nitro rock crawler can it be done,i want to try

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADVK253

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
ok i have a few mates that think its a great idea, others think its a waste of time and money, i would like some positive input not negitive, i have alot of
idea's but I'm trying to build something a person could try and build by them self. ok so i have a few idea's like, water cooled boat motor with a radiator
form a computer (water cooled cpu setup) or a heat exchange. the roll back
problem could be solved by a worm drive(hardend steel one). but i would like
it to have solid axel as in diff, and shaft drive. so please positive input would be great thanks :D (i know its in the wrong forom part sorry my bad)

This would be a big overhaul,,,,, I not sure it can even be done...

It all depends on how handy you are and your ability to fabricate parts.

nitro rock crawler can it be done,i want to try

Nope. Engine would overheat. Unless you find someway to set it up that the engine doesn't overheat, and you dont burn the clutch out every time you run.

There's an article in XRC about a similar project but with a 4 stroke OS motor. I'll see if I can find it on there page.

There's an article in XRC about a similar project but with a 4 stroke OS motor. I'll see if I can find it on there page.

Well isn't that a brilliant idea. I wish I would have thought about that. *biggest eyeroll you've ever seen*

Yeah, great isn't it! I did some searching on the web but couldn't find the ariticle. I'm thinking about crawling myself but will stick to electric. Nitro engines sound fast so they should go fast. JMO I will say that if you've got the money for mills and the patience to build a nitro crawler then more power to you. If you can dream it, you can do it!

I agree. Ingenuity is what made this country great. It'll happen, will just take some time and the right person to help push it along.

well the overheating problem could be solved by a heat exchange or a watercooling setup which I'm think on how to fab, reduction box could help
with minimizing clutch burn up, and worm gear to stop roll back......but
I'm also thinking gutting the maxx and using that as a starting plate then moving
on to maybe a GV rampage or something with shaft drive....

You see your problem is not an overheating issue but a clutch issue. Overheating is very easy to fix with either fans or water cooled. Your clutch however, when crawling, would be over worked and would burn out very quickly. Too much consent stress on the clutch shoes and they would have a very poor grip. So untill you invent a new clutch, a nitro crawler is pretty useless. JMO. Stick with whats been done and proven. There's obviously a reason that a Nitro crawler hasn't been made, nor will it ever. Electric and crawling is like a fat boy and cake, they are just meant to be together.

ok i had an idea just then wot about a torque converter.....how id make it
i dont know or a slipper clutch with weights so as the rpm's climb the
weights move causing the slipper to slip less and less, it would be like the
powervalve system in my rm but that uses ball bearing as weights.

Well isn't that a brilliant idea. I wish I would have thought about that. *biggest eyeroll you've ever seen*

you can't see me but I'm giving you a standing ovation!!!!!

sure you can make a nitro crawler, plenty people have...if you want to spend the time and money to try to make it any where near as capable of a crawler as even a stock axial then more power to ya!

you can't see me but I'm giving you a standing ovation!!!!!

you've read me wrong. We don't really agree on this topic. I was rolling my eyes because I've been preaching a 4-stroke in a nitro crawler for quite some time now. 2 reasons... torque and consistant idle. IMO a nitro crawler needs a clutch that works as a combination of a tranmission and 1:1 type clutch. So when you pull back on the trigger you are opening the carb and also engaging the clutch to the forward side of the tranny, but when you push the trigger out you also open the carb but engage the clutch to the reverse side of the transmission. Then the closer the trigger is to neutral the more the drag brake engages. However, theory is easy. making is happen is quite a bit more difficult. It's too bad I don't have the capital to head this endeavor because I could make it happen and happen well.

we definatly do agree on this topic to a point, i think it can be done, i know it can be done, it has been done and your theory seems dead on......but i dont see how it would be worth it to spend the time and money to make one, thats my only argument to the dumb, i mean, to the idea. it is gonna have to be so finely tuned to do anything even close to an electric crawler that it seems point less to me....my opinion...

It would just be a different discipline that's all. It falls into "whatever floats your boat". Some people love Nascar and hate F1, others love road racing and hate Nascar. Some has respect and admiration for both. Every discipline of every sport has it's own set of challenges and that's what makes them entertaining.

well stated man....if this guy wants to give it a try more power to him and i wish him luck...

if you want to do it BadVk253, heres a video of a nitro crawler to inspire you....
[ame]http://s491.photobucket.com/albums/rr272/littleskull99/?action=view&current=MVI_1166.flv[/ame]

Yeah man, I mean, if you think you can do it, I'm sure you can. Try it, it may work, it may not, but at least you tried!

I think it could be done as well, just how well it will work is another story, but I think a couple of your biggest issues will be over heating which has already been stated, having enough torque for low speed drive ability, and the ability to have it go from forward to reverse instantly which is often used when crawling.

Back