XTM Buggy comes apart!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbones

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So the other day, a buddy of mine gave me a Picco .28 P3 engine (nice guy hey!) and I put it in my XTM XT2 buggy. I put it out in the road and give it the gas and it's burning the tires. I was running hard rubber tires but it's too cold in Michigan right now and they won't bite so I change them out for regular buggy tires. Now she goes. I bring it back in and there's fuel all over it. The HSN came loose. I tighten it up, put it out in the road and give it the gas and I'm doing a doughnut so fast that it looks like a helicopter and it blows the foam right out of one of my back tires. I continued to run it and after about 5 minutes notice the entire rear is flopping around. I pick it up and see that all the rear bulkhead screws have come loose and are almost all the way out. I tighten them back up and off we go. I ran a few more minutes and then coming back up the street it goes to high RPM and stops. I give it some gas and it don't move but revs and goes nowhere. I go to it and see that there are no teeth left on both the first and second speed spur gears because the motor loosened up chewed them off. And now the gas tank is loose and about to go flopping off too! So now it's on my work bench completely apart and I'm putting loctite on everything before I try it again. I guess I'm really not used to a nitro engine making that much power.

Sounds to me like something is causing a nasty vibration in the kit thats shaking everything loose, either that or all the screws were loose? I love my Picco P3's but its not like they are some crazy powerful engine compared to everything else.

Sounds to me like something is causing a nasty vibration in the kit thats shaking everything loose, either that or all the screws were loose? I love my Picco P3's but its not like they are some crazy powerful engine compared to everything else.
It's probably that the screws were already loose. And I'm sure the motor mount bolts were my fault. What engines make more power than this one? Are you talking like .32 engines?

the bigger the engine the more toque typically but unless your powering a really heavy monster truck then theres not gonna be much difference in speed unless you spend more money for a motor that puts out higher RPMs. Higher torque would be great if we had more gearing options available for nitros but without the gearing options the torque to some degree is wasted. For a sub $200 engine the Picco P3 is hard to beat IMO. I have 2 of them and they are my favorite engines but I've never used the high end engines