nitro rock crawler can it be done,i want to try

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even if it does work I think it would suck! A nitro screaming at full rpm sounds great but to hear it try to creep around would make me want to shoot it.

Even if it does work I think it would suck! A nitro screaming at full rpm sounds great but to hear it try to creep around would make me want to shoot it.

exactly my opinion!!! and maybe not in this guys case but i know alot of places i crawl are not gonna be freindly to the noise of a nitro running all the time.

Last edited:
i have been pondering the idea of building a scale nitro truck my lhs has a lil nitro motor i was gona use

well i mite big build a big sucker first right, then build it smaller,
big as in full size ATV first then bring down in size, or is that a dumb idea
too??????????

If you were to use something like an airplane control, one stick to run the throtle the other to run a pressure plate type clutch...

I've been tossing around the idea of using a heli radio, you can use the mixing to operate the clutch in union with the throttle.Just as you do rpm & collective. You can also use the another channel for reverse(instantly) Just as you do for inverted flight. I just havn't gotten past a clutch design. And I also wanted to use a water cooled 4 stroke. I'm sure it can be done,it's just a matter of R & D which equals CASH!!! LOL!

the problem is the clutch, i wonder if you could machine and make some sort of scale tourqe converter. on automatic cars theres a big case thing with 2 impeller things in it, one is drived by the engine and the other is connected to the transmission, and it is filled with oil.

Take a 4 stroke motor and centrifugal clutch like on a go-cart with some rubber belts hooked to a shaft to drive the axles
nitrocrawler.gif

i want to try this now lol my dad work's at a steel/machine shop so i have ton's of macinery i can use...if i tryed it i think i would start it of of somthing like a revo chassi or somthing like that..right now i'm trying to figure out a clutch design..i'll post a pick of a clutch design i think will work after or tomorrow..

no offense man, but if you are gonna put all that time and effort into trying to make a nitro powered crawler why wouldnt you start off with a crawler chassis/roller???

no offense man, but if you are gonna put all that time and effort into trying to make a nitro powered crawler why wouldnt you start off with a crawler chassis/roller???

i thought about that but i think(this makes scence to me anyway) there isn't much room on a crawler chassis for the engine, and servo for the gas/brake and a reverse servo so i figured that if i take a chassis that is designed for all of that that it would probobly take away a lot of work to try and get all of that on a tiny lil chassis...JMO

i thought about that but i think(this makes scence to me anyway) there isn't much room on a crawler chassis for the engine, and servo for the gas/brake and a reverse servo so i figured that if i take a chassis that is designed for all of that that it would probobly take away a lot of work to try and get all of that on a tiny lil chassis...JMO

I'm guessing you didnt read my post i posted a few pages back

its a crawler chassic and he posted videos
http://rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=140650&highlight=nitro+crawler

If it were me, I'd do it with an existing chassis that give you alot of options as far as mounting cross-members in which to mount things like your engine, tranny, servos and fuel tank

Something like this...
http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=flm71500&cat=31

after i posted last i thought about it and started looking at thing's like THIS...if i used somthing like that i would build myown but i think that is a good example...i think somthing like that would give me lots of room to mount everything up

edit: if i did it i would do it more like THIS though

Last edited:
I was going to post the same link that rollinlow posted. There is alot of R&D already done with the setup he posted. If I was doing it I'd start with something along those lines. Only thing I could see wrong is being able to fine tune the throttle control. Having the radio control the clutch would be great, If you could use a bearing mounted on a servo arm to press the pressure plate against the flywheel that way the servo arm didn't cause friction against the clutch and would still allow it to spin.

I was going to post the same link that rollinlow posted. There is alot of R&D already done with the setup he posted. If I was doing it I'd start with something along those lines. Only thing I could see wrong is being able to fine tune the throttle control. Having the radio control the clutch would be great, If you could use a bearing mounted on a servo arm to press the pressure plate against the flywheel that way the servo arm didn't cause friction against the clutch and would still allow it to spin.

i don't think that would be that hard actually but it's 1:45 here and i'm to tired to think about it lol.....but i think i've made up my mind that i want to try it so by the end of the weekend you guy's should see some pics of a custom 1 of a kind "austin mcwilliam" chassis lol....and NO this is NOT one of those qaart "i'll get pics" things...i just need to go and get some steel rod so i can start the chassis...what size do you guys thing would be best??

i don't think that would be that hard actually but it's 1:45 here and i'm to tired to think about it lol.....but i think i've made up my mind that i want to try it so by the end of the weekend you guy's should see some pics of a custom 1 of a kind "austin mcwilliam" chassis lol....and NO this is NOT one of those qaart "i'll get pics" things...i just need to go and get some steel rod so i can start the chassis...what size do you guys thing would be best??

Probably 1/8 to 3/16 steel rod or even some brake tubing, if you could find it I think some aluminum rod or tubing would be the the coolest, IMO!!!! good luck with the project we will be waiting for the pics....:D

Probably 1/8 to 3/16 steel rod or even some brake tubing, if you could find it I think some aluminum rod or tubing would be the the coolest, IMO!!!! good luck with the project we will be waiting for the pics....:D

ok thanks....and you guys WILL get pics give me till about the end of the weekend.

Back