A little rant, if you will.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We only race dirt in upstate N.Y. I have been to the NASCAR races at Pocono, as well as NHRA at E-town, but thats about it.
It takes balls to go out and drive those dirt tracks like you guys do. I have watched a lot of modified races where cars were climbing on top of each other and rolling over, going off the embankment of the track, etc. It's a lot of fun to watch. I'd probably have been crazy enough to do it if I had a ride back in the day. But Outlaw sprints, not sure I would ever run those.

I run stock Traxxas stuff all day. So don't know what your talking about. poop I have had my X for over six months and it's still completely stock. Still haven't broke a arm yet. Or smokes the esc or a diff. It's all about the way you drive and maintain your stuff man. And there no F-ing way I would get a full aluminum kit for any rc that's just dumb to spend that $$ on something that will break
I say that about Traxxas simply because i constantly see people talking about how they bought a new Traxxas, and within a few weeks have replaced half or more of it with, in their words, "needed" aftermarket parts. I have been hearing that line going back years, to when i did still race RC stuff. I have an Arrma Fury, a Racers Edge Pro2 and its sister, the Team C TS2, and not one of those have even one aftermarket part, and i have been racing and bashing them since they were new in 2011.

Due to mine and my brothers agreement (body and paint on the SS is all him, and on the mod its all me) i have a feeling the SS wont be my dads colors anymore next year. This year was horrid for both cars though. Blew 5 engines in the SS, and 3 in the mod, so we sat out the last 3 races with both cars this year.
Wow, that seems like a lot of blown engines in one year. Is that common or just a really bad year?

It takes balls to go out and drive those dirt tracks like you guys do. I have watched a lot of modified races where cars were climbing on top of each other and rolling over, going off the embankment of the track, etc. It's a lot of fun to watch. I'd probably have been crazy enough to do it if I had a ride back in the day. But Outlaw sprints, not sure I would ever run those.
For the cars we run, its actually not that bad, but, most of that is due to the safety equipment. Now, the winged (sprint) cars, those guys have to be certifiably insane. We had the winged cars at Woodhull last year, and one went over the back stretch fence, and one went through the turn 3 and 4 fence. The guy who went over the fence wanted to get his back up car and keep racing.

Wow, that seems like a lot of blown engines in one year. Is that common or just a really bad year?
A really bad year, due to a combination of factors. One, my brother can be impatient at times, and sometimes overlooks simple things, like a small crack in the mod's heads. Another is my impatience to keep them running, and, due to a shortage of certain parts, mixing and matching just to keep them running. The worst this season does fall to my brother though, who ran mismatched heads on the SS, and couldnt figure out why it had no power. My worst was a totally wrong setup on the rear of the mod that made it nearly impossible to drive for about 3 weeks. Typically, we might do two engine swaps or rebuilds a year on the SS, and, since the mod is a crate motor, might only get a gasket swap mid season, not counting the routine spark plug and oil changes.

For the cars we run, its actually not that bad, but, most of that is due to the safety equipment. Now, the winged (sprint) cars, those guys have to be certifiably insane. We had the winged cars at Woodhull last year, and one went over the back stretch fence, and one went through the turn 3 and 4 fence. The guy who went over the fence wanted to get his back up car and keep racing.
My buddy was scared to drive the Outlaw cars. His dad would call him all kinds of girly names in the pits trying to get him on the gas. But he wouldn't do it. Then his dad told him he was yellow and he went out and intentionally blew the engine. I was standing next to his dad when he did it. He said "he's trying to blow it up now" then 5 seconds later POOF! His dad told him afterwards, at least you were keeping up with the pack finally 😝 There were a few guys that ran the Outlaw class that were fearless, and I wouldn't have wanted to be on the track with them any more than he did. They were just nuts.

Bottom line of any hobby is enjoyment, if you don't get that, it's just work no matter how much it costs. Enjoy your hobby the way YOU want to, no need to impress others.
Tell some of the guys we race with that. There are a few that get into hoping to get rich, and do nothing but bitch and complain when they dont. My family has been racing since the 1950's, so we get it, but a lot dont. Some of us have made it big (i am related to the Bodine's by marriage), but most of us havent, and for us, we are perfectly ok with that. Like my dad used to say, if you are racing on dirt to make money, you are definitely doing it wrong.

Tell some of the guys we race with that. There are a few that get into hoping to get rich, and do nothing but bitch and complain when they dont. My family has been racing since the 1950's, so we get it, but a lot dont. Some of us have made it big (i am related to the Bodine's by marriage), but most of us havent, and for us, we are perfectly ok with that. Like my dad used to say, if you are racing on dirt to make money, you are definitely doing it wrong.
Ever heard of Joe Liguori? He is one of those nutty sprint drivers that races all over the country. Hell of a guy. I used to work with him in a couple different race shops.

My buddy was scared to drive the Outlaw cars. His dad would call him all kinds of girly names in the pits trying to get him on the gas. But he wouldn't do it. Then his dad told him he was yellow and he went out and intentionally blew the engine. I was standing next to his dad when he did it. He said "he's trying to blow it up now" then 5 seconds later POOF! His dad told him afterwards, at least you were keeping up with the pack finally 😝 There were a few guys that ran the Outlaw class that were fearless, and I wouldn't have wanted to be on the track with them any more than he did. They were just nuts.
Its not hard to blow up a mod or a winged/outlaw car. Just dont put it in high gear, and stand on the gas. The motor will over rev, and boom. Dont ask me how i know that LOL.
Ever heard of Joe Liguori? He is one of those nutty sprint drivers that races all over the country. Hell of a guy. I used to work with him in a couple different race shops.
The name sounds familiar, but, i know so many drivers, its hard to keep up with all of them. I will have to ask TJ (Petrobowski), and see what he says, but, i agree, anyone who drives a car that can go that fast on a small dirt track has to be nuts, or, at the very least, needs their head examined lol. I tell a few guys i know that have them that quite often, because I'm always getting asked when I'm gonna build a winged car. My answer is always, I'm not that crazy, so that would be, uuuummmm , never.

