs as soon as I saw the article :thumbup: Free shipping too! I'll definitly be hoping for this on Dec. 25th :D

I don't know Jeff, I really think something like this can take your painting to the next level just as Joe stated. It could certainly speed things up but more importantly in my mind it allows you to REALLY step up the level of apparent difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, Josh. I'm totally wanting one. I have like a billion cool ideas that one could help me with. I'm just hard pressed for that investment right now. Even my fiancee has been trying to score me one because she knows how much it would help. Maybe for my paint sessions this winter.

I hear ya Jeff. I think it's a fair price but still a pretty good investment. I would love to have one but I'm not sure that I would be able to use it enough to justify the cost. Wait.. I dont' use any of my r/c's enoug to justify the cost.. Ok, so that excuse doesn't pan out for me. hehe. The biggest thing that might keep me from getting one is that it's a few hundred dollars I could put towards a 1/4 scale stocker (something I REALLY REALLY want).

that is a great little unit I picked one up a few weeks ago and so far it works great did a few test cuts with it everything worked out great.
it's a bit of an investment but then again so is a good radio.
With a little imagination you can even make your own vinyl wraps for your charges and your radios as well as stickers for your cars as well as the rest of your gear all the instructions come with the unit on how to make the stickers.

even comes with sample sheets to get you started right away.

STOP!! STOP!! STOP!!

All these positive reviews are going to force me to buy one. Damn you all!!!

Pssssssstttt.......
How about a limited lottery with $20 tickets? I know there are quite a few of us who would want one.

Just ordered mine! If I like this one, I think I'm gonna buy the pro one later.. Figured Id check out the smaller one 1st. can't wait to get it!

I ordered mine on the 1st of July and still havnt seen it.. I'm gonna give it a couple more days and if it doesn't show up, I'm filing a claim with paypal.
Anyone else order one of these and have any problems??

Yeah I called them last thursday (Sounded like I called a dudes apt. or something. Screaming kids in the back ground, tv on) and he told me to expect it the next day or Sat. Now today when I called him, he told me it was in a town near by me, so it should be here tomorrow for sure. So I guess we'll see. I dont mean to be impatient but youd think that it would have been here in 2 weeks.
I told him flat out that I didnt think this was to cool, and that if I have to order supplies from him, I dont want to have to wait 2 weeks and change to get it. Also question him on why I paid on the morning of the 1 (Early am.. Like 1-2am) that it wasn't shipped until the 6th? He didnt say anything and just told me itd be here tomorrow..

I guess we'll see.

Sounds like he's backed up. Since he knew specifically where it was he must have good tracking on it, like UPS. If he shipped it to you on Mon. the 7th, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for you not to get it untill Wednesday or even Thursday if it's coming from a long distance away. UPS ground is kind of slow when it comes to long distances. How far is it travelling?

It came Usps. It was shipped the absolute slowest route ya could (2-9 business days). I got it today. Havnt had to much time to mess with it, but looks like a pretty neat little unit. I'm excited to try it out. Just gotta go find some more Vinyl paper. It only came with 1 sheet. Ill be sure to let ya guys know how I like it.

Will do. Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells this decal paper? I've been able to find the paper alone, but not the paper that needs the clear covering over it like the ones this unit uses.

Back