Xray XT8 2009 or 808 2010?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

someguy1135

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First I must admit that I am completely new to RC cars and trucks. The last RC car I drove was battery powered car that went about 3 mph. That was over 20 years ago...

Anyways, I have recently become very interested in getting a truggy and have spent hours on the net watching videos, reading forum threads and visiting company websites. I had my heart set on the Xray XT8 2009 spec and then I ran into the 808 2010 spec. I was wondering if anyone knows if there are any significant differences between the two? I read all the stuff on the web site but, like I said, I'm a total noob here and most of it was like "blah blah blah, flux capacitor, blah, blah.

I noticed that they are priced about the same and are probably very similar in quality and performance. However, they have different names so they must be different build wise right? I'm just trying to get informed and make the right choice. Thanks in advance for helping me get my feet wet.

Well the XT8 is a Truggy and the 808 is a Buggy...that would be the major difference ;-)

I actually run an XT8 original spec, and an 808 09 Spec at the moment. Love em both.

If you have never been in the world of Hobby grade RC Cars, going to the top of the line stuff like XRay can be both a blessing and a curse to be perfectly honest with you. They are GREAT cars, and the builds are often uneventful. Parts just fit together like a glove 99% of the time with XRay. The vehicles will hold up better than most on the market in this day and age due to the quality, fit, and finish that is XRay. Mugen does come in a VERY close second place though in my opinion.

Now for the downside....

If you are a novice driver, you will crash. The harder you crash...the more chance you have to break parts. Now the XRay will take one helluva beating before it breaks, but if you crash something going at a good speed....it will eventually break. XRay parts are expensive, and not a lot of local hobby shops stock parts for them. So if you have deep pockets and are willing totake the chance that you're going to go through some learning curves with it and your wallet can support that.....Go with the XRay. You will love it...either one.

I would HIGHLY suggest you pick up a used rig to start with though....that way you can learn to drive a hobby grade car without fear of spending a fortune on the kit and then a fortune on parts.

Also realize that when you buy a kit, you get just that. A Rolling RC Car....no electronics....no radio....no engine....sometimes not even a set of wheels come with it.

Just my .02 cents ;-)

Thanks for the info MotoGod. Yeah, I know the kits come 'missing' a few parts. When I first read that I thought :whhooo:. But I got two weeks vacation time coming up and drink on the clock with the boss three times a week so what do I need a vacation from right? Plus I need an expensive hobby to keep me out of the bars when I'm not working:D.

Anyways, I guess what it comes down to is truggy vs. buggy. I've read up on the debate a bit but I am particularly interested in your input since you have both of the cars I'm looking at. I've heard that truggies are a bit easier to control, especially to a newer driver, but that the buggies are more 'graceful' in the hands of an experienced driver. Has this been true with your experience?

Thanks again for your reply and advice

I would suggest an RTR for your first. Fairly inexpensive, depending on what you get, and it takes the guesswork out of which other parts you need to run it.

I don't have any experience with the buggies, but I have a truggy, and it is alot of fun.

The Truggy will be WAY more forgiving on a new driver since you can come up short or jump long and they will typically soak up whatever you throw at them....on the downside they are a tad more sluggish through corners than Buggies...but they can still be pretty nimble.

Buggies are typically way faster (using the same engine anyway) and turn on a dime and are VERY responsive to driver input....which can be a bit too much when you're just learning.....but it can be very rewarding once you figure it out too.

You can't really lose with either one....I started on a Buggy for all of like 2 races....then I swapped to Truggy for the rest of the season and got my feet wet. This season...I'm running both and doing pretty well in both.

I prefer Truggy myself......if that helps ;-)

For your first RC i recommend a KIT because you have to assemble it .You get to know the car a lot better.. And when the first repair comes up you know how it's built.

Back