Your RC Cars NOT Covered by Home Insurance!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keenlyside

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am going through a very unsettling experience where I have just determined my home insurance company specifically excludes our RC cars from coverage! Any RC vehicle powered by over 12Vdc or capable of speeds over 10 mph get's no coverage at all. I am stunned to say the least!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Cheers

I didn't know that was even a thing. I wonder why your company doesn't cover rc cars?...

I have known this for 15 years thats why I have purchased a special waver.

I didn't know that was even a thing. I wonder why your company doesn't cover rc cars?...
No kidding, they won't even say why just that they are excluded. Guys check your policy wording for RC or Remote Control and if you are with the same company as me look for over 10 mph or 12v as search terms. Again, I am stunned and want to make sure I get the word out.
I have known this for 15 years thats why I have purchased a special waver.
Very interesting TNT, did you get that from a separate company from your main home insurance? My company won't even offer a paid endorsement.

statefarm. owner of my branch has known me since 73.. when i purchased old cars 1:1 he would fax me insurance coverage to transport them....1.5 million in a rider then 80k on building they are house in,gotta have a few things ,gfi plug .fire extinguisher.so on

statefarm. owner of my branch has known me since 73.. when i purchased old cars 1:1 he would fax me insurance coverage to transport them....1.5 million in a rider then 80k on building they are house in,gotta have a few things ,gfi plug .fire extinguisher.so on
Ooh so is it the Lithium batteries in the RC cars they are worried about then? Curious if you ever heard why an insurance company would worry about Remote Control vehicles?

I think it's more of a specialty item, like jewelry, most jewelry over x amount needs special coverage. Pretty much standard with any large hobby or collectibles like comic books etc.

I think it's more of a specialty item, like jewelry, most jewelry over x amount needs special coverage. Pretty much standard with any large hobby or collectibles like comic books etc.
Hey Doom, ok so this policy has a section for collectibles inc. Jewelry/Stamps/Coins/Old Dolls etc. but the exclusion of RC cars doesn't show up in that section. It shows up in the section where things like lawn tractors, boats, ATV's etc. are excluded. They don't seem to realize that virtually every RC car today goes over 10mph so even if you get your kid a toy RC from Best Buy it would be excluded. Virtually every 1/10 scale RC car from Traxxas, Losi, Tamiya today would all be excluded. Seems crazy to me.

This is why I break my collection up. Some in the house, some in the shed. My thinking is only one would be hit unless a tornado or sinkhole struck. I also keep a notebook of inventory at the house, and also at work. I learned the hard way your stuck if a theft happens there too, so no more there.

@keenlyside
Did something happen to your collection that made you aware or were you just looking over a policy?

Hey Doom, ok so this policy has a section for collectibles inc. Jewelry/Stamps/Coins/Old Dolls etc. but the exclusion of RC cars doesn't show up in that section. It shows up in the section where things like lawn tractors, boats, ATV's etc. are excluded. They don't seem to realize that virtually every RC car today goes over 10mph so even if you get your kid a toy RC from Best Buy it would be excluded. Virtually every 1/10 scale RC car from Traxxas, Losi, Tamiya today would all be excluded. Seems crazy to me.
It is a bit surprising. I guess RC's need their own vehicle policy. Strange stuff.

its the liability they can cause .like injuring another or someone's property
I would honestly get that but the exclusion isn't from third party liability coverage, its's from loss so if my house was broken into and everything stolen my RC cars wouldn't be covered. Or if the house burned down from say a heating system fire and was a total loss the RC cars wouldn't be covered. It just makes no sense.

Thanks for the reminder I need to add them to my rider. We have special coverage on a couple things in our house and on my truck since it is modified as well.

I had forgotten that the RCs don't fall under the regular policy.

Thanks for the reminder I need to add them to my rider. We have special coverage on a couple things in our house and on my truck since it is modified as well.

I had forgotten that the RCs don't fall under the regular policy.
So some insurance companies just consider RC cars as regular contents, some consider them as needing a special rider/endorsement with additional premium, and some won't cover them at all even with a special rider. I hope this thread gets people thinking about this and looking at their policy wording as most of the time it isn't obvious RC's are excluded unless you really read carefully and most brokers don't seem aware of this either.

So some insurance companies just consider RC cars as regular contents, some consider them as needing a special rider/endorsement with additional premium, and some won't cover them at all even with a special rider. I hope this thread gets people thinking about this and looking at their policy wording as most of the time it isn't obvious RC's are excluded unless you really read carefully and most brokers don't seem aware of this either.

I've had "agreed value" policies on most of my cars over the years because they've been modified and insurance with modified cars can be a bit tricky without it.

I have all of my RC stuff pretty well itemized, just need to call my insurance company and have them added to my homeowners rider policy.

Looks like insurance co. know how terrible investments rc cars are....
House contents worth would be key and adjust it for your rc cars, guns, wife’s shoe collection, whatever. Make a video starting from the front door and go thru out the house every room one take.
Btw, you hurt somebody with these things it’s your dime...

I finally got around to calling my Home Owners Ins agent and he said as far as theyre concerned RC cars and trucks are just personal property and covered by my policy, even if they are 1/2 scale and running on 44.4V (12S).

Just FYI, I told him about what your insurance company told you and he suggested you get a better Ins company. 🤷‍♂️

I finally got around to calling my Home Owners Ins agent and he said as far as theyre concerned RC cars and trucks are just personal property and covered by my policy, even if they are 1/2 scale and running on 44.4V (12S).

Just FYI, I told him about what your insurance company told you and he suggested you get a better Ins company. 🤷‍♂️
No kidding! Thanks guys, really appreciate all the comments and I am going to switch companies. Hopefully this thread helps create awareness for the community to check into this and make sure they are covered.

No kidding! Thanks guys, really appreciate all the comments and I am going to switch companies. Hopefully this thread helps create awareness for the community to check into this and make sure they are covered.
Yeah, if nothing else it made me stop and realize that My wife and I have a heck of a lot more stuff now than we did 7 years ago when we bought our house so while I was on the phone with the Ins co. I went ahead and raised our coverage amount about 40k more.