3.0 vs 8.0

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MudSlinger33

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Looking to buy my first MGT. Wondering what you guys prefer, the 3.0 or the 8.0. I was leaning towards the smaller 1/10 scale 3.0 and I am wondering how it compares (durability) to the 1/8 scale rig.

I would get the 8.0, sell the engine, and replace it with an lrp.

I've got the 4.6 and love the rig. The diffs are a weaker aspect of it as I've replaced several of them but outside of that I consider it bulletproof. From what I've read 2 revo has a point as I guess the 8.0 motor is junk. The 4.6 and 8.0 share the same chassis and components so I would lean towards the fullsize instead of the mini as theres more aftermarket available.

I'm not so sure about the 8.0 being junk, but it's a pig, and the lrp .32 would kill it.

I havent owned 1 but have seen a few run. For the displacement it performs quite poorly. When dealing with a bigblock that....well....big I expect more power and torque than I've seen them produce. Not impressive by anymeans. Now the LRP or even the Bigred which doesn't even have similar displacement to the 8.0 you start to talk about a true MT with a big power curve and performance galore.

I have been looking around and have also noticed that the 3.0 has very little aftermarket support. Looks like I will begin searching for a 4.6 or 8.0, and maybe some extra diffs. ;)

My biggest problem with the diff is that I keep my slipper locked for constant wheelies :). If you back off the slippr a bit they will probably last you a while

Back