Yesterday at the gas pump...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bad part is that skilled labor is not being replaced with competent workers. I see it a lot here too. The people who are filling the slots of the folks who are retiring think they know everything and don't listen, don't care or just plain have that entitled attitude, then they are looking for scapegoats when they can't do the job.

Once that experienced knowledge is gone, it's lost. It makes me worry about the future, if the only thing anyone knows how to do is look it up on google. :(

I'm old enough to remember the days of 'apprentice', 'journeyman' and 'master'. That was in the days when one didn't have to go to school and pay to learn a trade. One learned the trade on the job and got paid while learning it instead of paying to learn it.

After retiring from the military, took a job in civilian industry paying far less than my wages prior to joining the military twenty years earlier. Never have figured that out. Sign of the times, I guess.

The bad part is that skilled labor is not being replaced with competent workers. I see it a lot here too. The people who are filling the slots of the folks who are retiring think they know everything and don't listen, don't care or just plain have that entitled attitude, then they are looking for scapegoats when they can't do the job.

Once that experienced knowledge is gone, it's lost. It makes me worry about the future, if the only thing anyone knows how to do is look it up on google. :(
Yeah, that in my opinion is the root of the problems here, and why manufacturing is leaving this country.

I just spoke to a high school kid that said they don't have any shop classes at his high school. I was pretty blown away.

Yeah, that in my opinion is the root of the problems here, and why manufacturing is leaving this country.

I just spoke to a high school kid that said they don't have any shop classes at his high school. I was pretty blown away.

These days they want you to pay to go to a trade school.

These days they want you to pay to go to a trade school.
Yes they do! Our local Community college HAD a "career center" trade school that offered classes on HVAC , auto tech , Cosmetology, and a few other practical courses. Long story short the enrollment has been dropping so much over the last few years they shut it down. You all dont have to tell me about lost skill sets.. I served an apprenticeship in industrial maintenance out of HS with a company that specialized in servicing heat treat/ foundry equipment.. There are some tricks to know about things that havent changed in design since the 1930's and the guys that know those tricks dont share them..

Back