This is Joe. If you ever met him, chances are you would remember him. He's a character.
Screenshot_20211023-172320_Chrome.jpg

This is Joe. If you ever met him, chances are you would remember him. He's a character.
I just looked him up on FB. I know who he is now. The issue with me is that i dont pay as much attention to the drivers as i do the cars, and i have seen the #13 sunshine car a couple times at local tracks. The winged cars were at Canandaiqua a couple years ago, and my all time favorite drivers, Sammy Swindell and Steve Kinser, walked past me, and i had no clue who they were until my brother pointed it out. A guy i had raced with for years, TJ Petrobowski, i hadnt seen except sporadically the last few years, i ran into at the gas station and it took me a solid 5 minutes before i realized who he was, and he lives 10 minutes from me.

Steve Kinser is a badass. I have seen him run a number of times. Here in Terre Haute when the World of Outlaws came through, he was always way out front of the pack.

I say that about Traxxas simply because i constantly see people talking about how they bought a new Traxxas, and within a few weeks have replaced half or more of it with, in their words, "needed" aftermarket parts. I have been hearing that line going back years, to when i did still race RC stuff. I have an Arrma Fury, a Racers Edge Pro2 and its sister, the Team C TS2, and not one of those have even one aftermarket part, and i have been racing and bashing them since they were new in 2011.
I'm not sure I get what your saying.. you never broke or had to buy new parts ever? Because sorry that's BS.. all these RC cars are made with some sort of plastic. And will need some sort of aftermarket part.. any part bought after the stock part breaks or burns up is aftermarket. Upgraded parts well that's a upgrade. So how can you say anything about traxxas. Because you heard something from someone.. well that's not a opinion that's what you heard... shouldn't listen or follow other people man. Most of the time they are blowing smoke up your ass...didnyou ask them why they say that whats the issue. And it's not because of plastic.. that's like all these idiots running around saying the diff on the X suck. No not at all haven't had a problem. If your going to buy a RTR you got to check the whole truck out the box.. nothing comes RTR ever. And this stupid auto flip is the worst thing to put on rc. First it's been done for yrs way before traxxas put it into the models. All it is.... full forward then full reverse.. that's it. Can be done with any electric RC.. but when you don't know how to do it. And think a button will do it for you. And sit there and hold that button.. well guess what. You get blown diffs.. every time... the traxxas electronics suck by far always have. But the RCs them sleeves are made just fine... I have never had a problem with them at all...

Aftermarket is parts made by other manufacturers besides the original manufacturer whether upgrades or not. OEM are stock replacements.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get what your saying.. you never broke or had to buy new parts ever? Because sorry that's BS.. all these RC cars are made with some sort of plastic. And will need some sort of aftermarket part.. any part bought after the stock part breaks or burns up is aftermarket. Upgraded parts well that's a upgrade. So how can you say anything about traxxas. Because you heard something from someone.. well that's not a opinion that's what you heard... shouldn't listen or follow other people man. Most of the time they are blowing smoke up your ass...didnyou ask them why they say that whats the issue. And it's not because of plastic.. that's like all these idiots running around saying the diff on the X suck. No not at all haven't had a problem. If your going to buy a RTR you got to check the whole truck out the box.. nothing comes RTR ever. And this stupid auto flip is the worst thing to put on rc. First it's been done for yrs way before traxxas put it into the models. All it is.... full forward then full reverse.. that's it. Can be done with any electric RC.. but when you don't know how to do it. And think a button will do it for you. And sit there and hold that button.. well guess what. You get blown diffs.. every time... the traxxas electronics suck by far always have. But the RCs them sleeves are made just fine... I have never had a problem with them at all...
Now i see where the issue lies with this. Aftermarket means buying something from someone other than the manufacturer. If you get it from the company that made the vehicle, it is just a stock replacement part, not aftermarket. As for the Traxxas comments, find me one person who doesn't feel it is necessary to buy RPM (or other non Traxxas) parts, because the stock Traxxas parts arent adequate for the job. For my vehicles, when i do break something, i simply buy stock replacement parts. I'm not saying i have never broke anything, but, typically my breakages come from doing something with a vehicle it wasn't designed for, like head on into a pile of snow trying to jump said pile (thats how i blew the front bulkhead on both my Losi 22S and my Arrma Fury).

All it is.... full forward then full reverse.. that's it. Can be done with any electric RC
Actually, not all RC's will do this, as most have a delay between forward and reverse, and, on a lot of them, you actually have to slide the throttle towards reverse twice before it will go into reverse, since, typically, if you are going forward and then try to go into reverse, the first time you go towards reverse on the radio, it just applies the brakes.

But that part of the fun of the internet. You get to judge and belittle people you don't even know so you can feel better about yourself.
Everyone can be an expert about anything.
Armchair warriors

Steve Kinser is a badass. I have seen him run a number of times. Here in Terre Haute when the World of Outlaws came through, he was always way out front of the pack.
The first time i saw him race live was at Terre Haute, years ago. When they would come to Canandaigua N.Y. (Land Of Legends speedway), i got to talk to him a few times. He was a trip at times. You said, when they came through there. They dont run there anymore? The only racing i watch on TV anymore is off and on when the SST trucks are in Australia, since when its summer there, its winter here. Anymore, between our cars, helping others with their cars, and her odd work schedule, i barely have time to do any kind of TV watching.

Love the g body. My buddy used to have an 87 ss. 427, turbo 400, grand national rear with the 4.11, and acura interior. I always wanted one.

Back