X-maxx shock and diff oil

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh nice.. you change your diff fluid. Sweet. It turns much better for you know. And you should notice the inside front tire doesn't balloon as much while turning also. With the earplugs in center. It should keep the front wheels down a little more.

The thing with changing out the esc. Is that honestly Traxxas electronics suck big time. They have always suck even back when they first came out. It's the one thing that truly sucks about Traxxas.. they need to put more money into R&D on their electronics.

And they tried with the VXL. but they feel short again as always. Especially with the VXL in the Xmaxx. It definitely works and they are able to sell it as a RTR. But that's about all it good for.

It's not the rite esc for delivering or handling the power and amp/voltage draw. That the 8s 1250kv motor need to move that heavy beast of a truck.. The esc has a small window of gearing ratio to run. With it not over heating and catching fire. Especially with the little fan it has.

It's usually the first to go along with the servo next or vice-versa. The servos are 100% crap made with all plastic gears with no real power or any good tourqe. The servo has a hard time turning those big as* tires of the X with all the weight of truck sitting on them.

They have crapped/burnt out on alot of people. Just running it in grass or sand or dirt. Just turning the wheels after working on it while its sitting on the ground or work bench which puts alot of strain/stress on the servo.

That will usually always end up being a bad day. And over stressing the servo while using it at its max. The factory usually sets them on 100% for quality controll testing before shipping then out. And they never turn them down to a respectable good percentage for use. Which is another reason the servo will burn out.

Alot of people don't know any better. They just go to the hobby shop. And ask whats the biggest badest truck/ car they have. That everyone is using or talking about , or the newest RC they have. When they want or thinking about getting into the hobby the first time. And they end up buying the Xmaxx.

I've seen videos of guys pulling the truck out of the box for the first time. And not even look over it. Or check the mesh of gears. Or the diff fluids or shocks. Or go threw the manual before driving it.

And they strip the gears before the end of driveway. Or they think the Auto flip is the best thing ever. And keep holding the button untill it flips or breaks.Not realizing it only works on certain types of ground. And they blow apart their diffs gears or rip the pin/spur. to shreds. Then bitch and moan about the Xmaxx. That it is a pc of poop truck. That burnt up or broke with in the first lipo pack of run time. Auto flip is another bad idea of traxxas to install on the trucks.

But most RC enthusiasts that run traxxas vehicles will tell you. They love Taxxas vehicles. But the electronics 100% suck and the first thing to do is pull them out. So they dont have to worry about fires.

Like the esc over heating issues. And melting or catching fire. From just running laps on grass. Or continued full throttle runs back and forth at the park. Amd once you start upgrades the esc can't take any added weight to the truck. It's basically at its max out of the box..

With a max6 or max5. Or the castle monster x 8s, or the XLX2. They are much better quality built esc. They can handle much bigger heavier truck with bigger powerful motors and handle tons of power and amps draw. With much better heat sinks and cooling fans. Better bec voltage adjustability. Better power distribution and set up. With much more to control and fine tune.Then the traxass esc.

Traxxas doesn't really have any real specs on their electronics. Only that it take 33v. There is also no adjustability or fine tunning in regards to punch control levels or with any other tunning abilities.

i really dont like the new ID connectors or they way.They try to say you can only use their lipos on their rc and with their charger. Whitch their lipos also suck. Over rated, over priced under C rated lipos. That are really made for someone that doesn't know any better or what they are doing and kids..

To be honest the the Hobbywing 1100kv didn't add that much more weight. The parts that will add alot weight. Is when guys start adding all the aluminium parts they can find or see. Thinking they are stronger. The RCs are designed with break points in them. So adding the stronger aluminum parts. You just move the break point from a 10$ part to the inner parts of the truck that costs alot more.

I personally don't like to many aluminum parts. I won't buy any aluminum parts that are part of the drive and suspension. Or any part that takes the hit from landings. Like A arms, shock towers, Shock mounts. I like the plastic parts they actually have a bit of flex to them. Which helps on hard landing. There is also little tricks you can do to the plastic parts. That will help them become a little strong and flexible.

And it is all about personal preference. And what you want to get from your Rc. And how you want it to look and drive. How fast or how durable it is to take the landing from being launched. That's the best part of the hobby no two rcs are the same. But they all bring us joy amd happiness. When driven and bashing. Untill you break it .then bring it home fix it and do it all over again next weekend... .
Appreciate your response. I agree that the Traxxas electronics are not good but same could be said of Spektrum as well. I know with spektrum they rebrand it from HobbyWing but many people still upgrade the electronics as well or buy them as rollers. Seems that most stock electronics in any RTR need to be upgraded to unlock the full potential.

I’m at the point where if it ain’t broke don't fix it kind of mind set. If the ESC burns out so be it. I will throw in a max6 or max5 even. I figure, at this stand point, if i am not going to upgrade the the motor why upgrade the esc? I understand that the esc is junk and mostly made for the weekend warriors who want the biggest baddest thing at the hobby shop, but if it works…it works.

I have definitively gone down the path of what upgrades I can do this this Xmaxx. I've compiled various parts list with different motor and ESC mounts. What upgrades I have done so far are the front and rear hub carriers got upgraded right away as well as the stock bearings. Other then that I haven't touched to much of it and it's held up nice. Like you mentioned with aluminum parts once you start to tweak one thing you start to mess with something else. If I am going change the esc on this thing I might as well change a lot of other things while I am at it. Is the Max6 a worthy upgrade with the stock motor? I guess that leaves it up to the buyer. Having used the VXL-8s and the Max6 in the Xmaxx with the stock motor I think they are very comparable in regards to performance. Maybe not in longevity.

For testing purposes I put the VXL-8s in my Talion (On Mojave chassis) and paired with with a HobbyStar 4092 1730kv motor. Both the Max6 and VXL-8s performed about the same again, with the slight edge going to the max6 being that I could adjust the punch to my liking. On 8s it was an animal and ran it again on 6s and found very similar results. I didn't do speed testing with a GPS, more of a test and feel on the same terrain. Sure I could be biased a little but I wanted the Max6 to be leaps and bounds better then the VXL-8s.

I also dislike the Traxxas connectors and any proprietary connectors for that matter. One of the first things I did after getting the vehicle was change them out to IC5 connectors, in hindsight I should have done QS8 but easy fix and I like to solder.

I agree about not wanting to add aluminum. Like you said just causes breaking points at other spots.

My next thing to upgrade on this thing is definitely the servo but I knew it was weak prior to purchasing it. I did a lot of research on this vehicle and not just by watching YouTubers sending it as far as they can go for views. Was watching repair videos, how to change the diffs etc. Like you mentioned for yourself I enjoy wrenching just as much as driving them. I do dislike how many more things you need to dissamble to get to things on the Xmaxx, like the servo and the center diff. I did make sure however to set my steering endpoints on my servo. I honestly believe that is the main reason that servos go bad for people at least the ones that go bad so quickly.

Appreciate all the knowledge you have shared with me. I will definitely keep the parts that you mentioned on my list of worthy upgrades.

Edit:

I don't use the auto flip. Seems like a good way to just chew up some gears.

Last edited:
30 wt on stock shocks?? wtf Traxxas :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe: bottom out 24/7 id go 50 wt. that what i run now and its nice a smoove lol. no chassis slapping here!!

Back