1:30 scale fiberglass hull PT boat scratch build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utmustang05

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all thanks for letting me join.
I am going to finish a PT boat that my father started after he moved in with my wife and I. Unfortunately he passed away before getting very far on it and I would like to finish it in his honor. All I have is a completed fiberglass hull that is 30" long. I would like to put 3 motors in it and my biggest question right now is what RPM motors should i go with?

Sorry for your loss! I think this would be a great way to honor his memory. Looking forward to this build thread.

Oh, welcome to RCNT!

Wasn't the PT boats like a jet ski and they used jets instead of props?

Is this a kit? Or is it a scratch build?

Welcome in @utmustang05 , sorry for your loss and sounds like an awesome way to honor his memory.

pt where shaft driven props... 3 motor will be a challenge to get then to work like the pt's did.. rpm does that mean what we use as kv.rpms per volt.. your power supply batteries or battery will determine that.. a pic to prove my statement.
PT Boat Drawings - Bing

Sounds like a cool project. I won't be much use to you, but really looking forward to your progress. I think your Father would be pleased. :thumbs-up:

pt where shaft driven props... 3 motor will be a challenge to get then to work like the pt's did.. rpm does that mean what we use as kv.rpms per volt.. your power supply batteries or battery will determine that.. a pic to prove my statement.
PT Boat Drawings - Bing
Not up on the military vessels much, but which one was it that was used in Vietnam that had the jets instead of props for running in the rivers over there? Jeremy Clarkson had one custom built to original specs in one of the Grand Tour episodes, and while the other guys were busy untangling fishing nets from their props, he was scooting through things just fine. Until he hit a patch of weeds anyway :D

Wasn't the PT boats like a jet ski and they used jets instead of props?

Is this a kit? Or is it a scratch build?
The WWII patrol torpedo boats had 3 V12 Packard motors that drove 3 under hull props. You may be thinking of the river patrol boats of the Vietnam era, they did use jets. This is a scratch build. My father has made several scratch builds including a 1:24 sail boat and a river paddle boat. All he completed of the PT boat before passing was the hull in fiberglass.
Sorry for your loss! I think this would be a great way to honor his memory. Looking forward to this build thread.

Oh, welcome to RCNT!
Thank you and I will post progress.
PT Boat Drawings - Bing
Thank you for the info. What I meant to say is what rpm output of the motor. I understand it depends on the input voltage but what I am not sure of is whether I should use a high rpm output ie: 40000 to 50000 rpm or around 10000 rpm.

Last edited:
Sounds like a cool project. I won't be much use to you, but really looking forward to your progress. I think your Father would be pleased. :thumbs-up:
Thank you
Not up on the military vessels much, but which one was it that was used in Vietnam that had the jets instead of props for running in the rivers over there? Jeremy Clarkson had one custom built to original specs in one of the Grand Tour episodes, and while the other guys were busy untangling fishing nets from their props, he was scooting through things just fine. Until he hit a patch of weeds anyway :D
I don’t know what their official name was but Ih ave always known them by RiverPatrol Boat. If all goes well with this one I am thinking of building a river boat.
Welcome in @utmustang05 , sorry for your loss and sounds like an awesome way to honor his memory.
Thank you