Xmaxx uprade to max 5 g2 56118 800kv

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rceverywhere

RCTalk Racer
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Boating
I've had my x maxx 8s probably 3 years or so.
When I first got it searched videos and bought up grades to the most common problems I saw, but wanted to keep it light so as not to break it constantly as it seems a stock truck takes a better beating than one that was half metal.
Over the years I always thought my truck was fun but to slow. Maybe it was maybe it was just me getting used to it. Just last summer it got into my head I wanted more power! Did a max 6 esc upgrade and it was a little better, started to have a hard time keeping the stock tires on it! When I asked my lhs what the best motor was he said on max 6 stock motor only! Oh dear! So I went full nuts with a max 5 g2 and a motor rated for up to 12s! Ouhps. Lol

20240123_144318.jpg

20240123_191337.jpg

20240123_194413.jpg

20240123_194435.jpg

20240123_194510.jpg

20240124_134932.jpg

20240124_134945.jpg

20240124_135012.jpg

20240124_135037.jpg

20240124_135510.jpg

The process went well but alot of things needed to be changed to fit in all that power.
Motor mount, esc mount, pinion and spur, new motor fan wit separate 3s battery just for them. New j concepts magma tires. Alot of things have been changed over the years so max power was the next thing I wanted.

20240124_135645.jpg

20240124_140312.jpg

20240124_140852.jpg

This thing has got serious power now! I don't think I'll ever get to needing 12s ... for now. Lol

Looks like fun! Thanks for sharing!
The truck is insane now, I guess I wasn't going to be happy until there was too much power! Now I'm happy!
It's funny ... I love rock crawling and I make them go as slow as possible for the most fun, but make sure there's enough on tap to get that burst to jump up a big obstacle.
Since I've been posting, I've found it adds a new element of fun to share my joy.
Thanks for commenting, it's as rewarding as seeing my rc's as I intended with the mods available. I can't be the only one this addicted. Lol

For sure there are many entry level rtr's that are great for a new Comer to the hobby. They must do it on purpose so when you get bitten by the rc bug you have the possibility of going to no end on what you can dream up. It's got to be like any addiction, but at least we can keep the car if we spend all our money on them.

You built a great basher. Looks like a lot of fun. What motor mount did you use? That fan setup looks sick. I need to do something similar. I like the idea of running fans on a separate battery. Very cool.

You built a great basher. Looks like a lot of fun. What motor mount did you use? That fan setup looks sick. I need to do something similar. I like the idea of running fans on a separate battery. Very cool.
Thanks, it been slowly getting to this point, this is a big step in one shot. I went cheap on motor mount, it's a ali express 7075 mount, was like 68$, the fan housing is 3d printed has two fans that are really load and run on 3s, I didn't plug them on the open field run ... forgot the seperate battery. Got pretty warm but the stock traxxas temp probe is glued on the motor and didn't cut it out. It's pretty fast ... I put 30 30 pinion spur 1.5 mod from vitavon. Hate to see it on 12s, be more like a plane!

I like your truck a lot. What I would like to know is who made your motor fan mount?

I agree that 12s would be overkill. I typically like overkill but the Xmaxx gets crazy enough on 8s for me.

Those vitavon gears are pricey. I tried their mod 1.5 kit and it didn't last very long. Probably my fault as I am borderline abusive to bashers. Hot Racing makes now makes 1.5 mod sets for the Xmaxx and I've had good luck with them so far.

M2C makes some pretty cool hop up parts for the X. Their motor mount system is great. They make an adjustable rear motor support to keep that heavy can from moving around. Not cheap but worth a look.

I like your truck a lot. What I would like to know is who made your motor fan mount?
It's a 3d printed housing, I got it from a lhs in deux montagnes Quebec, lfrc. I assume the print file can be found, not sure if he printed that part but he printed the esc mount, gear cover even the front and rear bumper upper brace out of a rubber filament

I don’t know nearly as much about rc cars as most here I’m betting. But, I do know this much. With that kind of power and weight, put a beef cake chassis brace on it to help gear life out.

That’s a really nice truck man. I love nitro trucks. But, nothing beats an Xmaxx in my book. I’m quite happy with stock power. I don’t have big enough ground to build one faster. But, if I had that field, I’d probably upgrade mine. And let it EAT!

Back