XTM mamoth?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC4LYFE

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey, does anyone have a mamoth, and are they any good, it looks like that theres alot of room to work on them, and the lay out looks great too!, if anyone knows how it runs please tell me,

i have a x-c and it works good.

thanks-

PM Hudler as he has a roller for sale.

What I do know is that it's geared a little tall and the shock towers bend easily.

The XTM 24.7 is a good engine though, and after doubling up the shock towers or getting a good roll cage (rc-solutions), that problem will go away or at least be less of an issue. But, it will be still geared to tall. Maybe a set of smaller tires would help with that, or re-gearing.

Sorry, I don't own one, but I read up on them quite a bit as I was looking to buy one. Then I read up on the savage...

The 2 times I've bashed with it, I've had problems. First time out I bent the rear shock tower. So I suggest buying a set of beefier towers from Jon2 which he sells a pair for $30 or $40. THe second time I stripped the holes of the rear bulk heads and the steering servo broke. So you'll need to upgrade to a much higher torque servo.

The truck is easy to work on and is fast. I have some pics of mine in action in my gallery.

I have one and wish I didn't. While all MTs have their weeknesses the Mammoth seems to have a serious deficiency. Along with the constantly bending shock towers, it has a serious tranny problem.

The front and rear diffs do not seem to hold up when braking hard or accelerating hard on asphalt.

Check this link and read through it;

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/globalforum/viewtopic.php?t=8384

Hobby People have even admitted to the problem in that thread, yet Hobby People offers NO permanent fix.

Last edited:
Savage good, Mammoth good also, I do have a very nice mammoth for sale, you want one ApriliaRacer? J/K. All you need to do is double up the towers and shim the diffs, pretty easily done and then she is a good rig. :cheers:

I own a mammoth and it is not the toughest truggy out of the box, but it is the fastest. I am in the process of shimming the diffs and that should stop the clicking, ( mine was barely clicking and I drive on pavement most of the time), I added a stronger steering servo before I even broke in the engine and added a mx-3 radio, i did bend the rear tower at my first bash session, but it bent back into place. I recently added a Dadders roll cage, which I highly suggest, and 14mm adaptors to run t maxx wheels. Besides the towers which the caged fixed and the diffs which the shims will fix I really enjoy my Mammoth. Read up on the globalhobby forum and make a decision for yourself. There are ups and down about every r/c.

whats a dadders roll cage?

I have some really nice pics of this cage, just not for sure how to load them. The cage is cheaper than an rc-solutions and is built o look like a truck. Very strong, lots of bracing, excellent craftsmanship, and great looks too!! All 1/4 inch aluminum.

sounds like a good truck but i think I'm going with the savage

The cage is mounted solid to the towers and to the rear of the chassis and then has optional clips to mount it the side of the chassis

I have a mammoth and my pull cord messed up on the original motor so I put a Traxxas 3.3 motor on it
I can't believe you have a tiny 3.3 in a mammoth...

Although, pretty sure I saw a video once where a guy put the losi 3.4 in an LST. Just have to really gear it down... or run small tires!