Your favorite way to tune HSN?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lundmatt1

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
At this point I've read three differing methodologies for tuning the HSN. Which do you believe to be "better" (for me better is a good tradeoff between performance and longevity of the engine):

1 - Tune purely based on temperature. Basically if the temp is not around 220 - 250, either lean it to get it higher or richen it to get it lower.

2 - Ignore temperature. Move up the HSN an hour at a time and test each time by running it for a minute or two including all-out acceleration to open throttle. Find when the car begins to lean bog on acceleration or top speed, then move back 2 hours richer and you're done.

3 - Ignore temperature. Start with something clearly on the rich side and slowly run it more lean until the car simply doesn't accelerate and hit top speed any better. This implies you can keep getting more lean with little to no performance improvements. This is probably the hardest of the three as well because I have a hard time seeing small improvements.

On LSN I'm using the pinch trick at this point. Depending on what the engine does when pinching the fuel line near the carb, adjust more rich or lean. This seems to be a pretty universal recommendation, anyone disaggree?

I use temps as a basic reference for a starting point. From there you have to tune for the wx conditions of the day and if your running indoors or outdoors and I tune for performance. If my mill seems sluggish on top then I lean it, if it runs out of smoke before I hit the end of the straight I know it's too lean.

I use similar method to Jets in that I start with a good temp range and the tweak it for the conditions....I am a constant fiddler (can be useless and even damaging to mills) so I always have a tuning screw driver handy. But temp and smoke.....and then performance.....keeping the other two in mind....I believe you learn to hear a good tune as well.

I tune by performance. Last time I checked (months ago) my S-25 was running in the mid 290's range. Most say that's too hot, but it's been that way for 4gal + and still strong with excellent compression. IMO, you have to get experienced at listening to the engine, they have definate signs that will tell you when it's too hot.
My Pro .15 runs about the same and this weekend I'll be breaking in my Sirio .18 So I'll see what it likes.

I tune for temp, oil spittle, sound and performance. I start rich and go lean until it's running good with little hesitation off the line, idles well and will go WOT cleanly.

I try to keep mine between 210-270. Every engine I've owned ran well within that range. Well, except for the TRX2.5 in my first t-maxx... it was gutless regardless of the temp and the temps normally were around 280.

I use temps as a basic reference for a starting point. From there you have to tune for the wx conditions of the day and if your running indoors or outdoors and I tune for performance. If my mill seems sluggish on top then I lean it, if it runs out of smoke before I hit the end of the straight I know it's too lean.

Hey Jet this is off topic.. :OT: ..but you are not a Goldie anymore????No time? dont love us?? Inquireing minds wish to know.

Hey Jet this is off topic.. :OT: ..but you are not a Goldie anymore????No time? dont love us?? Inquireing minds wish to know.

The renewal is hosed up, WoodiE is working on it. I got double dinged, and well, something isn't right.

The renewal is hosed up, WoodiE is working on it. I got double dinged, and well, something isn't right.

Ahh the double ding and no biscuit trick.....I have always wondered about Woodie....J/K

Ok, I was just checking in on you....cuz we all know what you do we will do also...:stick:

Generally, I let either Jet or one of his Team Stranglehold members tune mine! That way, I can blame them when it craps out on me!

Generally I use a screw driver, my fingernails aren't long enough or strong enough to turn those screws!

I tune by performance, then check the temp to make sure its not running too hot. If it reads too high I rich it up a touch, let it cool a bit, then check again.

I have a glow plug related question on tune. In my radical 621p i run a os p3 plug. one day all I could get was a p7 plug. a p7 is colder so does that mean I have to lean out the motor a little. I am running %30 fuel.

The plug names are a little decieving I think. Since it's mainly related to when detonation occurs and timing.

Back