X-Maxx Rebuild Gearing Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearMonkey

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Scale Builder
Hey folks.

My next RC rebuild project is going to be my X-Maxx (once my current Desert Racer project is finished). The X-Maxx I have is 8s and is running the stock motor and gearing, though the ESC is now a HobbyWing Max6. I have a question about gearing. According to my future design plans, when my X-Maxx is rebuilt, it is going to weigh well over 40 pounds. I want to bulk up the motor/ESC/gearing/everything else necessary to be able to handle that much weight without frying the electronics. Any opinions on how I do this? The stock gearing has got to go, and I am going to likely swap out the motor for a bigger one with lower KV. At the end of the day, I need to sacrifice speed to put all emphasis on low end torque. I am so far thinking of something like this.

• Replace stock Velineon 1200XL motor with something like the Leopard 58113.
  • Potentially replace the HobbyWing Max6 ESC with the HobbyWing Max5.
  • Replace stock gearing with MOD 1.5 (trying to figure out gear ratio here).

I am already running RPM suspension arms (upper and lower), threaded steel RPM suspension pins, the upgraded Traxxas heavy-duty servo and RPM rear axle carriers with larger bearings. I will be replacing the front axle carriers with the oversized RPM ones with the huge bearings too.

Any additional ideas? The project is not starting until later this year, so this is all design work being done ahead. I figure I will start the work after Christmas. My UDR project still has another 150+ hours of work to go before I am allowing myself to start something new.

Thanks all.

Welcome to the RC mad house. How much weight you talking above 40lbs. Because that's alot of weight. In a RC truck. If and when it crashes. It wont be pretty.you going pretty much double of it. Now.. Any reason why? Just curious 🤔. With that weight your and tourqe and power. You will definitely need some big batteries to power it. Your probably going to need higher tourqe servo. Better driveaxles, axle stubs and center shaft. Stronger/ better shocks. It will all come down to the $$$ you want to spend? The set up you thinking will work. Or you can just go with ....The max 5 v3 and the wing 1100kv or 800kv
castle XLX2 esc 1100kb or 800kv combo. Built for heavier RCs
Or the spectrum firma 160amp esc
You can always gear it up for speed with the lower kv motor. With the 1.5 mod gear. Can go b&m. GDS or WOF would be top choices I believe. With that much weight your probably looking It really comes down to what your looking for and how much you want to spend bud
Screenshot_20210803-221721_Google.jpg

Looking
pinon 18T.-25T MOD 1.5
Spur 20T-35T MOD 1.5
All depends on what your looking to get out of the modes?

Attachments

• spurs-gears.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
You also might want to look into the belt drive system. For the Xmaxx. Might be a better fit for all that weight. Keep temos down?
Here's a gear ratio with belt drive and 1.5 mod gears
Screenshot_20210804-051204_Google.jpg

Last edited:
I'm curious to know what you're planning that will double the weight of the Xmaxx! :)

Before replacing electronics Id just run a small 11 or 12T pinion with the biggest spur I could find and see if that doesn't work first before swapping out electronics.

Something else to think about is locating shock springs that will support a 40lb Xmaxx

I'm curious to know what you're planning that will double the weight of the Xmaxx! :)

Before replacing electronics Id just run a small 11 or 12T pinion with the biggest spur I could find and see if that doesn't work first before swapping out electronics.

Something else to think about is locating shock springs that will support a 40lb Xmaxx
There's definitely alot to think about and consider. When the Rc is reahing 40+ lbs. Your Kra8 is a ripping microwave. This will be a ripping job box.🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thanks guys for all of the replies. The primary weight gain will be the wheels and tires. My plan is to use the Raminator wheels in it. Those are 5 lbs EACH. Then I am planning a custom body with likely a soldered or brazed frame to hold all of the interior. And once all of this is in it, it won't be expected to be terribly fast. My idea though is that the new body will be removable, so in that case I can easily put my current Russian Dodge Ram body back on and bash it. All of the real detailing will be in the body. All of the mechanical pieces will stay on permanently though (motor, ESC, etc).

Thanks guys for all of the replies. The primary weight gain will be the wheels and tires. My plan is to use the Raminator wheels in it. Those are 5 lbs EACH. Then I am planning a custom body with likely a soldered or brazed frame to hold all of the interior. And once all of this is in it, it won't be expected to be terribly fast. My idea though is that the new body will be removable, so in that case I can easily put my current Russian Dodge Ram body back on and bash it. All of the real detailing will be in the body. All of the mechanical pieces will stay on permanently though (motor, ESC, etc).
That's cool man 👍👍That's is going to be a awesome build. Definitely got to to post up some pics. What you got going on with the Racer your doing now?
With those tiers probably going to need a completely stronger drive train

I'm actually going to create a dedicated build thread for it. I've been working on it for almost eight months on and off. Almost 200 hours into it so far. I'll post the link once it's up.

I'm actually going to create a dedicated build thread for it. I've been working on it for almost eight months on and off. Almost 200 hours into it so far. I'll post the link once it's up.
Thays awesome can't wait to see it

You can make it 40lbs and fast if ya want. Just depends on how much money you want to throw at it :)

Back