Your guide to drifting!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My car is here finally and I'm building the front diff. The way I understand it, it's supposed to be tight with very little slip but not locked. Is that right? Would it be OK to just lock it?

If you lock it, it will only be good for long turns. You want something inbetween. Not too tight and not too loose. You have A TT01 right? You can use fuel tubing. I believe you put 2mm pieces on the front differential and 3mm on the rear. Lemme go recheck.

Edit:

Don't thank me, thank GD.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you feel it's not getting into those shorter turns, you can use shorter length in the front. Just make sure it's not too short that it's loose.

Awesome thread! I was about to ask about drifting and this thread answered most of my questions. what's best for drifting Nitro or Electric motor?

Last edited:
Electric, these are not for speed! I totaled my nitro chasis trying to drift with it. Just got my TT01 d built and can actually control it to a point. It's a learning process.

kool thanks charliejp, I'm torn between the HPI E10 and the Tamiya TT01D, which one is better quality?

IMO the TT01D. It is cheaper and more stable for drift. There are already lots of hop-ups for it too. The E10 is a bit shaky, such as the rattling mainshaft. But of course, we're gonna be upgrading those anyways. So go for the TT01D. It's also readier to drift.

what about tires...do you need 4 drift tires or can u just use 2 in the rear?

The Novak Slyder is a great BL set. Many people use it. Novak is a good brand.

If you only run drift tires in the rear, you will have a car that doesn't slide and has the rear swing out only.

Glad to hear it's the good way to go. Just gotta pay off the Jato first then I'll be ordering the Yokomo D1.

Make sure it's the D1MN, that's the best one.

The Novak Slyder is a great BL set. Many people use it. Novak is a good brand.

If you only run drift tires in the rear, you will have a car that doesn't slide and has the rear swing out only.

thanks...i'll pick up another set them :)

So I ordered the HPI Sprint 2 Drift Sport rolling chassis today. Almost got the Losi Drift (fully sealed belt is nice to avoid driveline damage from rocks) but decided I'd stick with HPI for now while I see how I like drifting. Will pick the HPI up Friday along with the Novak Slydr Brushless 7.5t & ESC system. I'll probably run NiMH at first to get the hang of things before putting in a 2s lipo hardpack.

We'll see how it goes. I'll post it up in the Projects forum as it gets built.

Good choice of brushless :D.

Got the D1MN yestrday along with a full ball bearing set and spring kit for the TT01. Turnbuckles and main shaft on the way! Third motor I've put in her. Learning starts all over again. I'm very impressed.

Good choices on what to get :D. Can't wait to hear more.

Back