2.5 Engine problems!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok so, As most of you know I have a t-maxx 2.5 and it had some previous "clicking" issues, which we agreed were from the diff, which i replaced both of the diff's and i'm pretty sure the problem is gone, but now its the main problem that i've been having but haven't wanted to face.. my engine. So I can turn it on no problem what-so-ever and it runs, but only for a little while, when I turn it on I have to hit the gas and I can't let it idle because if I let it idle, It cuts off on me. The idling problem is one of the problems, the other is that I can run the truck and it runs fine but it will only run for a short moment (about 1 min. maybe less) and then it cuts off by itself. I'm clueless on what it could be :( Hopefully the pros on RCnitroTalk can help!! :D

EDIT: Also sometimes when it cuts off, it might not crank back, so I let it sit for about 10 mins then it cranks again, and By the way I can never get the temps very high on the fact that I can't run it for long at all, I get temps to about 170 (max) and that's it, I can't get it higher, I'm pretty sure I'm running not too rich and not too lean but not completely sure! Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:
Austin, it sounds way lean. Have you checked the needle settings? 4 turns out on the main is WAY rich, give it a try. I run mine about 3.75 turns out. Idle screw screwy? Should be flush with the inner step on the slide.

To tell the truth bro, I can't tell you a thing about where the truck is at on the needle settings, lately I've been putting it richer and richer but I just wasn't really seeing any results so I quit that, and i never got it that rich anyway, at least I really don't think. I've had the truck since '03, and I had it in storage 2-3 years and I brought it out and fixed it up realllll nice, but It just refuses to run right, I'm also messing with the idle screw here and there, I'll try making it alot richer tomorrow and let you know how it goes, Thanks for the help, appreciate it alot :)

It may benifit you greatly to take the carb apart and soak/clean it really well. When they sit that long, the oil in the fuel remains on the parts and creates a really sticky coating that can clog the needles and whatnot.

Just sounds like your fighting a clogged carb.

Your fuel tank may also be a bit clogged up. The stone filter in it does the same thing as the carb if it sits that long. Try letting DA set in the tank for an hour or so with the stone filter completely submerged. Then install a long piece of fuel line on the line to the carb and blow/suck on it (I know... keep laughter to a minimum) so as to work the gel out of the stone filter.

Either a clogged needle or filter will cause it to be permanently lean regardless how "rich" your setting the needles.

ok olds, I'll see about doing that, and by the way, what's DA? and by the way, Counter-clockwise is richer right?

DA = Denatured Alcohol - can be found at hardware stores near paint thinner and mineral spirits. Relatively cheap, but doesn't have water in it like rubbing alcohol which can cause rust.

You can get little spray bottles at walmart in the toothbrush/soap area. That's what I use since the can DA comes in is an awkward can to use for anything.

Correct, CCW = richer

out of my luck it would be the piston cause if the balance is off of a good piston that will do it to check the piston and see if its cracked or brock at the bottom if it is replace it and it will run fine

well how the hell do I GET to the piston?

Take the head off. Don't even worry about that. Very unlikely to be the problem. Clean everything real good as stated above and if that don't work, check for air leaks. Be sure and use fresh fuel.

Well I just broke my carb, lol, so I'm simply buying a new one and that should solve my problem right? or do I still need to soak the fuel tank in DA?

Well, start by installing the new carb. Set it according to your factory specs and adjust it from there. Let us know what it's doing, along the way, so we can offer you the right advise.
The carb might be your only problem, but just to be on the safe side, clean out your filter so nothing else reaches the needles.

Alright, So just fill the gas tank about half full with DA, let it sit for an hour, then do what?

add a pretty good length of fuel line to the bottom connection and suck some DA through the stone, and blow it back into the tank. Just keep doing that till you know it's been rinsed out thoroughly. Don't get it in your mouth, and make sure you blow the last shot into the tank. If the DA actually LOOKS dirty, do it again.

alright, I'm ordering some new fuel line also so that should work out nicely, thanks =]

to get to the piston take the backplate off and look up into the engine but ony do that if the new carb doesn't work ok