Yesterday at the gas pump...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doom!

Team Dust Devil
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
PSX_20220520_141535.jpg

The bad part is, today at the grocery store, made the gas prices seem tame. I feel a hit to the hobby budget coming. :(

Hey, be thankful they aren't raising taxes 🤪

It's getting ridiculous!

We are still below $5 here in Idaho but I'm sure that goes up towards Boise.
I live in a small town on the Idaho/Oregon border.

The same groceries we bought last year for $160.00 cost us $255.00 today. We are pretty consistent with our groceries give or take ten to twenty bucks. It's been creeping up but ouch. We are about to cut some items out of our grocery list too.

I have already been doing that. I can't even remember the last time I had a steak.
Tell me about it. I used to have steak like once a week, now it's maybe once a month.
View attachment 147088

The bad part is, today at the grocery store, made the gas prices seem tame. I feel a hit to the hobby budget coming. :(
I'm pretty much only driving my truck for work, or to pull my boat. Rest of the time I'm driving around in a an old saturn because it gets about 35mpg. I've stopped fishing bigger lakes too, I stick to the small lakes that are closer to home, where I can stay on the trolling motor 90% of the time and don't have to drive too far get there.

Last edited:
Tell me about it. I used to have steak like once a week, now it's maybe once a month.

I'm pretty much only driving my truck for work, or to pull my boat. Rest of the time I'm driving around in a an old saturn because it gets about 35mpg. I've stopped fishing bigger lakes too, I stick to the small lakes that are closer to home, where I can stay on the trolling motor 90% of the time and don't have to drive too far get there.
I don't know how much groceries are there, but here, by the time you buy the steak, bring it home and cook it - it's almost cheaper just to go to a restaurant and order one.

There are however local farmers who butcher their own beef here and sell it local. I haven't seen one come by in years, but they used to stop by once a month in their truck with some of the best beef and pork, at amazing prices.

I don't know how much groceries are there, but here, by the time you buy the steak, bring it home and cook it - it's almost cheaper just to go to a restaurant and order one.

There are however local farmers who butcher their own beef here and sell it local. I haven't seen one come by in years, but they used to stop by once a month in their truck with some of the best beef and pork, at amazing prices.
Steak has gotten stupid expensive here. Picked up 1lb of skirt steak to make fajitas, it cost $23. A ny strip I used to be able to get for under 10, is now about 18 bucks. But it's not just steak, it's all food, even a damn gallon of milk is closing in on $5. As gas costs continue to rise so will literally everything else, and they're saying expect gas over 6 bucks a gallon here by summer, right now its $4.59, so California residents are really gonna get hit hard.

The price of food is the price of diesel fuel.

What is food? Air, sunlight, water, dirt, time. Water, sunlight, rain, and time, are free. The price of dirt is fairly consistent.
  • fuel to plow the field
  • fuel to plant
  • fuel to harvest
  • fuel to transport to processing facility
  • fuel to transport to warehouse
  • fuel to transport to your local grocery store.
Does the price of food or fuel affect millionaires a lot? "poor people" should be spending most of their income (or my taxes) on food, not cars, stereos, iphones. The price of fuel hits low-income people a thousand times worse than people with large incomes.

I buy RC cars and cheap food with your taxes 🤣

I don't order out much. Maybe two or three times a month, if I find deals. And I try to budget my money so I can prepare meals for $3-$4 each meal max. If I go over that too much, I get in trouble by the end of the month, which has been the case the last few months.

It just sucks, because being disabled means I have to budget my money for a whole month, and pay someone to deliver everything. So I try to make two grocery orders per month max. Tipping kills me, but I do it anyway. Keeping fresh food is sometimes hard to do. Usually by the end of the month, I am eating pretty poorly. But I am pretty creative and often I manage to scrape up some decent stuff.

Steak has gotten stupid expensive here. Picked up 1lb of skirt steak to make fajitas, it cost $23. A ny strip I used to be able to get for under 10, is now about 18 bucks. But it's not just steak, it's all food, even a damn gallon of milk is closing in on $5.
I can kinda understand when things go up across the board, but it irks me with the price of beef steak. The prices skyrocketed before there was any external reasons/issues. There was an interview, last year, with cattle ranchers and they said they were still selling their products at the same price. In other words, it was the "middle men" artificially increasing the prices. 😠

I see a trend. Blue run state = high prices, high taxes, and high crime with no judicial consequences as a function of the local DA and laws. Somehow the people in California just don't see the connection though and keep electing those responsible in big top down government. 🤔

Nice how everything raises but the median income. Here in S. Oregon or median income is right around 45,000 though is really probably more like 40,000. The average home cost is like 350,000 to 400,000. That's one hell of a mortgage payment to try and make plus still eat and drive to work. I work in a skilled trade and have done so for 20 plus years. I can go to work at McDonald's now and make almost the same amount without any exp. Yet if I had a degree it wouldn't be much help either since I make more then most jobs asking for one! I can't help but think the balance of pay vs. Skill vs. Education is not at the ratio that it needs to be. And the Wage vs. Cost is so far apart it's just immoral and defeating. Free Democracy is pretty much a fairy tale I think. This is what happens when the private wealth run the show. It's all down from here I bet money which I don't have in it.

Nice how everything raises but the median income. Here in S. Oregon or median income is right around 45,000 though is really probably more like 40,000. The average home cost is like 350,000 to 400,000. That's one hell of a mortgage payment to try and make plus still eat and drive to work. I work in a skilled trade and have done so for 20 plus years. I can go to work at McDonald's now and make almost the same amount without any exp. Yet if I had a degree it wouldn't be much help either since I make more then most jobs asking for one! I can't help but think the balance of pay vs. Skill vs. Education is not at the ratio that it needs to be. And the Wage vs. Cost is so far apart it's just immoral and defeating. Free Democracy is pretty much a fairy tale I think. This is what happens when the private wealth run the show. It's all down from here I bet money which I don't have in it.
That is pretty much the norm here too. I was a CNC machinist, programmer, and design engineer, and I knew people doing grunt work making more than me. I was irreplaceable because I had way more experience than any guy they could find in that area. I always found it funny that doctors and lawyers and basically anyone with a college education made more than the guys making the parts that worked for years in their trade, and had tons of experience.

They kept trying to bring kids in fresh out of machine technology school to work alongside us. Paying them more than I came in the door with, even having 12 years experience. I tried to teach one of them one time how to load two vises in the machine, and quickly get them inline with each other and deadnuts square. His response was "oh I know how to do that".

The next day after watching him spend 30 minutes trying to get one simple vise squared, I made him move and I did it in less than a minute. That knocked the chip off his shoulder right there. But I went on to explain to him his higher education didn't mean poop in the real world, and when a guy with 25 years experience offers to show him something, he better damn well say "sure, thank you very much".

Sorry to ramble. I actually wrote a huge paper on this subject, and it gets me going.