XP computer won't boot up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
I started one of my computers today, the one running XP Home, the XP logo and the progress bar ran, and rather than the welcome screen coming up, I got a gray screen. Not black. The activity light did not blink any more, and it also locked up my KVM switch. (the hot keys)
I restarted, hit the space bar for Roxio GoBack, reverted my drive back 10 days. Same thing. Did it again and went back 30 days. Same thing.
It's been flawless since I got it, and I don't know what started this. I don't use it on line.
On another attempt to start I chose the option to start at the last start settings (something I hadn't changed) and I got a blue screen that said,
Autochk program not found - Skipping AUTOCHECK
That might have been an attempt at running scandisk since I had to kill power each time it locked up.
Okay comp whizzes, what now?

Have you tried going in with safe mode? I have seen this but when one of my memory sticks have taken a dive. Took one out at a time to see which one and BOOM it started?

When this problem started, I couldn't even get it to start in safe mode. Even when I had the option, and told it to start in safe mode, it would go through the same start up, and freeze in the same place.
Today I got it to start in safe mode. Norton Win Doctor is now running its' tests. If I don't find a problem there, I'll run the other scans.

It definitely sounds like a hardware issue. I am pretty sure once you run norton on it, there will probably be errors on the HD. how old is the computer??

if u got kids, just blame them. lol. i run the Windows Xp and havent had a problem yet, better then windows 95 and 98. good luck.

later

It's about 3 years old, but it's not used much. I have 3 computers here, and the one running XP is pretty much dedicated to CPU intensive simulators. RealFlight G2 for R/C planes and helis, Microsoft Flight Simulator, etc. There are no digital photos or files stored on it other than add-ons for the above mentioned programs.
Just to pinpoint it's age, I purchased it with XP Home OEM, a month before XP was available to the public. Not even Microsoft would give me support until the date of release.
I don't go on line with it, but it is networked through my router to the 2 others. When I start it, it automatically goes to the MS site for updates, and also to Symantec for newest virus definitions, but nothing else.
Last night, in safe mode, Norton ran the virus scan and came up clean. Win Doctor was over in seconds, so that would not run in safe mode.
I was able to get it to boot normally to the desk top last night, but had no keyboard and no mouse. The cursor is there, but it will not move.
So, that's where I'm at now. Any additional advice?
It's an HP Pavilion 7955, 1.5 GHz, 256 MB SDram.
No, Maxx Trooper, no one to blame. The problem started without a warning.
It will start to open safe mode, stay on the list of loaded drivers for about 3 or 4 minutes, then start a normal boot up and freeze again.

If you have good backups I would suggest re-formating and reloding the OS and all your apps. The fact that you lost mouse and keyboard... almost seems that it could be the Motherboard. Without any error msgs or beepcodes its a hard thing to troubleshoot. If a system gets flaky like this I usually start from scratch.

The OS is not on CDs. It's all on a partitioned hard drive. I had to do the total destructive system restore on it about a year ago, but I can't remember what I had to do to get to it.
Everything in it is backed up on CDs, so I won't be losing anything but the time it takes.
The problem is, what if it locks up while trying to replace the OS?
Anyone have the same comp that knows how to access 'Total Destructive System Restore"?

It kills me when computer company's sell you a computer that you pay for the OS in the price and it is not included on CD. At the least there should be a system restore disk that will put your system back to the way it was out of the box....

Only 4 days ago I walked my neighbor through a system restore. He had 5 CDs that came with the computer. Both my other computers have disks to redo the OS, but I've never needed them.
I paid a thousand bucks (without monitor) for the one with XP, and the company saved 20 cents by not providing disks.

What I have been doing lately at home is using Ghost to create images direct to CD of my computer with OS and Apps all installed and setup. I usually save my data to a diffrent drive that gets backed up daily. I just purchaced a DVD burner a few months ago since my images are geting way too big for CD-R's I will start burning them direct to DVD. I make them bootable... as soon as I run into trouble as long as I have good data backups I can restore anytime.

Your reply just kicked a thought loose. I don't know if it can be done with the OS on the partitioned drive, but I seem to recall that there is a way of doing what's called a "non destructive system restore".
What that does is replace the OS without wiping out files or programs.
Any info on how that could be done?

fiddlesticks it and run linux! Windows is satan and :horsecrap

Back